OCZ Vertex 3 SSD

Any ideas when these little beauties will make an appearance on the site? I'm holding back from ordering my new rig in the hope that they will be available soon...

Teaz

Godlike
not exactly sure as it was said for it to be ready for it to go out between the 11-14th of march but apprently it wont be sent out till 21st or so this month. hopefully it will be by the end of this month. as for pcs stocking them, we will just have to wait on that part..

loafer

Looks like they will be available for sale to the general public from 1st April according to pixmania and scan websites. Available on pre-order now.
I'm sure PCS have a warehoose full of them and are using them at their own desks as we type.

daryl

Bronze Level Poster
I am also waiting for vertex 3 so that I can place order - PCS - do you have a date?

Thanks,

Daryl

Meds

There is no official ETA yet I'm afraid but rest assured we will do our best to get our hands on them as soon as we possibly can. I'd expect us to have stock within the next couple of weeks.

Maestro

We have them on order with the uk distributor. Apparently stock will start arriving into the uk next week. However as with anything new and sought after, there will be constraints. The distributor has already told me there are literally thousands of back orders for these drives, so none of us will get as many as we would like. That being said we expect to get some next week.

MPM

yep, finger on the order button as well, have my spec all saved just need a Vertex 3 in there :D!

Maestro

vertex 3 drives are now on the site for pc's. We are getting a few in tomorrow. First come first served.

MPM

Hi are these available for the Vortex II laptops ?

Chassis wise its possible i believe, but business wise is it?
:D

Maestro

Hello,

We had issue with the vertex 2 drives when used in laptops. It seemed some of them simply stopped appearing in device manager. We never had any issues with the intel drives so we have these still available for laptops. Until we actually get the vertex 3's in and we can test em with the laptops then we will not list them.

Speaking generally the vertex drives are, or do appear to have higher performace than the intel ssd's. But as always, with higher performance comes more instability. Both are lightening quick, but we have never had any isseus with the intel drives so im firmly in the intel court when it comes to a choice between the two.

Teaz

Godlike
We had issue with the vertex 2 drives when used in laptops. It seemed some of them simply stopped appearing in device manager. We never had any issues with the intel drives so we have these still available for laptops. Until we actually get the vertex 3's in and we can test em with the laptops then we will not list them.

Speaking generally the vertex drives are, or do appear to have higher performace than the intel ssd's. But as always, with higher performance comes more instability. Both are lightening quick, but we have never had any isseus with the intel drives so im firmly in the intel court when it comes to a choice between the two.

So the Vertex 3 have been tested with pc's like sandy bridge an works smoothly so far im guessing right?

Also i thought the new sandforce on the vertex 3 are suppose to help the stability? or was that just to increase its performence in read&write?

Soth

Hi Maestro,

You posted a couple of months ago saying:

Until we actually get the vertex 3's in and we can test em with the laptops then we will not list them.

Has there been any update on the testing of the Vertex 3s in laptops (specifically the Vortex II - 17) since your last message? I noticed from looking around the internet that other Clevo resellers are listing the Vertex 3 as storage options.

Maestro

Hello,

Yes we have tested them and are seeing the same sort of intermittent problems we saw for the vertex 2's. Basically the drives are showing one minute then disappearing the next. Not all of them, but a rate high enough for us to be reluctant to list them with the laptops. We have tested them with a few different chassis manufacturers.

We are therefore only listing the Intel drives at the moment. While they may not be quite as fast, although they are still blisteringly fast, they do come with a 5 year warranty (the only ssd to do so) and they do have some nifty built in data protection features that no other ssd's have which is very handy in portable devices:-

To reduce potential data loss, the Intel SSD 320 Series detects and protects from an unexpected system power loss. The drive saves all cached data in the process of being written before shutting down, thereby minimizing potential data loss. The Intel SSD 320 Series also improves reliability by providing an array of surplus NAND flash. If the controller encounters a faulty NAND array, the Intel SSD 320 Series automatically reconfigures itself to reduce the prospect of data loss.

Certainly in my opinion, the warranty and array of features that you get with new Intel ssd's (320 and 510 series) makes the whole package ideal for laptops.