New Gaming PC - Max Budget £1500

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I think with the Lancool, you’ll get one front fan, one rear fan and one top fan. Nobody here has ever had a bad word to say about that case so you should be fine without paying for extra ones. If you ever do feel things are hotting up more than you’d like in there we can always advise on fitting extras, just post a thread and someone will jump in 👍

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
And sorry to be a pain and keep hassling about the cooler but I just want to post this thread for you to have a look at before you make that order, @Scott and @SpyderTracks really know what they’re talking about so might be worth having a gander...

You really need the Strix motherboard with the 3900 level chips....and they need a higher end cooler like the one previously discussed
Why do I need a Strix Motherboard? Does my current one not support them?

Also the 3900 is only 65 TDP so do I really need a higher end water cooler?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The 3900 isn't going to be particularly good for gaming. It's a low fat version of the 3900X which is the gaming/performance chip. The 3900 is reserved for DTR Laptops etc, I wouldn't have it in a desktop system personally.

As much as there are workloads that the 3900 will beat the 3800XT in, there aren't many real world uses where it will come out on top. For gaming the 3800XT will be FAR better.

I wouldn't waste money on the 2060, the 3060 is due out very soon and will make it look like a paperweight. Better to save the money and go with a more appropriate GPU like the 1660 Super (for the monitor).

With regards to the cooling, the 100 isn't the best cooler. You would be better off just saving the money and going with the stock cooler to be honest. If you want a proper cooler on there then you want the 240 coolermaster as a minimum or the H100i RGB platinum as a premium option. There's absolutely no point in half measures with the cooling, you can take it on through to the next system etc. Of course it's up to yourself but if you search for temperature threads on here there are a number of "we did try to tell you" posts when the systems end up under-performing to their optimum. There is always a difference between functional and optimal.

With all that into consideration, the build originally specced by @AgentCooper, although with the 1660 Super and RMx PSU, would be perfect IMO.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
The 3900 isn't going to be particularly good for gaming. It's a low fat version of the 3900X which is the gaming/performance chip. The 3900 is reserved for DTR Laptops etc, I wouldn't have it in a desktop system personally.

As much as there are workloads that the 3900 will beat the 3800XT in, there aren't many real world uses where it will come out on top. For gaming the 3800XT will be FAR better.

I wouldn't waste money on the 2060, the 3060 is due out very soon and will make it look like a paperweight. Better to save the money and go with a more appropriate GPU like the 1660 Super (for the monitor).

With regards to the cooling, the 100 isn't the best cooler. You would be better off just saving the money and going with the stock cooler to be honest. If you want a proper cooler on there then you want the 240 coolermaster as a minimum or the H100i RGB platinum as a premium option. There's absolutely no point in half measures with the cooling, you can take it on through to the next system etc. Of course it's up to yourself but if you search for temperature threads on here there are a number of "we did try to tell you" posts when the systems end up under-performing to their optimum. There is always a difference between functional and optimal.

With all that into consideration, the build originally specced by @AgentCooper, although with the 1660 Super and RMx PSU, would be perfect IMO.

@Scott rubbing it in that I accidentally put the TXm and the Ti in there... that hurts. Ouch town, population: me :LOL:

Last edited: