On Live

truegrace

Enthusiast
Well, just a heads up, On live is released today in the UK, google it if you dont know what it is, and by the looks of it your first game purchase is only £1.

They dont have a huge catalogue but a few new titles on there you can pick up for a buck, deus ex : Human Rev for example.

Might be worth a look, think you need a semi decent internet connection for it, but probably worth a pound anyway :p

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
With my internet there is no way I will ever be using STeam, OnLive or any of this other crap.

some people want physical copies, I don't understand how all this direct downloading rubbish has taken over.

and the fact that you have to have your internet on all the time is ridiculous

it's just a reason to pirate games tbh

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
For example I got a copy of shogun total war 2 (disc) and i installed it, went onto steam and it wanted me to download i think 4 gigs of data!!!

the only way I will play that crap is with a cracked exe or cracked steam, there is no WAY I'm downloading all that when I've just installed 15gb onto my PC.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Soooooo, is this another pretend Steam that will annoy me by taking games off of Steam and requiring me to have another application?

If so...YAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWNNNNN!!!

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
some people want physical copies, I don't understand how all this direct downloading rubbish has taken over.

People are different :D

and the fact that you have to have your internet on all the time is ridiculous

it's just a reason to pirate games tbh

No you dont (for most games) and I am pretty sure pirate games etc, be they DL or pyhsical existed by we all started buying legit by DL :)

For example I got a copy of shogun total war 2 (disc) and i installed it, went onto steam and it wanted me to download i think 4 gigs of data!!!

the only way I will play that crap is with a cracked exe or cracked steam, there is no WAY I'm downloading all that when I've just installed 15gb onto my PC.

Not sure I would ever condone illegal actions, especially when you have just slammed pirate games above :D

truegrace

Enthusiast
The great thing about on live for me anyway is I can run deus ex on my current lame pc which I could never do with a retail copy, and it cost me 1 buck.

I certainly won't be buying many, if any more games from them, but for £1 why the hell not :p

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
people like me can NOT afford unlimited bandwidth, Steam and other companies should realize this

who the hell wants to download 5gb of patches anyway?

I just don't see why I have to download crap, sign up for some crap, be on the internet JUST to play a game.

remember when you put in a game and it just WORKED and you PLAYED IT?

I do, it was called THE 90's, give me a time machine and get me away form all this new age crap.

i would swear more but im sure crap is the only word which isn't bleeped out.

why im annoyed is that even if i do buy a physical copy I STILL have to go down the route of downloading loads of data.

this is why, when I want to buy a PC game, I see what it needs to play. I always get cracked exes for them so I don't have to have the disc in.
if the game is old I buy it, if it's new I pirate it (unless it doesn't need steam or i can get a crack regardless).

JSG10

Expert
Can't afford unlimited bandwith yet can afford a decent PC and multiple games on it? Hmm

You do realise that there are only a few companies that now limit bandwidth and stop you downloading. They're all in competition with each other which makes it great for us. I'm just waiting for them to hurry up with the fibre optics round the country! Don't think I'll ever see it though :(

Don't know why people are bitching so much, go back to consoles if you're that unhappy with it.

Usukane

Gold Level Poster
Okay, I signed up & bought the special edition of Deus Ex which was called Augmented Edition (includes game of the year edition of the previous Deus game, also includes the DLC which comes out next month etc) for ONE POUND. (instead of the £45 I think it was) Less than 5 seconds later, i'm playing it on my piece of pewp PC as you don't need to install ANYTHING of the game, it streams. Literally you buy it, click play, you're playing it.

I was pretty knocked back. There aren't any graphic settings, but it was playing on Xbox 360 graphics on my current pewp PC, no lag what-so-ever, without having to install anything other than the OnLive App, which takes 2 seconds.

I do have a very fast connection, so I imagine that has something to do with OnLive gameplay, but wow.

Their game selection is awful, though. Deux Ex, Metro 2033, Dirt3, Space Marine. They seem to be the latest ones that I imagine most are gonna be interested in, but it was a quid, so meh why not.

Edit: Apparently you just need to ability to play VIDEO, and you can play games via OnLive. It's even been used on an Apple iPhone etc, lol
I've seen no buffering what-so-ever, no loading times or anything, seems pretty epic to me. Well, until I get my new PC, then i'll be shouting at the screen because it's giving me Xbox graphics when I can easily increase them higher on the Steam version.

Last edited:

truegrace

Enthusiast
Okay, I signed up & bought the special edition of Deus Ex which was called Augmented Edition (includes game of the year edition of the previous Deus game, also includes the DLC which comes out next month etc) for ONE POUND. (instead of the £45 I think it was) Less than 5 seconds later, i'm playing it on my piece of pewp PC as you don't need to install ANYTHING of the game, it streams. Literally you buy it, click play, you're playing it.

I was pretty knocked back. There aren't any graphic settings, but it was playing on Xbox 360 graphics on my current pewp PC, no lag what-so-ever, without having to install anything other than the OnLive App, which takes 2 seconds.

I do have a very fast connection, so I imagine that has something to do with OnLive gameplay, but wow.

Their game selection is awful, though. Deux Ex, Metro 2033, Dirt3, Space Marine. They seem to be the latest ones that I imagine most are gonna be interested in, but it was a quid, so meh why not.

My points exactly, but instead of most people going to look they would rather ***** about downloading patches and direct download games, this is none of that.

Yes if you have a nabby broadband connection ya screwed, but I only get 3.5mbps and streams fine, no lag at all.

I'm not saying pay 6.99 a month, or fork out 70 notes for the bypass pc option, just get a game for a buck :)

mishra

Rising Star
Soooooo, is this another pretend Steam that will annoy me by taking games off of Steam and requiring me to have another application?

Nope it's nothing like Steam. Steam is only interface that allows you to keep your games in the cloud. In order to play the games you still have to download them and install on you PC.

Onlive does not ask you to download and install games. Your PC does very little computing during the game play, as far as I know, it only "display" the content for you. All the computing is being done on the ONLive servers. That is why you can play fairly modern games on super crappy PC, assuming you have amazing broadband.
Whoever played Quakelive it is a similar idea.

Now then some facts. A friend of mine at work tried Onlive today during lunch. Mind you we have a proper business guaranteed 20Mbs connection and ONlive couldn't play saying our connection is not up to the job.

To sum up... its stinks like an epic fail to me. Idea is nice - no need to invest money into graphic cards and gaming PC's, just get enough oomph from broadband and ONLive servers will handle all the computing for you - but reality is... it's just not really going to work is it? We live in UK not in Cyperpunk 2020.

ps. if this going to work then, I will admit I was wrong and will sign up thought ^^ with such thing there is nothing better than to be wrong hehehe

Last edited:

truegrace

Enthusiast
As I said I have 3.5mbs connection and it works fine, something up with your guaranteed 20Mbs connection maybe? :p possibly shared network?

Fear

Prolific Poster
Sorry but did someone say you don't download the games onto your PC cause if that is right what are you going to do if/when they go bump ?

truegrace

Enthusiast
Lose the £1 u spent on your dirt cheap game, even if they go under in a week its still value for money :p

1 thing I did notice earlier was not being able to log on due to capacity for about 5 mins, so if u value a buck more than a fat man values cake it might not be for you :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Yes but thats just the one game you get first...didnt someone say its more after that?

I can imagine the Steam-luddites that are scared of what will happen to their library will have an aneurysm when looking at OnLive :D

Gishank

Bright Spark
I downloaded and installed OnLive earlier today - I was highly disappointed though. I have a 10Mbit connection (virgin, which I'd consider to be pretty average for the UK connection wise). There's a real lack of decent games (you could argue licensing restrictions but meh). Whilst I didn't experience any severe latency as such when 'trialing' a couple of games I did notice however that graphically the games were on the lowest possible settings without any methods to change them. The biggest incentive that there would be (for me personally) to save hard drive space and play the latest games on decent settings even if my PC is outdated however from my experience with using it, it would mean I'd have to sacrifice graphical customisation and custom gaming (ergo mods/maps).

If you have a good enough connection to be able to use OnLive effectively then you shouldn't have any issue with spending some time downloading the game itself. OnLive unfortunately isn't really up to standards for the amount of time that it has been in 'beta', nor do I see cloud based gaming becoming viable in the future. Unless it *really* takes off I reckon that they'd have a hard time funding the servers.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Great stuff Gishank. For all of these reasons and others I hope it fails. The words "Xbox 360 graphics" and "lowest settings only" put me off enough to not bother checking it out. I hope these people realise people with mid to top end equipment will not want these enforced settings. If they allowed custom graphics settings according to end user system power and you had to wait a little longer before playing for it to be buffered etc then i wouldnt mind so much. You cant set it up like this so its not for me. An interesting concept but a failed one at the moment. Im sure in years to come the cloud zone will be where its at but at the moment i like to save that for a Friday night in town. :)