Nova Series

• Thread starter Deleted member 94250
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94250

I'm curious about the desktop CPUs in this model.
Are they heavily underclocked to be compatible with a laptop form factor?
Is there a big difference between them and the Ryzen 4000 from competitors (mods, i'm asking for a comparison, not sure if its allowed on the forum. if its not pls let me know I'll remove this part), as both are zen 2?
How can u compare the Ryzen 5 3600 to the i7 10750h, since the desktop part will have desktop level cooling etc?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm curious about the desktop CPUs in this model.
Are they heavily underclocked to be compatible with a laptop form factor?
Is there a big difference between them and the Ryzen 4000 from competitors (mods, i'm asking for a comparison, not sure if its allowed on the forum. if its not pls let me know I'll remove this part), as both are zen 2?
How can u compare the Ryzen 5 3600 to the i7 10750h, since the desktop part will have desktop level cooling etc?
It's a good question and needs some thinking about:

In the past, when we've had Intel desktop chips in laptops, it's quite frankly been pretty catastrophic. The Octane had a 9900k in it which is a 95W TDP ON PAPER, but in actual fact under full chat runs more like up to 170W. As usual, it's Intel fudging the numbers to make it sound plausible. But it was terrible, the CPU had to be power limited and even with that it would still thermal throttle and had to be undervolted. But it's peak boosts and long term frequency was throttled as a result. It made it pretty pointless in speccing the chip at all over the 9700k (which still wasn't optimal).

BUT, with AMD 3000 series, it's a complete and utter different story. Because they're built well, and on a lower nm, they're an awful lot more power efficient. The 3600 saw a max power usage at stock of 71W at full pelt, that's SIGNIFICANTLY less than any Intel counterpart, even if you were looking at the awful i5's.

So you need an awful lot less cooling potential in the chassis. These chassis are much bulkier than a normal laptop to accomodate a more robust cooling solution.

Time will tell of course, it's likely it may still be slightly power limited, but I think for any gaming use, the 3600 paired with a 2070 is going to be absolutely sublime in a laptop form factor. But for actual power numbers, we'd need to get more information from PCS or wait for 3rd party reviews.

With regards to desktop processor vs upcoming 4000 series mobile processors, they're the exact same design, but the laptop processors are lower power. The desktop processors are always going to be more powerful.

And AMD desktop chips vs any Intel chip, weather it's mobile or desktop, AMD are just going to walk all over them. Intel are just churning out existing 5 year old architecture, just adding more and more cores, but they can't be cooled any more to the point Intel have publicly said they're DESIGNED to thermal throttle, which just means, yeah, we can't cool them. They're not fit for purpose, and the 10 gen Intels perform worse than 9th gen directly because of this. Intel have nothing left to give until they get on 7nm which is at least 2 years away.

D

Deleted member 94250

It's a good question and needs some thinking about:

In the past, when we've had Intel desktop chips in laptops, it's quite frankly been pretty catastrophic. The Octane had a 9900k in it which is a 95W TDP ON PAPER, but in actual fact under full chat runs more like up to 170W. As usual, it's Intel fudging the numbers to make it sound plausible. But it was terrible, the CPU had to be power limited and even with that it would still thermal throttle and had to be undervolted. But it's peak boosts and long term frequency was throttled as a result. It made it pretty pointless in speccing the chip at all over the 9700k (which still wasn't optimal).

BUT, with AMD 3000 series, it's a complete and utter different story. Because they're built well, and on a lower nm, they're an awful lot more power efficient. The 3600 saw a max power usage at stock of 71W at full pelt, that's SIGNIFICANTLY less than any Intel counterpart, even if you were looking at the awful i5's.

So you need an awful lot less cooling potential in the chassis. These chassis are much bulkier than a normal laptop to accomodate a more robust cooling solution.

Time will tell of course, it's likely it may still be slightly power limited, but I think for any gaming use, the 3600 paired with a 2070 is going to be absolutely sublime in a laptop form factor. But for actual power numbers, we'd need to get more information from PCS or wait for 3rd party reviews.

With regards to desktop processor vs upcoming 4000 series mobile processors, they're the exact same design, but the laptop processors are lower power. The desktop processors are always going to be more powerful.
thank you for your input.
I'm glad clevo is making a "budget" desktop replacement, the octane was the other alternative which is expensive and, as you pointed out, a dum choice.
next choice is gonna be this for me.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
thank you for your input.
I'm glad clevo is making a "budget" desktop replacement, the octane was the other alternative which is expensive and, as you pointed out, a dum choice.
next choice is gonna be this for me.
the Nova is number one on my list also, not just for the power but the rediculous value! You could barely setup and desktop with equivalent specs for the same money, it's quite amazing really.

D

Deleted member 94250

the Nova is number one on my list also, not just for the power but the rediculous value! You could barely setup and desktop with equivalent specs for the same money, it's quite amazing really.
yep

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys,

OC3D have a little bit more of information about the upcoming NOVA :)

D

Deleted member 94250

Hey guys,

OC3D have a little bit more of information about the upcoming NOVA :)

Nice

Stephen M

Author Level
Really like the look of this machine and while I cannot really justify getting another laptop at the moment it is very tempting.

My old i7 Octane is a good machine but I could never understand putting the Arsonist's Friend (i9) in one, it works fine in my desk top but was always going to have problems in a small chassis, even one with as good cooling as the Octane.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Really like the look of this machine and while I cannot really justify getting another laptop at the moment it is very tempting.

My old i7 Octane is a good machine but I could never understand putting the Arsonist's Friend (i9) in one, it works fine in my desk top but was always going to have problems in a small chassis, even one with as good cooling as the Octane.
Arsonists friend... brilliant!

D

Deleted member 94250

thank you too for your input.
Intel is getting cooked (literally!) across the board... I hope they get it together for their own sakes

Stephen M

Author Level
I agree, to a point, although not so much for Intel's sake but for all of us, to make sure there is competition as that forces the companies to try for better products and, hopefully, will mean neither can get too expensive. Intel had it too easy for too long and got lazy and complacent.

It seems strange that Intel are still unable to go to 7 nm yet AMD almost did it overnight once they started to try. Lisa Su became CEO in October 2014 and the changes have been amazing since then.

D

Deleted member 94250

I agree, to a point, although not so much for Intel's sake but for all of us, to make sure there is competition as that forces the companies to try for better products and, hopefully, will mean neither can get too expensive. Intel had it too easy for too long and got lazy and complacent.

It seems strange that Intel are still unable to go to 7 nm yet AMD almost did it overnight once they started to try. Lisa Su became CEO in October 2014 and the changes have been amazing since then.
yep if intel finds some big (small XD) guns to pull out and AMD feels pressure its only us consumers who benefit twice over

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
So... 77% of the power :unsure:

It would be interesting to see how the top 3 stacked against each other for performance with the chassis. The 44% limitation on power, I wonder if that's variable and solely based on output/temperature. If it IS.... the 3900 or the 3900X would likely come out as the best option.

For gaming though, 3600 and 2070 is a no brainer. I would love to know about the power limitations put on the 3600 though. In theory.... there should be nil.

D

Deleted member 94250

So... 77% of the power :unsure:

It would be interesting to see how the top 3 stacked against each other for performance with the chassis. The 44% limitation on power, I wonder if that's variable and solely based on output/temperature. If it IS.... the 3900 or the 3900X would likely come out as the best option.

For gaming though, 3600 and 2070 is a no brainer. I would love to know about the power limitations put on the 3600 though. In theory.... there should be nil.
Maths my dude. 34% limitation.
Edit: I would have removed this but I'll leave my silly mistake for all to judge me on🤣

But thanks for your input.
For CPU heavy work like ANSYS or Matlab or Even ASPEN, is the gap between 3900 and 3600 worth the extra money?

I want my laptop for engineering, with gaming as a secondary consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Maths my dude. 34% limitation. But thanks for your input.
For CPU heavy work like ANSYS or Matlab or Even ASPEN, is the gap between 3900 and 3600 worth the extra money?

It all depends on the power limitations placed on the 3600.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Maths my dude. 34% limitation. But thanks for your input.

I didn't mis-count. If you read the article posted it will all become clear. The system will return 77% of the throughput power with a 44% reduction in actual wattage power.

However, just for continuity..... 100-77 is 33 rather than 34 ;)

D

Deleted member 94250

I didn't mis-count. If you read the article posted it will all become clear. The system will return 77% of the throughput power with a 44% reduction in actual wattage power.

However, just for continuity..... 100-77 is 33 rather than 34 ;)
Lmao you got me. I only read the 77% performance thing when I was there.