Pc's gone mega mega slow!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Pc's gone wont boot

evening all,

just spent a weekend away, came back turned on my pc, to find it saying "pc was not shut down correctly etc etc" yeah it was lol, i know it was. It loaded up very very slowly, when normally mega ssd fast. programs wouldn't load up properly.

so opted for a restart, took it ages to shut down, then stated again was shut down wrong, so opted for safe mode, that took ages too, then stopped it wouldnt work, then said something about windows image or something, then got blue screen and it restarted itself.

again blue screen then restart, any idea?

this is completely random, I really dont wanna reinstall windows. i have babckups on ex hdd, but stuggling to get into windows, no wires have worked loose, i have no viruses or nasties.

would the fact i turned the psu after shutting pc off on thursday night have caused this?

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
third blue screen at attempts to load safe mode or normally. gutted,

I have no lights on the MB to suggest a fault.

fourth blue screen now

NMEBowen

Master Poster
do you have any partiotions on your cavier black? if so you could try a windows install on the hdd and disconnect the ssd as ive heared alot of horror storied with the ocz ssd`s.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
do you have any partiotions on your cavier black? if so you could try a windows install on the hdd and disconnect the ssd as ive heared alot of horror storied with the ocz ssd`s.

thanks for the reply, but wouldn't that wipe my hdd? I'd rather wipe the ssd than the hdd. I got into the bios, but not very clued in there. opened advanced and boot bit, couldn't find the ssd. so could be a fail there, but the boot device led is not on, would be on constant if ssd fails, according the manual anyway.

the pc is just in a cycle of shutting + rebooting, cant get anywhere.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Try recovering windows with your OS disk.
instructions are given in the welcome booklet.
you could first try a system restore to before the problem,failing that try a startup repair.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
you could try installing windows to a large flash drive and boot from that for now if you dont have one you can pick them up for like 20 quid for a 32 gb pen drive. alternativly do you have another desktop pc that you can fit your ssd into? format the ssd and upgrade the firmware might possibly fix it.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
my god, this start up repair is taking ages!

how long do they normally take? it does say may take over an hour, lol

Fear

Prolific Poster
Really dont wanna do that though. should have opted for a system restore, oh well going to have to wait.

You only got a 60GB SSD so you can't have too much on there to replace and you don't need to wipe your HDD but fair enough i just hate wasting time ;) anyway hope the repair sorts it out for you.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
You only got a 60GB SSD so you can't have too much on there to replace and you don't need to wipe your HDD but fair enough i just hate wasting time ;) anyway hope the repair sorts it out for you.

thanks, it would involve downloading everything again, but i may still do it tomorrow, although wouldn't it cause problems with steam for example (installed on HDD)

I'd just have to disconnect the hdd before re-installing the OS?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
If startup repair isn't going to work & there's no way of knowing how long it could take,
personally I would switch the computer off after 2 or 3 hours & try a system restore from the OS disk,though i've heard of people running startup repair for a lot longer,
one other thing you could try is last known good "configuration"
Remove CDs, and DVDs
boot to Advanced Boot Options screen by pressing F8,
use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration (advanced), and then press Enter.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
If startup repair isn't going to work & there's no way of knowing how long it could take,
personally I would switch the computer off after 2 or 3 hours & try a system restore from the OS disk,though i've heard of people running startup repair for a lot longer,
one other thing you could try is last known good "configuration"
Remove CDs, and DVDs
boot to Advanced Boot Options screen by pressing F8,
use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration (advanced), and then press Enter.

oh thanks didn't know I could do that, I'm stuck in the startup repair now, it wont let me cancel it, so looks like its staying on all night.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
No,it wont let you cancel it,you have to shut the power off,
no harm in letting it run all night though,
you never know.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
No,it wont let you cancel it,you have to shut the power off,
no harm in letting it run all night though,
you never know.

yeah will leave it going all night, thanks for the help by the way.

lol you always seem to help me out.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
system repair didn't work lol, gonna have to try a restore, sometimes it will load into windows, but then just freezes with the little loading icon.

ParagonNova

Im Pretty Sure That When You Stick In The Windows CD (If You Still Have It) There Is An Option To Re-Install The OS But Leave All Other Files Intact If You Are Worried About Loosing Files?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Im Pretty Sure That When You Stick In The Windows CD (If You Still Have It) There Is An Option To Re-Install The OS But Leave All Other Files Intact If You Are Worried About Loosing Files?
Nope,not with windows7.
Tom,if system restore or "last known good configuration" doesn't work, looks like clean install.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
well here's an update, lol

called pcs spoke to jack, very helpful.

he talked me through doing a chdkdsk using the command prompt. so left that to crack on a for a few hours,.

came back to find a underscore flashing, so had to restart pc, then stuck in loop, all can do is get in the bios.

bios couldnt find my vertex 2 ssd. So looks like that's failed completely now. :(