PC Build for 11yr old to Play Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

3qtrsamericano

Bright Spark
So my order says "Pre Production" and "5 Working Days". I appreciate that the average build time is around 27 days so just wondering if my build will still take around 27 days? It also says Pre Production is usually < 6 days.

Apologies if this is a daft question as I know production times are severely compromised at the moment due to availability etc. However, to my knowledge, all my components are in stock.

I'm only asking as I promised my son that I'll have the PC ready with MSFS2020 by the time he sits his 11+ which is on 4 September. I would have happily paid for Fast Track if that option was available.

Yes, I should have ordered it sooner. That's on me.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So my order says "Pre Production" and "5 Working Days". I appreciate that the average build time is around 27 days so just wondering if my build will still take around 27 days? It also says Pre Production is usually < 6 days.

Apologies if this is a daft question as I know production times are severely compromised at the moment due to availability etc. However, to my knowledge, all my components are in stock.

I'm only asking as I promised my son that I'll have the PC ready with MSFS2020 by the time he sits his 11+ which is on 4 September. I would have happily paid for Fast Track if that option was available.

Yes, I should have ordered it sooner. That's on me.
Pre production is the bulk of the queue, it spends most of it's time there as it's waiting to be built, so will be in that stage for about 20 days or so.

Those normal estimates are in normal climates, they're not relevant with everything going on in the world at the moment.

Even if all parts are in stock, there's still a queue to be built, this is the highest demand for computing equipment in history due to everyone working from home, plus some of the most significant CPU and GPU releases in decades. Unfortunately everyone is buying new systems at the moment.

3qtrsamericano

Bright Spark
Gaming desk ✅ (Eurka Gaming Desk)
Desk Chair ✅ (Nothing fancy; got one from my work)
Keyboard ✅ (Ducky One2 Horizon Brown Cherry Mx Switch)
Mouse ✅ (Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini)
Gaming headphones ✅ (Razer Kraken X Lite)
Joystick ✅ (Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Edition)
Throttle Quadrant ✅ (Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Edition)
Gaming Monitor ✅ (Samsung G5)
Custom PC 👀

:ROFLMAO:

MrWilson

Godlike
Gaming desk ✅ (Eurka Gaming Desk)
Desk Chair ✅ (Nothing fancy; got one from my work)
Keyboard ✅ (Ducky One2 Horizon Brown Cherry Mx Switch)
Mouse ✅ (Razer DeathAdder V2 Mini)
Gaming headphones ✅ (Razer Kraken X Lite)
Joystick ✅ (Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Edition)
Throttle Quadrant ✅ (Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Edition)
Gaming Monitor ✅ (Samsung G5)
Custom PC 👀

:ROFLMAO:
Looks like a sweet setup!
Can heartily recommend the Deathadder, was going to go for the Mini but got the regular for a good deal on Prime Day. A very nice mouse indeed.

3qtrsamericano

Bright Spark
Looks like a sweet setup!
Can heartily recommend the Deathadder, was going to go for the Mini but got the regular for a good deal on Prime Day. A very nice mouse indeed.

Thanks @MrWilson. Will definitely post pics once it's all come together.

I was going to go with the full size one but thought the mini would probably be better suited for his hands.

3qtrsamericano

Bright Spark
Hi @Scott. Quick question.....I have the following storage spec'd:

1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3000MB/sR | 1600MB/sW)

2nd M.2 SSD Drive
1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2500MB/sW)

Would you recommend adding another storage drive? Something like:
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5"HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM,64MB CACHE?

I don't envision needing it as I doubt my son will have tons of storage like music or pictures etc.

And I'm assuming the 1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD will be sufficient to install his games?

3qtrsamericano

Bright Spark
The Barracuda would be for music, pics, videos etc.... if there isn't much need I wouldn't bother. Yes, the 670p would be for the games :)
Thank you.

I tell you. This waiting around for the build will be the end of me!! I need to block myself off the website!! 😂

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi @Scott. Quick question.....I have the following storage spec'd:

1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3000MB/sR | 1600MB/sW)

2nd M.2 SSD Drive
1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2500MB/sW)

Would you recommend adding another storage drive? Something like:
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5"HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM,64MB CACHE?

I don't envision needing it as I doubt my son will have tons of storage like music or pictures etc.

And I'm assuming the 1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD will be sufficient to install his games?
Thewre's one thing you have to watch with configuration, the smaller of the 670p drives which is where you want your OS is actually the slower of the 2 drives and the default is to put the OS on the faster drive, so make sure they put it on the smaller drive

3qtrsamericano

Bright Spark
Thewre's one thing you have to watch with configuration, the smaller of the 670p drives which is where you want your OS is actually the slower of the 2 drives and the default is to put the OS on the faster drive, so make sure they put it on the smaller drive
Thanks Martin!