New PCS laptop Recoil 17.3” crashing at startup

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Fully updated windows, and took a look at the last Unknown Device, an I assume this is the GPU not being recognised properly
Yeah, that device ID isn't recognised on the web.

My guess is the card is failing to boot and so posting an invalid code.

I'm afraid that's looking like it will need an RMA

You can create one in your main PCS account, just log in, then go to My Returns / Request an RMA

1619202154816.png

But then just to be sure, I'd give them a call first thing tomorrow, or even tonight if you're able to before 8pm and just see if they can put a priority on it since it's DOA.

LeSpicey

Yes, both power bricks are connected to the laptop :)
I have sent Application and System event logs to PCS, if you want I can post them here too, as I don’t understand them.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have sent Application and System event logs to PCS, if you want I can post them here too, as I don’t understand them.
No, that's definitely a hardware fault with the GPU then, PCS will need to take a look at it.

Real shame, hopefully they can turn it around quickly and get it back to you asap.

LeSpicey

I have one waiting to be sent, but it seems I can’t request a return outside of Europe, which considering I’m leaving in 10 days would most likely not work for me...

LeSpicey

To be honest, with such a short schedule to work with, I am probably going to ask for a cancellation with refund, which is a shame because I would have loved using that laptop.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
To be honest, with such a short schedule to work with, I am probably going to ask for a cancellation with refund, which is a shame because I would have loved using that laptop.
Yeah, completely understand, it's not really going to be feasible if you need to leave Europe.

Real shame, so sorry about that, would have been an insane laptop!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Post the logs (see the last post in the thread for details) and we'll take a look. It does sound like a GPU issue to me too though. :(

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I see in that event log that there is a load of WHEA errors pointing to Intel(R) PEG10 - 4C01 so yes RMA it looks like.
I'm not sure that we're looking at the same logs here? I see no WHEA errors at all, though there are some WER files referenced in the Application log for two or three AppHang errors.

In the System log there is a bug check with a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION stop code on 23rd April at 21:51. The bug check indicates that a kernel dump was written to C:\Windows\Memory.dmp so please upload that dump to the cloud with a link to it here. The bug check happened because a deferred procedure call or interrupt service routing stalled for some reason - these problem are usually associated with drivers but we need the kernel dump to identify the cause. Given what we already know I'd bet it's the graphics driver too. ;)

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
I'm not sure that we're looking at the same logs here? I see no WHEA errors at all, though there are some WER files referenced in the Application log for two or three AppHang errors.

In the System log there is a bug check with a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION stop code on 23rd April at 21:51. The bug check indicates that a kernel dump was written to C:\Windows\Memory.dmp so please upload that dump to the cloud with a link to it here. The bug check happened because a deferred procedure call or interrupt service routing stalled for some reason - these problem are usually associated with drivers but we need the kernel dump to identify the cause. Given what we already know I'd bet it's the graphics driver too. ;)
Look in the sysEvent file, right down at the bottom you should see

Code:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1:0x0
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4C01&SUBSYS_77151558&REV_01
Secondary Device Name:

Theres where the issue is starting i think DEV_4C01 is Intel(R) PEG10 - 4C01 if that PEG10 is what i think it is, its to do with the GPU and the MXM slot on the board.

Also new here so i don't wish to step on other tech savy members that have been around longer then me.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Code:

Secondary Device Name:

Theres where the issue is starting i think DEV_4C01 is Intel(R) PEG10 - 4C01 if that PEG10 is what i think it is, its to do with the GPU and the MXM slot on the board.

Also new here so i don't wish to step on other tech savy members that have been around longer then me.
That would line up with the symptoms in that windows device manager isn't reading the GPU as a valid device, it's given a nonsense hardware ID and the driver fails to install as it states there is no valid device.

My guess is it was working when built as the correct driver was initially installed (as we'd expect), but since the OP first booted, it now seems to have failed.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Code:

Secondary Device Name:

Not at all, it was well spotted. :)

I was filtering only Critical and Error logs, but you were right to look at the whole nine yards. Welcome to the forum! :)

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
That would line up with the symptoms in that windows device manager isn't reading the GPU as a valid device, it's given a nonsense hardware ID and the driver fails to install as it states there is no valid device.

My guess is it was working when built as the correct driver was initially installed (as we'd expect), but since the OP first booted, it now seems to have failed.

It could be many things, however i an leaning to the same path as you with it being hardware damage, it might be on the mainboard / mxm slot or the gpu.

Its why when i get my laptop which is a Recoil, i will be booting and stress testing it with it stock config before placing all my parts in.

@ubuysa thanks it could be what is causing the hang with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, because like @SpyderTracks has pointed out its not picking up the GPU device id correctly. If the OP was able to use GPU-Z it might help with pin point the Device ID issue.

LeSpicey

That is definitely possible, since when it arrived, I booted it and ran the updates.
Though it didn’t download the NVIDIA drivers through windows update, even though GeForce Experience said that it needed to install something.
Now that I think about it, I don’t remember if GeForce Experience needed to update the drivers or install them at first boot.
Since the GPU seems to be causing the error, that got me wondering.