PC Game Deals!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The whole story behind this is just wild. Epic were originally offering the Director's Cut of Death Stranding which features a lot of improvements over the original. Someone then intervened (potentially someone from Kojima Productions) and Epic switched to offering the original edition. But the original edition hasn't been available for purchase since the Director's Cut was released, so it was causing a lot of crashes in the Epic store, as an item was both available and unavailable at the same time!

I have about 114 hours in the original version and plan to go back into the DC version at some point. It's a weird game (as are most Kojima games to be fair!), but definitely oddly satisfying.
I wonder if the plan was that people would upgrade to the DC version rather than staying on the freebie?

Do you know what the main benefits are of the DC version offhand?

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I wonder if the plan was that people would upgrade to the DC version rather than staying on the freebie?

Do you know what the main benefits are of the DC version offhand?
That first sentence is probably the plan. Epic pay publishers full prize for every free game claimed, and then players could easily be expected to pay the extra to upgrade to the DC (usually £9 according to the Steam page).

Offhand, I don't but the bit you posted at the bottom of your post about the game is partially repeated on Steam and I think highlights the differences:

DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR’S CUT on PC includes HIGH FRAME RATE, PHOTO MODE and ULTRA-WIDE MONITOR SUPPORT. Also includes cross-over content from Valve Corporation’s HALF-LIFE series and CD Projekt Red’s Cyberpunk 2077. Stay connected with players around the globe with the Social Strand System™.

I don't tend to bother with Photo Mode, etc and it's been a little while since I played the game, so can't remember the kind of frame rate the game played in. It's possible that the original version doesn't contain those features.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That first sentence is probably the plan. Epic pay publishers full prize for every free game claimed, and then players could easily be expected to pay the extra to upgrade to the DC (usually £9 according to the Steam page).

Offhand, I don't but the bit you posted at the bottom of your post about the game is partially repeated on Steam and I think highlights the differences:

DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR’S CUT on PC includes HIGH FRAME RATE, PHOTO MODE and ULTRA-WIDE MONITOR SUPPORT. Also includes cross-over content from Valve Corporation’s HALF-LIFE series and CD Projekt Red’s Cyberpunk 2077. Stay connected with players around the globe with the Social Strand System™.

I don't tend to bother with Photo Mode, etc and it's been a little while since I played the game, so can't remember the kind of frame rate the game played in. It's possible that the original version doesn't contain those features.
That's the weird thing, when you claim the game, it gives you both the base game, and 3 addons as well but doesn't list any details.

1672013223167.png

With what you're saying, I wonder if these addon's are quite significant

So many questions!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ok peeps, I know so few of us are going to be online before tomorrow at 16:00, but MY GOD is it worth it!

Todays freebie from Epic is nothing other than....

Death Stranding.... YES, you read that right! Happy Christmas! Only released July 2020, a Hideo Kojima masterpiece, although a little out there even for him.

Additional PC features include HIGH FRAME RATE, PHOTO MODE and ULTRA-WIDE MONITOR SUPPORT. Also includes cross-over content from Valve Corporation’s HALF-LIFE series.

All copies of the game will also additionally include:
• “Selections From ‘The Art of DEATH STRANDING’” Digital Book (by Titan Books)
• CHIRAL GOLD/ OMNIREFLECTOR “LUDENS MASK” SUNGLASSES (COLOR VARIANT)
• GOLD and SILVER POWER SKELETON
• GOLD and SILVER ALL-TERRAIN SKELETON
• GOLD and SILVER ARMOUR PLATE

Oh dear, guess what.....................

macjim

Bronze Level Poster

Wololo_n00b

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys, here's the prediction for tomorrow's Epic giveaway if anyone's interested/wants to plan purchases, I'll put it in spoilers for those who want the surprise! -

Looks like tomorrow's Epic is also in the Dishonoured franchise, according to this Reddit thread. Not sure which one/ones(?) it will be, although a good few people think it could be Dishonoured: Death of the Outsider based on the colour scheme of the wrapping.

CMP01

Enthusiast
Well, I missed all the above games but then I kind of missed Christmas too, recovering from that weird flu business etc.

So, belatedly a merry Christmas to you all, and I pray you are all well, safe and gorged to the eyeballs with goodness and goodies.

I'm kind of bummed over missing Death Stranding most of all, though that whole what edition is it really biz was weird. It's still on my Steam wishlist though, somewhere between 5 and 10 (yes, I order it from most wanted down etc)

I did buy and try one game from a series that'd been good. Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail but got a refund as it's not a spot on Ultimate General: Civil War (which racked up over 1000 hours, 2 campaigns for each of the 2 sides and many battles between) So I have a ton of habitual impulse credit on Steam and despite the wishlist no idea what to go for. Recommendations would be well received.

Just checked Epic, Mortal Shell is the freebie rn. Looks good but also too Souls-y for me.