PC Game Deals!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Guildford Games Festival 2022 is on this weekend and to celebrate, Steam has an event showcasing games made in the area. Many of them are on sale. Of particular note is The Room series for upto 80% off and the (now) fantastic No Man's Sky for £19.99 which is 50% off.

Probably worth a look for those interested in more games from the UK.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
You'd think it was December with the sales currently on!

The STALKER series is discounted on Steam at the moment. STALKER 2 has a current release window of December 2023 which is a shame. It's looking pretty good

Also, Rebellion has a 30 year anniversary sale on at the moment. They've made a lot of fun games over the years:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I just got 4 good deals through from my wishlist:

The Outer Worlds down from £50 to £16.50

Wolfenstein 2 New Collossus down to £3.74!!!! Obviously immediately ordering that one! I know it's old but I'm behind on my wolfenstein series. If you haven't played these, they're awesome

The new Scorn down from £31.99 to £23.99

And Horizon Zero Dawn complete edition down from £39.99 to £13.99, bear in mind apparently, they're making a remaster (DOESN'T NEED ONE)

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Ubisoft have caved in!

A couple of years back, they announced that they were no longer listing new games on Steam. And now they are - AC Valhalla is now on there with a pretty decent discount:

I would be tempted, but I'm aware it's a 20 hour game with 80 hours of padding to take it beyond 100 hours total runtime.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ubisoft have caved in!

A couple of years back, they announced that they were no longer listing new games on Steam. And now they are - AC Valhalla is now on there with a pretty decent discount:

I would be tempted, but I'm aware it's a 20 hour game with 80 hours of padding to take it beyond 100 hours total runtime.
I've lost track of how many hours I've played odyssey and i'm only just about 80% through it, I know its 100+

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I keep getting side tracked leveling up
I'm aware we're kinda getting off track, so I'll perhaps make this my last post on the game, but I picked up quite a few legendary armour sets in Odyssey and trying to level those up all the time to match my player level proved to be almost impossible as they were so expensive to upgrade. I ended up playing the game with mostly common bits of armour that I was picking up from enemies I'd taken out.

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
Still a bit off track, but relevant I think.
I play Days Gone on PC. Bought from Steam. And I'm quite active in the Steam Discussion group for that game, I like it that much.
One of the 'complaints' I've seen, more than once, is that it's like a Ubisoft game, with a definitely derogatory tone.
I know Ubisoft have been in the game developing business for a long time. I remember playing games by them a long time ago. There didn't seem to be anything particular about their games, at that time, which made them seem less bloodthirsty than any others. Have they 'Disneyfied' their later games, or something? Still blood and gore, but no big spray kind of thing, which seems to be the disappointing factor.
And delving further, is Activision still in the gaming business? Good flight/driving simulation gaming was their strong point.
I've not seen that name mentioned at all, anywhere. Although they might have rebranded, or been taken over.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I play Days Gone on PC. Bought from Steam. And I'm quite active in the Steam Discussion group for that game, I like it that much.
One of the 'complaints' I've seen, more than once, is that it's like a Ubisoft game, with a definitely derogatory tone.
I know Ubisoft have been in the game developing business for a long time. I remember playing games by them a long time ago. There didn't seem to be anything particular about their games, at that time, which made them seem less bloodthirsty than any others. Have they 'Disneyfied' their later games, or something? Still blood and gore, but no big spray kind of thing, which seems to be the disappointing factor.
And delving further, is Activision still in the gaming business? Good flight/driving simulation gaming was their strong point.
I've not seen that name mentioned at all, anywhere. Although they might have rebranded, or been taken over.
Ubisoft have largely gone down the open world action adventure genre, which is/was typically my favourite. They took it too far in that most of their recent games follow the same path. You will start off with a blank map which will soon be overrun with icons - main missions, side missions, collectables, places to go, things to see, etc. Their games stopped feeling unique, to the point where the most recent Ghost Recon, Far Cry and Watch Dogs games were pretty much just re-skinned versions of the same game, with slightly different gameplay mechanics. Ubisoft admitted as much and delayed the games to try and make each of them a little more different before release.

Activision are still very much in business, but have stopped developing all games that aren't called Call of Duty, and only really publish remasters/remakes of their older games (Crash Bandicoot and Spyro have gotten a bit of love in recent years). A few years back they merged with Blizzard to form Activision-Blizzard. Blizzard have the same culture and have pretty much given up on making games beyond World of Warcraft and expansions for WoW. Acti-Blizz (being lazy!) have been part of a takeover bid from Microsoft which is making its way through the courts due to concerns over the potential monopoly that could come from one of the console big boys buying up such large franchises.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ubisoft have a pretty awful reputation for how they treat their staff specifically sexual harassment claims that seemed to be systemic so a lot of people have a strong dislike to the company in general

CMP01

Enthusiast
Thing is, in the early days of the open world action adventure genre, Ubi were ahead of the curve. They got some great IP's established and going with equally good sequels at a decent rate of release for those hungry for it.

Then they kind of overdid the release schedule, copy/pasted overmuch, and stagnated in areas of such games that other devs caught up and exceeded. Now there's plenty of devs with far less experience and pedigree able to throw out games in that genre every bit as good, better even, than Ubi's IP's. Don't get me wrong, they are good games (well, mostly) but Ubi have been left behind in certain aspects... kinda content to sit on their (admittedly initially very well deserved) laurels more than being technically outdone. That said, they probably did more than anyone else in making that genre popular.

For me, after Far Cry's 3 and 4, and a pop at Assassin's Creed: Black Flag there wasn't much more to see. Tbf though I never really 'got' or got into AC (though my brother hogged both my XB360 and XB1 with AC1 through Unity) and a go at Watchdogs 2 later on was not convincing re optimisation and perf (nothing else at the time got my comfortably over requirements PC hotter) I understand that AC Origins and on changed things up but by then I'd already been wowed elsewhere. From then on the likes of TLOU, Dying Light, Witcher 3, HZD, Control, Days Gone etc, even if not all cut from entirely the same cloth, won through.

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
Ubisoft have largely gone down the open world action adventure genre, which is/was typically my favourite. They took it too far in that most of their recent games follow the same path. You will start off with a blank map which will soon be overrun with icons - main missions, side missions, collectables, places to go, things to see, etc.
That'll explain the Ubisoft style complaint then. Although I didn't consider it to be "overrun with icons", Days Gone does go the; main missions, side missions, collectables, etc, route.