pc wont boot

Sweeney47

Firstly you should note that I was pretty livid with that first post, I'd spent about an hour and a half trying to fix my PC to no avail and based on the information I had at that time I think it's not that hard to see why seeing a boot timestamp from before the PC broke would make someone question the service that was provided...

My first email was through normal email, the second which never got a reply and took 5 days to be read was through the admin pages...

It's been 2 weeks since my PC was returned so for 2 weeks I blamed DPD, until yesterday when I saw the last boot time and that made me doubt PCS's capabilities so if that's a quick change of blame so be it... But I assign the burden to both... DPD didn't put my card in without it being clipped correctly to the motherboard. Their delivery may have caused the impact which caused the damage but would there have been that damage if my card was fitted securely?

As for a reason, you supplied one yourself... The original return was at a point of high volume orders. An order on a new PC which earns them 1.5k is higher on the priority list than repairing a PC they'll get nothing for so I can see why they might skip full testing...

It's easy to say stop being negative but im sitting here with an expensive piece of equipment that has been broken for over a month, through no fault of my own. Yet I've been forced to use a PC that's 5 years old and still works like a charm (In fact I'm enjoying being on XP again) and thank god it can handle Mass Effect 3...

I'm moving in a few weeks so my chance to get this sorted pre-move is getting smaller...

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Sweeney, I'm really sorry you're having these troubles with your PC, when we test a system we don't just look for one good boot or a message that comes up on the screen, we do a series of reboots, usually in the amount of 50-100, we also do a large number of cold boots, we also completely test the system for its graphical perormance by playing games, running benchmarks and basically using the system to find out what is happening, as I've said to many forum members before, it makes no sense for us to not test it, it's just suicide to not do it.

We can get this card sorted out for you, we just need it back and we can get it prioritised for you, if we knew it was going to do this when you got it there is not a chance we would have sent it.

I agree, can everyone please calm down, we thank you all for your support but nthing is going to be helped by getting heated over anything, having a PC that is repaired is very frsutrating and I know you're all just trying to help, that's why we love you all! Sweeney, you've been around our forums long enough to know that these things can happen, and if there was anything we could do to prevent it we would have done it, but as far as I can see the card was working when it left and now it isn't, why is a seperate matter which we hope to find out, the main thing is we want to get that card replaced for you and get this running.

At the end of the day you're allowed to be incredibly frustrated by these occurences, it;'s our right to be, let's just move forward and get this sorted out for you.

Feel free to PM me for any information and I will get back to you usually within the same day as I can access the forums at home too.

EDIT: Also, enquiries had a backlog that was about 3-5 days behind, we are now caught up and it should be same/next day responses to most emails from there now, barring weekends of course.

Last edited:

Sweeney47

I understand JakAttack but as I have said, further tests myself have shown that it's not just a problem with the card... The card is dead and wont work, getting that fixed/replaced isn't going to fix the fact that windows cannot boot! With the card in it wont go to bios, with another card in it wont go to windows... In other words, I'll need to send the whole PC back again, something I cannot sort until I get chance to call tomorrow morning...

As for knowing these things can happen, I know they can, but you always believe it will never happen to you... That first rant post was made after a long day at work (we're preparing for audit) and after trying to fix it for an hour and a half to no avail!

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
No worries Sweeney, like I said, we're allowed to get annoyed, freedom of speech and all that ;) If it's been having issues alot of the time Windows can get itself into a bit of a tizz and just prevent itself from booting, I'd bet a pint on me being able to get you into Windows within 20 minutes and get you up and running again with a spare GPU, but the ATI card is definitely buggered by the sounds of it.

I'm in tomorrow if you want me to give you a shout and we'll give getting into Windows in a bash, and if I can't, I owe you a pint.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Sweeny, Im sorry if I came across harsh or anything, there just seem to be an awful lot of people jumping to conclusions recently, as I said, I know its frustrating, but as I am sure you know from having looked around on the forums previously, PCS are always extremely helpful. It really isn't in their interest to mess you around.

Sweeney47

Sounds good Jak,

I'm viewing a flat tomorrow morning so got to work out what time I need to leave etc to get there but was planning on calling PCS some time between 9-10:30...

Edit: Frenchy - I'm not as frustrated as I originally was, but it is frustrating, not only that this has all happened when my PC is still young but that due to my work I can only call them on Saturdays and sometimes on Fridays so takes until the end of the week to get any sort of process moving! So everytime I notice something is wrong, it's another week lost contacting PCS, 1-2 weeks in getting it fixed etc...

Last edited:

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
No problem, give us a shout when you're with it, ask for me (Jack... obviously :)) and I'll give you a buzz back so you're not paying for the call.