Nova Year - New Build

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
I have the Nova as well and Something isnt quite right there with your temps. Shouldn’t be getting 94c when it’s only running at base frequency. Also drawing 53W power which seems high for the actual work it’s doing. The voltage seems low enough to have good temps too so something doesn’t stack up. What’s the CPU and GPU fan doing in terms of activity levels? It should be screaming if your consistently into the 90s.

As Scott said, would definitely do a repaste too

IStevens82

Hi Warbelian - Thanks for your write up and sharing all the info about the laptop.
Have you managed to solve the CPU heat problem?

Also, do you know what version of the 2070 is in it? eg is it 115W or 90W version?
Thanks

Warbelian

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Warbelian - Thanks for your write up and sharing all the info about the laptop.
Have you managed to solve the CPU heat problem?

Also, do you know what version of the 2070 is in it? eg is it 115W or 90W version?
Thanks

Those are questions that I haven't had time to check to be honest mate,
When I do I'll get back to you for sure.

Warbelian

Bronze Level Poster
I still didn't manage to open up the laptop as time didn't allow me but now I'm getting concerned as these are the temperatures in stand-by mod.

Untitled.jpg

What do you guys recommend I should do ?
I'm thinking to send to PCS for a refresh, is it worth it ?

Thank you

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I still didn't manage to open up the laptop as time didn't allow me but now I'm getting concerned as these are the temperatures in stand-by mod.

View attachment 25695

What do you guys recommend I should do ?
I'm thinking to send to PCS for a refresh, is it worth it ?

Thank you
As above, it needs a repaste, it won’t magically get better until that’s done.

Warbelian

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys,

I'm planning to re-sell my build so I can upgrade to a new one,
I've kept the laptop always closed as it was being used as a tower PC so the quality is quite mint still.

What would you say a fair price is now a days ?

Thank you

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey guys,

I'm planning to re-sell my build so I can upgrade to a new one,
I've kept the laptop always closed as it was being used as a tower PC so the quality is quite mint still.

What would you say a fair price is now a days ?

Thank you
It’s not something we can comment on on this forum, it’s all down to what the buyer is willing to pay and what other equivalent systems are going for on marketplaces

Warbelian

Bronze Level Poster
Hey @SpyderTracks

I'm currently having a bit of a bad day with the laptop,
I went through the routine of cleaning the laptop today,

1. Took all screws
2. Lifted the thermal cooler - (Somehow the CPU came attached to the cooler)
3. Cleaned the paste
4. Checked CPU for any damages
5. Placed CPU back in again
6. Applied Thermal paste
7. Put it all back together

Now what I'm facing is clicking the power button, the screen doesn't display anything, then after maybe 1 to 2 minutes the fans start going at full speed for maybe 30 to 50 seconds and then the laptop shuts down.

Do you think the CPU is gone since it came stuck to the cooling pad when I pulled it off ?

FerrariVie

Super Star
Hey @SpyderTracks

I'm currently having a bit of a bad day with the laptop,
I went through the routine of cleaning the laptop today,

1. Took all screws
2. Lifted the thermal cooler - (Somehow the CPU came attached to the cooler)
3. Cleaned the paste
4. Checked CPU for any damages
5. Placed CPU back in again
6. Applied Thermal paste
7. Put it all back together

Now what I'm facing is clicking the power button, the screen doesn't display anything, then after maybe 1 to 2 minutes the fans start going at full speed for maybe 30 to 50 seconds and then the laptop shuts down.

Do you think the CPU is gone since it came stuck to the cooling pad when I pulled it off ?
It's possible that something was damaged, but could be hard to tell. You can check if all the pins are still on the CPU (and not stuck on the MB slot) and if they're not bent.

Every time that you need to remove the heatsink, it's advisable to:
  1. Turn your laptop on for a few minutes (even in idle), as the temperature will make the thermal paste to undry. When it's off (cold), it usually dries up and makes it hard to remove. But also be careful to not heat it too much, or the heatsink can burn your hands during manipulation
  2. Do not force the heatsink. If it's not coming out when lightly pulling, then something is wrong. You can gently twist it left and right, but never push too much.