New PCS laptop Recoil 17.3” crashing at startup

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
That is definitely possible, since when it arrived, I booted it and ran the updates.
Though it didn’t download the NVIDIA drivers through windows update, even though GeForce Experience said that it needed to install something.
Now that I think about it, I don’t remember if GeForce Experience needed to update the drivers or install them at first boot.
Since the GPU seems to be causing the error, that got me wondering.

Ok best option use GPU-Z, then screenshot the output so we can then check the device id out. If the card has gone bad it will fail.
Also did you try Clevo's VGA driver if so which folder did you use as there is two of them. DC and Standard.

I also noticed in the event logs Intel MEI is having issues and the Thunderbolt 4 controller driver is having issues too.

However the WHEA errors are the first priority to resolve which would cause DPC errors.

Hold on just had a brain storm, I wonder if it has anything to do with the bios? Maybe resetting that back to defaults might help.

Last edited:

LeSpicey

I haven’t touched anything in the BIOS, do you know if there might be an update maybe?
Or where do we get the Bios updates if there are any?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I haven’t touched anything in the BIOS, do you know if there might be an update maybe?
Or where do we get the Bios updates if there are any?
All BIOS updates need to be done through PCS, but I think the query is more to check in the BIOS for PCIe power settings if there are any, just to make sure the dGPU isn't disabled or something like that.

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
All BIOS updates need to be done through PCS, but I think the query is more to check in the BIOS for PCIe power settings if there are any, just to make sure the dGPU isn't disabled or something like that.

I was thinking more like doing a Bios reset, just incase Something OS messed something up. Not sure if things like PCIe options are enabled in the Insydeh2o Graphical UEFI.

Entering UEFI Bios is normally either F2 ESC or DELL.

LeSpicey

I have restored the default optimal, though nothing has changed in the settings.
I’m going to try downloading GPU-Z in safe mode to see what it gives me.

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
Ok i am also looking at the drivers and have noticed that the Chipset driver from intel includes PEG drivers in it.

So it might be worth going to the Download section in your account and downloading the chipset drivers from there and running the PCI5X17.exe file to see if that fixes the WHEA PEG10 error.

LeSpicey

Ok i am also looking at the drivers and have noticed that the Chipset driver from intel includes PEG drivers in it.

So it might be worth going to the Download section in your account and downloading the chipset drivers from there and running the PCI5X17.exe file to see if that fixes the WHEA PEG10 error.
I’m pretty sure that’s one of the first drivers I installed, but I’m going to try and see what that gives me

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
I’m pretty sure that’s one of the first drivers I installed, but I’m going to try and see what that gives me

However did you use the setup.exe ??? if so might be worth just trying running PCI5X17.exe instead.

Edit: Being Naught i have opened that .exe file in HxD and it has Device ID's and a GUID Blob so the chances are you need to run that file.

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
I ran the PCI5X17.exe as I assumed it could be running additional stuff that setup might not be running
#Yet the issue is still present, have you managed to see if GPU-Z picks up the GPU?

Also looking at the images you posted the ACPI\NVDA0820 is a NVIDIA Platform Controllers and Framework.

Edit: I have also noticed something strange with the PCS X170KM VGA driver, it has two folders. DC has the Display driver and a WIN32UX which has everything else its like its split in two sections which is strange.

Did you use that driver set?

Only last thing i can think of after this might be stupid however didn't AMD have issues with WHEA errors causing DPC BSODS with Samsung SSD as of late.

Last edited:

LeSpicey

I haven’t been able to start safe mode yet, the laptop struggles to even start properly altogether after the crashes start happening.

As for the VGA driver, I don’t remember which one I tried, but I know that I also tried downloading manually from NVIDIA’s website as well as from GeForce Experience

How would I go about installing the drivers from the VGA folder in the most efficient way?

LeSpicey

And here’s what GPU-Z gives me.
No RTX3080 detected.

Edit: Wait... I attempted to install the GPU drivers manually again, while in safe mode,
and it installed without any issues.
I am adding the GPU-Z window showing the 3080.

Let’s see what a restart does.

Attachments

• 14AF9DAB-DD21-40CC-A579-12031693E3FD.jpeg
    14AF9DAB-DD21-40CC-A579-12031693E3FD.jpeg
    890.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 997CE0DE-C06C-401D-A437-84A0AA202880.jpeg
    997CE0DE-C06C-401D-A437-84A0AA202880.jpeg
    943.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Only last thing i can think of after this might be stupid however didn't AMD have issues with WHEA errors causing DPC BSODS with Samsung SSD as of late.
We've not seen any specific to SSDs on here. We were getting plenty with 3600MHz RAM a while back though. :)

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all just woke up so if I don't make sense its because I lack coffee.

By the looks of it the GPU drivers installed in the end.

Is the system still sluggish ?

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

LeSpicey

Yeah, the system still doesn‘t boot up.
I have noticed also that Windows says GPU-Z can’t be started in safe mode, so that means when I made those two photos,
it was not in safe mode.
And the drivers were not installed. Could the Start-up repair have uninstalled them to allow windows to start?
As always, the system can’t take it once the GPU drivers are installed.

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
I take it this is was a clean Windows 10 install?.

See Normally what I do is install Windows without it being connected to the internet at all.

I then Install the drivers from the OEM support page or in the case with PCS the Download section in my account.

If you give me a few moments to have my Vape and coffee I could guide you on install order I use.

If after this you still have issues it would be best to RMA or as you said return laptop for refund which would be a shame, but I understand you have time restraints.

So looking at the PCS Downloads i have already downloaded for my x170 from PCS the install order would be

1. 01_Chipset
  2. 04_IRST (Skip if your not running RAID)
  3. 02_Serial_IO
  4. 03_GNA
  5. 06_HIDfilter
  6. 07_MEI
  7. 03_VGA (Install DC first then Win32UX after)
  8. 11_Audio
  9. 10_TBT
  10. 04_LAN
  11. 01_WLAN
  12. 05_Cardreader
  13. 02_FingerPrint

Remember to restart the system if asked if you want to restart. See if this helps.
Only when you have installed all drivers and its working correctly then connect it to the Internet as Microsoft has a habit to install drivers from other OEM's (I have had this issue on my dead laptop where it was install DELL drivers for Audio on an MSI system).

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I take it this is was a clean Windows 10 install?.

See Normally what I do is install Windows without it being connected to the internet at all.

I then Install the drivers from the OEM support page or in the case with PCS the Download section in my account.

If you give me a few moments to have my Vape and coffee I could guide you on install order I use.

If after this you still have issues it would be best to RMA or as you said return laptop for refund which would be a shame, but I understand you have time restraints.

So looking at the PCS Downloads i have already downloaded for my x170 from PCS the install order would be

1. 01_Chipset
  2. 04_IRST (Skip if your not running RAID)
  3. 02_Serial_IO
  4. 03_GNA
  5. 06_HIDfilter
  6. 07_MEI
  7. 03_VGA (Install DC first then Win32UX after)
  8. 11_Audio
  9. 10_TBT
  10. 04_LAN
  11. 01_WLAN
  12. 05_Cardreader
  13. 02_FingerPrint

Remember to restart the system if asked if you want to restart. See if this helps.
Only when you have installed all drivers and its working correctly then connect it to the Internet as Microsoft has a habit to install drivers from other OEM's (I have had this issue on my dead laptop where it was install DELL drivers for Audio on an MSI system).
That's useful in this case, the problem though is that the PCS drivers are those at the time of build and are not updated, they thus become quite out of date in time.

We routinely recommend allowing Window Update to find all the drivers that it can. We'd only suggest using the PCS downloads for drivers that Windows Update doesn't find (which isn't many) or for control software (like gaming center on laptops).