New streaming PC!

cwobritton1875

Thanks to my wonderful community, I've just ordered this beast! No idea how long I'm going to be waiting though...

*this post has been edited to reflect the final build after the discussions below.

Case

CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB ASUS TUF GAMING GEFORCE RTX 3070 - HDMI, DP
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting
50cm ARGB LED Strip
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

*this post has been edited to reflect the final build after the discussions below.

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would strongly advise cancelling your order and getting some advice on a build. There are a lot of selections here that we would advise against.

Which community was it that helped you pick out these components? I'm guessing you aren't referring to this forum?

The budget is there for a very strong streaming/gaming build so you are more than covered for a great system.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Here is a really good sticky topic with a collaboration of hints, tips and information. If you follow it you will greatly help us to help you.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
And as well as the link that @Scott posted, heres one that explains why inhtel is a bad idea

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Sadly, I second what @Scott is saying. From what you've spent you have the opportunity to get a fantastic build and sadly this isn't it. It's not a awful build and it will do the job but it could be a whole lot better.

AMD is definitely the way to go as Intel is lagging far behind and probably won't catch up for many years to come. Some of these reasons include security issues they've known about for multiple generations, poor price to performance compared to AMD, poor thermals, lack of M.2 NVME Gen 4 support- and those are just some of the ones off the top of my head. If you'd like to know more, I'd recommend checking out the link @Martinr36 put in the thread.

Along with that there are some other issues with some of the other parts. The Intel M.2's are generally avoided, the CPU cooler is a previous generation and the TXm PSU's aren't the best and I'd definetly suggest a better one considering the budget.

If you'd like help on a re-build, we'll need your budget, if you need anything else in that budget, your monitor(s) info (make and model or resolution AND refresh rate), and your uses. You've said streaming, but what games will you be streaming? Also any other info that you think might be helpful for us to know.

cwobritton1875

Unfortunately I can't move off of the current CPU but I'm interested in what power supply and pump you'd recommend?

As for the drives, I copied the wrong spec, the 2nd NVME drive is actually a 2TB Samsung 970

cwobritton1875

Yeah, the delays are bad enough already, waiting till at least May for just the SSD drives.

This PC was funded by my community and is needed for my business, the performance improvements from AMD aren't really worth the delay for me personally.

That said, I've got a bit of extra budget so while I'm waiting if there is a better power supply and pump you'd recommend I'll glady change them.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah, the delays are bad enough already, waiting till at least May for just the SSD drives.

This PC was funded by my community and is needed for my business, the performance improvements from AMD aren't really worth the delay for me personally.

That said, I've got a bit of extra budget so while I'm waiting if there is a better power supply and pump you'd recommend I'll glady change them.
A question that hasn't been asked is if the 3080 is actually necessary. It's one insane beast of a card and is only really required for 4K 144hz monitors. What monitors are you currently using? There's a potential you could swap down to a lower tier card which would save a lot of time and money. In this instance, you could probably cancel, chose a different card and recieve the PC before you'd recieve this initial order with a 3080.

For storage, a way better layout would be a Smaller (500GB) Gen 4 SSD for Windows and programs then a larger Gen 3 SSD (or even SSD+HDD combo) for the rest of your games and files. The Corsair 2TB drive offers almost all of the read and write speeds of the Samsung SSD and is almost £100 cheaper, then if 1TB is adequate, the PCS drives are fantastic bargains. Both of these drives are being actively stocked so it wouldn't be a potential hold point for your build.

If you're dead set keeping this build, I'd swap to the RMx 850W PSU, it's a fantastic PSU and a no brainer. For the CPU cooler, I'd switch to the H115i Capellix as you'll want top of the line cooling for your top of the line CPU. Swapping to that cooler would also require a case change. The Cooler Master TD500 Mesh and Corsair 5000X are both good choices that will fit that cooler.

cwobritton1875

Ok, modded my build to include the new cooler, case and PSU.

Drive wise I don't mind waiting, I have a 256GB SSD and 4TB HDD at the moment and they are both full to bursting. I'll be using the PC for video editing so I really don't want to be short on fast r/w disk space if I can help it. I also have another 1TB SATA SSD that I'll be connecting in once it arrives.

As for the 3070 vs. 3080, at the moment I run 3 x 1080p monitors (they may go to higher res but I'd need to check as I've only ever run them at 1080p). It's a multi-use PC so it's used for my day job (audio editing and video editing) and my evening job (gaming and streaming). Went for the 3080 because I want this PC to last me as long as possible (7+ years) and for the extra encoding load of streaming whilst gaming.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Drive wise I don't mind waiting, I have a 256GB SSD and 4TB HDD at the moment and they are both full to bursting. I'll be using the PC for video editing so I really don't want to be short on fast r/w disk space if I can help it. I also have another 1TB SATA SSD that I'll be connecting in once it arrives.
Holy, that's a lot of storage! If you're happy with the wait then that's totally fair!
As for the 3070 vs. 3080, at the moment I run 3 x 1080p monitors (they may go to higher res but I'd need to check as I've only ever run them at 1080p). It's a multi-use PC so it's used for my day job (audio editing and video editing) and my evening job (gaming and streaming). Went for the 3080 because I want this PC to last me as long as possible (7+ years) and for the extra encoding load of streaming whilst gaming.
That's fair, it's probably still a lot of overkill but in the name of 'futureproofing' you'll be able to last centuries with a 3080 on 1080p 😂 And I'm sure the extra oomf will be useful for streaming.

D

Deleted member 17413

A RTX 3070 would of been "futureproofing" overkill.... (No such thing as futureproofing with GPU's on a PC platform....)
Having seen about the encoding differences between AMD/Nvidia, I get why hanging onto Nvidia for streaming, but a 3080 is entirely pointless on 1080p. Entirely.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
You could get a 3060 now and save lots of money to put towards a 5080 four or five years down the road when you go to 4K or 8k.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
AIUI (and I'm open to correction), the NVENC encoder on the 3080 is the same as on the other 30-series GPUs (actually, I think it's the same as on the 20-series as well), so there's little point spending the money for that.

The CUDA cores in the 30-series will be useful for video editing, though I rather doubt you'll see a big difference between 3080 and 3070.

cwobritton1875

It's definitely a tricky balancing act, the only 3070 PCS have are the 8Gb, vs. the 10Gb 3080 but I'm not genned up enough on the cards to know what difference that makes,

As for 4K, while I run 3 1080p monitors at the moment within the next 12 months I'll definitely be getting at least one 4K monitor to replace the centre monitor.

D

Deleted member 17413

I would advise against a 4K monitor and tell you to get a decent 1440p monitor,
A new ultrawide 1440p 144Hz would run beautifully on a 3070 with room to spare...
4K gaming is still only really practical around the 60fps mark, its not mainstream yet, maybe in a couple of years when you upgrade GPU... and for video/photo editing the type of monitor you would get is going to be different to a gaming monitor, video editing also doesnt place the same requirements on a GPU so I can see a RTX 3070 being completely fine. From the little you have said about uses a AMD GPU might be an idea if budget is tight, you'll be able to squeeze a little more from the build.

As to Intel still...well at least the 10900K is the best of a bad bunch... however a 5800X would of very happilly kept pace with it (possibly outrun it in some uses) even with two less cores, and is readily available, a 5900X would wipe the floor with it, but I get the wait on those is a factor

cwobritton1875

Thanks all, I bit the bullet this morning and changed to the ASUS TUF Gaming 8Gb 3070 which actually showed as in stock on the PCS site!

I don't need 4K gaming, I need a PC better than my current 8yr old one and I need it before this one dies so it's the right choice. If I need to upgrade in a couple of years I can always do that and skip the 3080 entirely.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks all, I bit the bullet this morning and changed to the ASUS TUF Gaming 8Gb 3070 which actually showed as in stock on the PCS site!

I don't need 4K gaming, I need a PC better than my current 8yr old one and I need it before this one dies so it's the right choice. If I need to upgrade in a couple of years I can always do that and skip the 3080 entirely.
so what spec have you ordered

Ash_

Master Poster
5800X would kill an i9-10th gen for a streaming build.
Also on that, my nephew streams with a 3700X/6700XT and it runs smooth as butter. 3070 is a fantastic card though and the VRAM difference won’t make any noticeable difference. I only use like 4Gb of VRAM when i run cod i think