New Router??

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have used the netgear orbi system with 2 sattelites, found it buggy and had lots of strange hand over drop outs, tried everything and eventually gave up.

I am on VM 600Mbps in a 5 bedroom house (shared, I'm not posh haha) and I swapped over to the asus ax88u, not a single problem and i get 400mbps in the furthest room and even the garage.
Was that one of the newer models or the early orbis?

Smoggyuk

Bronze Level Poster
Staff member
Reckon the setup I suggested would be overkill for what I have?

From what I researched Mesh technology is the next best thing for wireless improvements, but I still believe that many of these systems have a long way to go in terms of programming, control, and mesh hand over. Wireless routers such as the AX88U and AC88U have unbeatable range and programming (Merlin).

You must remember that these base routers are also very capable of providing AI mesh to other satellite routers if you wish to install one in the future.

Mesh will undoubtedly be fantastic for coverage and maintaining performance, but with my ASUS router I have simply set the VM hub to modem mode and hid the wire to the AX88U under the carpet, the AX88U is mounted in the hallway in a centre location of our house.

Once setup, I have never had to touch anything as it just works.

It all boils down to switches, powerlines, and other network devices that you wish to use.

Again, not a brag but the property I am in now is around 2700 sq. ft, the in-shite entertainment is unparalleled haha.

Smoggyuk

Bronze Level Poster
Staff member
You're just annoying those of us who think we're doing well getting 11Mbps on copper wires! 😖
Came from 40Mbps vodafone, had it for 2 years, never again.

Landlord panic sold and we moved within a month, got a nice introductory offer on 600Mbps and 1Gbps+ is in our area now.

No more 1-2 days downloading for games.

many F's for you buddy.

Gavras

Master Poster
Yeah, that’s an early 2017 model. They’ve come a long way since then, the newer models are really rock solid.
Yep and firmware is more reliable, it went through a flaky period.

agreed Mesh is still at an early point, companies such as Netgear are pushing for open standards so that everyone can mix and match.

For me it’s the number of devices I can hang off it, ranging from Alexa, Sonos, mains plugs wifi controlled via Alexa etc, remote cameras and 2 alarm systems, remote garage opening, heating controls etc, coupled with being able to shove not that secure IOT stuff on to guest WiFi.

when we eventually move.... the two garden office bits will be circa 100ft from main house but pretty much LOS,

(admittedly still considering asking Virgin to just shove an extra cable in).

Smoggyuk

Bronze Level Poster
Staff member
Yeah, that’s an early 2017 model. They’ve come a long way since then, the newer models are really rock solid.
Just short of £1000 for the new set, not a chance!

I like my networking, but that's just too much considering I got the AX88U for just short of £230 through the Amazon warehouse deals.

Blujelly

Thinking I’m going to buy the other router and try that setup for the sake of an extra £50 means I haven’t got to drill holes, and rip carpet away etc. I’ll see how it goes if it scrap I’ll just have to got to plan A

Blujelly

Ok so plan B hasn’t gone to plan at all, if anything it’s worse. Even though I have the router setup were VM hub is and a node central to the house, signal strength and speed tests and some devices is actually somehow worse…

looks like I’m better if centrally placing the previous router in the house. Or unless anyone has any better suggestions?