Nova Series

• Thread starter Deleted member 94250
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94250

Just don’t be clumsy and put screws in a mug or something while you’re working on it.

It’s rediculously easy and takes 20 minutes.
Screws in a mug is a good idea.
I'll try it once the time comes, I've had my laptop for like 89 days but it got RMA'd.

Also "just don't be clumsy" is like telling someone with covid to stop coughing, it's not as simple as that😄. It's a side effect of my ADHD like challenges.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Screws in a mug is a good idea.
I'll try it once the time comes, I've had my laptop for like 89 days but it got RMA'd.

Also "just don't be clumsy" is like telling someone with covid to stop coughing, it's not as simple as that😄. It's a side effect of my ADHD like challenges.
Clumsiness is just an absence of processes and procedures. If you think about what you need to do, break it down step by step and draw out a point plan, then follow that plan. It sounds over the top, but it really works, and then you get to a place where you find you’re taking that approach more naturally.

D

Deleted member 94250

Clumsiness is just an absence of processes and procedures. If you think about what you need to do, break it down step by step and draw out a point plan, then follow that plan. It sounds over the top, but it really works, and then you get to a place where you find you’re taking that approach more naturally.
You're right. But my mind throws me off my plan all by itself, it's like... I know I should be following a plan but my mind doesn't do it.

I learnt about ADHD and it's pretty much what I had. I always do what you suggested to a smaller degree in most of everything but it fails sometimes. Thanks for your suggestions

edit: i realise this sounds like waffling but i get terribly distracted by all kinds of things. especially when i need focus, its to a terrible degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 41971

Im no expert so what I do is, if I need to take for example the back off my laptop, I label each plastic container with the screw locations, i.e. one for the back screws, one for the hard drive screws etc etc, I also take photos so Its easier to know what goes where.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Im no expert so what I do is, if I need to take for example the back off my laptop, I label each plastic container with the screw locations, i.e. one for the back screws, one for the hard drive screws etc etc, I also take photos so Its easier to know what goes where.
That’s a really good approach. There’s a company called iFixit who do incredible tools for smaller electronics work including laptops, they actually do magnetic static free trays to help with exactly that, I’ve got one of each of these and have to say they’re amazing:
iFixit Anti-Static Project Tray ESD Safe to Organize and Store Electronic Parts Storage Repair Opening disassembly Tool for Smartphone sparepart https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KRPFX00/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BTkJEbDCGW969

iFixit Magnetic Project Mat rewritable Pen Included for Electronic Smartphone Repair to Organize bits Tools and spareparts https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00876JHBM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_cUkJEb641S91Y

And if you need a set of micro tools for this kind of thing, these are by far the best I’ve ever owned:

iFixit Pro Tech Toolkit Including Mako Precision Bit Set with 64 bits, Magnetic bit Driver and Flex Extension, Repair Tool kit for iPhone iPad Laptops PC Smartphones Watches Glasses and Other Devices https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GF0KV6G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rVkJEb53XTXXC

Stephen M

Author Level
Some good kit there,thanks for the link. Static should never be underestimated when working on things like laptops and stuff like that and is well worth investing in.

Too lazy to search but I remember someone posting a great video of a self build where the guy put his wrist band on but it had no earth lead on it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Some good kit there,thanks for the link. Static should never be underestimated when working on things like laptops and stuff like that and is well worth investing in.

Too lazy to search but I remember someone posting a great video of a self build where the guy put his wrist band on but it had no earth lead on it.
There was the recent now-infamous attempted build guide by the verge:

This is exactly how NOT to build a PC, the verge got so much stick for it and eventually pulled it but not before trying to sue people for defamation for outing just how bad it was.

D

Deleted member 94250

geinus. i'll do that

Stephen M

Author Level
Cheers Spydertracks, it really is a "great" video. Did anyone ever get a final count on the number of mistakes.

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
you are right about LM, I used this on my gt73vr 7re back in 2017, you need to be extremely careful and it is also not worth the risk. Even if you get an app to control leakage and condition, it is very dangerous, but at the same time also very good cooling solution if you not moving your laptop around at all. It is also doesnt like aluminium, it degrades over time but i don't think spreaders are made of al anyway these days, the biggest problem is if you not doing it correctly mounting pressure can cause issues, maintenance is required once every half year maybe even 4-5 months. I would strongly recommend phobya nanogrease and check a heatsink if it needs to be sanded as it happened on my gt73 before I was using lm, temps lasted for 2 months only until I sanded hs. then it was more stable. I personally wouldn't use LM even if it is more less "safe" for somebody these days.

D

Deleted member 94250

you are right about LM, I used this on my gt73vr 7re back in 2017, you need to be extremely careful and it is also not worth the risk. Even if you get an app to control leakage and condition, it is very dangerous, but at the same time also very good cooling solution if you not moving your laptop around at all. It is also doesnt like aluminium, it degrades over time but i don't think spreaders are made of al anyway these days, the biggest problem is if you not doing it correctly mounting pressure can cause issues, maintenance is required once every half year maybe even 4-5 months. I would strongly recommend phobya nanogrease and check a heatsink if it needs to be sanded as it happened on my gt73 before I was using lm, temps lasted for 2 months only until I sanded hs. then it was more stable. I personally wouldn't use LM even if it is more less "safe" for somebody these days.
didnt get half the terms you used.
i'll list em, pls explain each one. thanx!
-spreader
-mounting pressure
-phobya nanogrease
-sanded heatsink

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
didnt get half the terms you used.
i'll list em, pls explain each one. thanx!
-spreader
-mounting pressure
-phobya nanogrease
-sanded heatsink

Spreader - Heat spreader I believe is being referred to. The cover on top of the actual CPU chip that distributes the heat exchange.
Mounting Pressure - The pressure at which the heatsink is pressed onto the top of the CPU chip. Determined by the mounting solution but can be influenced using various hacks.
Phobya Nanogrease - A brand of thermal compound
Sanded Heatsink - If the heatsink is uneven or is stained, sanding it can create a better surface for both exchange of heat, and thin application of paste.

Lemon_Haze

Gold Level Poster
thanks Scott, that's exactly what I meant. Sometimes heatsink need sanding as oxydation occurs but it used to happen after very long time without repasting and I don't think its a case anymore in these new laptops. However, lapping/ sanding a heatsink on laptops that get high temps after repasting or even if temps are good for few weeks and then they get worst, lapping heatsink is only option to get even temperatures between cores, sometimes what used to happen to me was I was very cool on 2 cores and on other 2 cores there was difference around 15 degree higher than other two cores on 7820HK.

D

Deleted member 94250

thanks
Spreader - Heat spreader I believe is being referred to. The cover on top of the actual CPU chip that distributes the heat exchange.
Mounting Pressure - The pressure at which the heatsink is pressed onto the top of the CPU chip. Determined by the mounting solution but can be influenced using various hacks.
Phobya Nanogrease - A brand of thermal compound
Sanded Heatsink - If the heatsink is uneven or is stained, sanding it can create a better surface for both exchange of heat, and thin application of paste.

D

Deleted member 41971

Just to update, I have ordered my laptop from PCS yesterday (tues), its the Nova 15.6 inch, AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, Nvidia 2070, samsung 1tb evo 860 SSD, 32 gb of memory etc, I would like it to work with Linux but have ordered win 10 for the time being before I can try to tweak it etc, it was tough deciding as I liked the Viper 17 inch, but felt the nova had more all round features that I wanted. as PCS are really busy I will be waiting a while so hopefully I made the right decion. :) :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Sounds amazing. Will be good to see how the 3800X fairs. It's effectively a direct competitor for the top end 9900K laptop.

D

Deleted member 94250

Sounds amazing. Will be good to see how the 3800X fairs. It's effectively a direct competitor for the top end 9900K laptop.
I would have thought the 3800x is a slightly overclocked, but way overpriced 3700x. Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen M

Author Level
Just to update, I have ordered my laptop from PCS yesterday (tues), its the Nova 15.6 inch, AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, Nvidia 2070, samsung 1tb evo 860 SSD, 32 gb of memory etc, I would like it to work with Linux but have ordered win 10 for the time being before I can try to tweak it etc, it was tough deciding as I liked the Viper 17 inch, but felt the nova had more all round features that I wanted. as PCS are really busy I will be waiting a while so hopefully I made the right decion. :) :)
There were a couple of issues with Ryzen and 'nix early on but AMD had these fixed within a week of them being noticed so hopefully it will be fine with it. Please let us know how you get on.

For useful up to date Linux news this is a great site: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home