No GTX 500 Series with Home / Office Computers, AMD

Hey, I'm just wondering why, on the website, is there no option to choose any 500 series GTX in the home / office section of the AMD build your own?

I have a build from this section with a 460, but will want to upgrade to a 500 series in a while... I have the Corsair 650 PSU, and would be using the PCIe 16 slot the 460 currently takes up. Is there any reason I couldn't cram a 580 in there?

I know the 500s use an 8 pin power connector as well as a 6, rather than the 2x 6 that the 400s use, but the PSU has this available, does it not?

Meds

The high-end GTX5** Series Graphics Cards are not aimed at Home/Office Users but more towards gamers so they are not available to order with our Home Office systems.

The Corsair TX650 PSU will be fine for anything upto the GTX570, for the GTX580 I'd recommend the TX750 upwards should you wish to upgrade in the future.

Sleinous

Author Level
Hey, I'm just wondering why, on the website, is there no option to choose any 500 series GTX in the home / office section of the AMD build your own?

I have a build from this section with a 460, but will want to upgrade to a 500 series in a while... I have the Corsair 650 PSU, and would be using the PCIe 16 slot the 460 currently takes up. Is there any reason I couldn't cram a 580 in there?

I know the 500s use an 8 pin power connector as well as a 6, rather than the 2x 6 that the 400s use, but the PSU has this available, does it not?

The 480 uses a 6+8pin config too ;)

Gorman

Author Level
remember boys and girls that we are a custom pc company, if the website will not allow you to spec something you want and it is not due to incompatability etc then our call centre chaps will be happy to sort it out for you.

"You dream it, we build it" with the slight addition of "unless it wont work or is just dumb".

Ok, thanks. I'll have to find out how much headroom I have power-wise when I come to upgrade. CustomPC only found a 30W difference between the 570 and 580 during stress tests.

And yeah, I knew I could have asked for a 500 series at build, I just didn't want to due to budget restrictions :/ Just wanted to check that there wouldn't be any problems down the line :)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The main reason why we don't offer high spec options on the home office configurators is because we don't wish to mis-sell technology. We would hate to sell a GTX 580 based PC with an E5700 CPU and Micro-ATX case. It would be like fitting a Ferrari engine into a Mini...fast but not recommended.