New Router??

Blujelly

A good Mesh System

however really depends on size of property and what you have or likely have on your network, that and ISP network speed etc do play a part.

Oh and of course budget lol.
So I wouldn’t know of the type property size, just a standard 3 bedroom? 😂

13 connected devices 2 are Ethernet, the remaining 11 are broke down to 2 5ghz devices and 9 2.4ghz devices. I’m with virgin at 350 mbs

budget I’d say a half decent mid range if such thing exists? The router I night was on a sale at £80 but I’m happy to go a bit if required? I can’t really say the house gets ‘dead spots’ on devices just more the final strength for the ring devices that sucks, as they’re at the opposite end of the house.

Gavras

Master Poster
So I wouldn’t know of the type property size, just a standard 3 bedroom? 😂

13 connected devices 2 are Ethernet, the remaining 11 are broke down to 2 5ghz devices and 9 2.4ghz devices. I’m with virgin at 350 mbs

budget I’d say a half decent mid range if such thing exists? The router I night was on a sale at £80 but I’m happy to go a bit if required? I can’t really say the house gets ‘dead spots’ on devices just more the final strength for the ring devices that sucks, as they’re at the opposite end of the house.
If you went the Netgear Orbi route, a base and satellite would be find, unless large garden coverage also required.

There are more WiFi 6 mesh systems coming out, the Orbi Mesh WiFi 6 units are pricey, however they are excellent.

it’s not so much dead spots but consistent upload / download and even with multiple ipads, console, PC all on still being able to game etc.

Blujelly

If you went the Netgear Orbi route, a base and satellite would be find, unless large garden coverage also required.

There are more WiFi 6 mesh systems coming out, the Orbi Mesh WiFi 6 units are pricey, however they are excellent.

it’s not so much dead spots but consistent upload / download and even with multiple ipads, console, PC all on still being able to game etc.
So something like?

NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi Network System - Eliminate WiFi Dead Zones and Enhance Speeds With Up To 2000 sq ft coverage, Replaces Router and Wifi Booster (RBK12) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YQGZY74/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_non4FbSA3CF7Z

Gavras

Master Poster
So something like?

NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi Network System - Eliminate WiFi Dead Zones and Enhance Speeds With Up To 2000 sq ft coverage, Replaces Router and Wifi Booster (RBK12) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YQGZY74/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_non4FbSA3CF7Z
I was thinking on lines of this.

Howver sticking to the one you linked to, there is a WiFi 6 version - not read any reviews on it though.

I am upgrading mine when I eventually move house and will be going for these.

Blujelly

So if I moved over to this

If I was to put some Ethernet extender into the mesh router, do you think it would cause any problems? Only because I have 4 devices which I’d like to keep where they are, rather then running cables anywhere.

Gavras

Master Poster
So if I moved over to this

If I was to put some Ethernet extender into the mesh router, do you think it would cause any problems? Only because I have 4 devices which I’d like to keep where they are, rather then running cables anywhere.
One of reasons I went with the following was to plug in some wired devices (secondary alarm, some non WiFi stuff etc).

the Satellites 📡 have 4 spare ports which gave me 4 for garden and 4 downstairs.

not sure about extender, however Netgear do their own, so should be compatible.

Gavras

Master Poster
Slightly off topic, but the following review is for the system I have.

Admittedly I have had mine a while now, however I can agree with the review.

Tri Band and guest network really are great additions, I tend to use (as per review) Guest for Alexa controlled devices.

I think these are Dual band, therefore do not have same back haul channel.

Some reviews.

Blujelly

So I done a post the other day about a new router a bought. I’ve been looking into it since and I’m currently with Virgin 350mb 3.0 hub, which is a dual band router.

The current router is D-Link AX100 and the reason for the purchase was to help out my poor ring devices that struggled with signal strength with the VM hub. This has been tested in a more central place in my home and works 10x better, it works just as well where its currently placed. I was thinking for me to offload some of the WiFi devices it means I’ve got to do a lot of drilling and cable management to get them to the new placed router via Ethernet.

So I’m thinking should I upgrade to tri band? Is it worth it for me, is this going to be over kill? I’m thinking it would it be easier just to get a mesh router such as a Linksys MR8300 with an additional node like the WHW0301? That way I can offload about 4 WiFi devices directly to the router then let the rest use WiFi.

I’ve got 12 devices total at this moment running of the routers WiFi, except for one which is Hive. The others consist of 4 ring devices, Alexa, robotic hoover, Apple TV, my iPhone, harmony huh and 2 unknown devices.

Have I gone to far thinking this through, is there a much simpler setup, so I need a slap to the face?

Gavras

Master Poster
Have a read of the following.

Triband is usually the best choice to go for if multiple devices and you want load balancing.

Not only does the back channel help, however you also have guest channel to put less secure devices on, this provides an element of security to your overall network.

if you are with Virgin at some point 1 gig will be available, this then starts to give your ipad type devices, mobiles, consoles equal footing and everyone gets a fair bit of the pie.

A lot also comes down to budget and overall appetite to dial thing to Eleven (to quote article lol).

Blujelly

Do you think the setup I suggested is a bit overkill for what I currently have? I basically need to make sure I have enough Ethernet ports, so even if there was a cheaper option I’d have to buy a Ethernet switch as well to accommodate what I need to be plugged in.

Gavras

Master Poster
Do you think the setup I suggested is a bit overkill for what I currently have? I basically need to make sure I have enough Ethernet ports, so even if there was a cheaper option I’d have to buy a Ethernet switch as well to accommodate what I need to be plugged in.
What’s the total cost of your new setup?

I assume you have a Virgin Hub 3?

Blujelly

What’s the total cost of your new setup?

I assume you have a Virgin Hub 3?
Yup virgin 3.0 350 mbs

and I was thinking of putting this next to the VM hub, so that I don’t have to run Ethernet cables around to where the new router could go

Linksys MR8300 AC2200 Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi Router (Works with Velop Whole Home Wi-Fi System, 4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports, USB 3.0 Port, Parental Controls Via Linksys App) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SHT6LDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_0t84FbB88MZA4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

then add this to either a more central location or towards the front of the house

Linksys WHW0301 Velop Tri-Band Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System (AC2200 Wi-Fi Router/Wi-Fi Extender for Seamless Coverage, Parental Controls, 1-Pack, Covers Up to 2,000 sq ft, White) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MZ6MRLD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_Nu84Fb7V9G07W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Gavras

Master Poster
There is a double and triple pack for the 301, to me it’s usually simpler having same units talking to each other, even if same manufacturer.

also on offer.

as mentioned one of reasons I went Orbi was the number of lan ports and ease of connecting, the Linksys ones appear to be under the units.

Personally Triband is the way to go but check the back channel speeds.

Scroll down this review to the alternatives and check out ASUS back channel speed.

Blujelly

There is a double and triple pack for the 301, to me it’s usually simpler having same units talking to each other, even if same manufacturer.

also on offer.

as mentioned one of reasons I went Orbi was the number of lan ports and ease of connecting, the Linksys ones appear to be under the units.

Personally Triband is the way to go but check the back channel speeds.

Scroll down this review to the alternatives and check out ASUS back channel speed.

That was kind of my reasoning for a mesh router, means I can plug everything in where it currently is, means I won’t have to run Ethernet cables elsewhere. I also then have the option to add additional nodes to the network.

I did look into the 2/3 pack for Linksys but means I’d need to buy a Ethernet switch so I can plug things in correctly

Gavras

Master Poster
That was kind of my reasoning for a mesh router, means I can plug everything in where it currently is, means I won’t have to run Ethernet cables elsewhere. I also then have the option to add additional nodes to the network.

I did look into the 2/3 pack for Linksys but means I’d need to buy a Ethernet switch so I can plug things in correctly
How much stuff do you have to plug in?

my orbi hub has pc, NAS, the rest like printer and other office stuff I shoved on to WiFi.

my satellite has 3 ports filled

have you confirmed that the 8300 and 301 will connect?

Blujelly

How much stuff do you have to plug in?

my orbi hub has pc, NAS, the rest like printer and other office stuff I shoved on to WiFi.

my satellite has 3 ports filled

have you confirmed that the 8300 and 301 will connect?
I think it’s 4 dead on

Quote from there site
‘The Linksys MR8300 is compatible with all Velop products. However, the Linksys MR8300 must be the parent node, while the Velop nodes become child nodes’

Gavras

Master Poster
I think it’s 4 dead on

Quote from there site
‘The Linksys MR8300 is compatible with all Velop products. However, the Linksys MR8300 must be the parent node, while the Velop nodes become child nodes’
Sounds like it should be okay.

it’s worth checking out their forum, mainly to confirm the back haul channel is still present and at right speed.

nothing worse than finding small print says it’s compatible but becomes dual channel.

Smoggyuk

Bronze Level Poster
Staff member
I have used the netgear orbi system with 2 sattelites, found it buggy and had lots of strange hand over drop outs, tried everything and eventually gave up.

I am on VM 600Mbps in a 5 bedroom house (shared, I'm not posh haha) and I swapped over to the asus ax88u, not a single problem and i get 400mbps in the furthest room and even the garage.

Blujelly

I have used the netgear orbi system with 2 sattelites, found it buggy and had lots of strange hand over drop outs, tried everything and eventually gave up.

I am on VM 600Mbps in a 5 bedroom house (shared, I'm not posh haha) and I swapped over to the asus ax88u, not a single problem and i get 400mbps in the furthest room and even the garage.
Reckon the setup I suggested would be overkill for what I have?