Pre production working days

Gavras

Master Poster
How accurate is your experience with the estimated time given by PCS for your builds that have already been delivered recently.

Just wondering, thanks!
Was pretty much spot on from say 2 week point, prior to that it’s was finger in air.

on 6th August my email said 17th build and they stuck to it.

rest as per my previous post, with build 17th then received it 19th.

They also put in cables for my GFX card and my HDD (I had requested via on line chat), this made fitting my own stuff from my old computer simples.

tonystar73

Processed Date20-07-2020
Pre-Production Date24-07-2020

I've been on Pre-Production for 24 working days so far, and have been waiting for a missing component (AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU) to arrive to begin the building process since 12-08-2020. Exactly how much longer do I have to wait for the part to come in?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Processed Date20-07-2020

I've been on Pre-Production for 24 working days so far, and have been waiting for a missing component (AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU) to arrive to begin the building process since 12-08-2020. Exactly how much longer do I have to wait for the part to come in?
Who knows? There is (or has been) a worldwide shortage of components due to COVID restrictions in Asia. You can give PCS a call (or Live Chat) to see whether they have an expected delivery date.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Processed Date20-07-2020

It's due back in stock 10/09/2020 according to the configurator.

Just switch it to the 3600x which I believe is in stock.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Who knows? There is (or has been) a worldwide shortage of components due to COVID restrictions in Asia. You can give PCS a call (or Live Chat) to see whether they have an expected delivery date.
Yeah, you can clearly see that shortage when you go to Amazon and they're out of stock for that same cpu (and the 3300x as well) for quite a while now. They're saying that it will be back on stock on September 9th (which almost matches to the PCS configurator date) and the 3300x has no expected date to be back.

tonystar73

@ubuysa @SpyderTracks @Nursemorph

Cause the 3600X is only a few pounds more, I am considering to just go with that as its in stock. However, when I go to amend my order and change it to the 3600X, its telling me its gonna cost an additional £18 for the change.

Why on earth is it more expensive to change to a part that's in stock? Where is the additional charge coming from?

I don't think its right to charge me to change to a component that's in stock when the other part I did want was lied about being in stock when I made the initial purchase.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Cause the 3600X is only a few pounds more, I am considering to just go with that as its in stock. However, when I go to amend my order and change it to the 3600X, its telling me its gonna cost an additional £18 for the change.

Why on earth is it more expensive to change to a part that's in stock? Where is the additional charge coming from?

I don't think its right to charge me to change to a component that's in stock when the other part I did want was lied about being in stock when I made the initial purchase.
You cannot say that PCS lied and language like that is not acceptable.

It may we have shown as in stock when you ordered and it almost certainly was. But then another order in the queue moved into building and used the last of the stock.

PCS don't allocate stock to your build when you order, because you can (and many do) change your build before it moves into building.

As far as the cost is concerned you'll need to ask PCS.

Gavras

Master Poster

pretty much all manufacturing is based on Bill of Materials cost.

This allows manufacturers to change the configuration of parts that make up a finished product.

If you change to an item after an order is placed, it may be classed as an upgrade (change in config).

The manufacturer will have ordered against the original BoM and will be due these parts in (or allocated against build).

Also majority of suppliers order against expexted builds as opposed to actuals, as this allows orders to be placed to cut lead times.

Where actual demand exceeds expected, then yes there is a shortage and lead times for parts come in to play.

This is case with most companies - The options are to wait for lead time items or change to another part, that will be cost of new part and a percentage of the original part, as they now have a part with no order against it.

as has been said, contact PCS directly as to reason, then you have the choice wait for part or pay for the change.

There is no lying going on, it’s just basic material flow and logistics.

tonystar73

You cannot say that PCS lied and language like that is not acceptable.

It may we have shown as in stock when you ordered and it almost certainly was. But then another order in the queue moved into building and used the last of the stock.

PCS don't allocate stock to your build when you order, because you can (and many do) change your build before it moves into building.

As far as the cost is concerned you'll need to ask PCS.

I apologies for my poor choice of words. However, I'm just a little frustrated that for the first 3 weeks I'm getting regular messages saying that the build date will happen on so and so date... But then suddenly I get a message saying PCS is waiting on an ETA from their supplier for one of the parts missing.

On top of that, its been almost 2 weeks since that message from PCS to let me know of a ETA. Surely it doesn't take more than 2 weeks for somebody to know when new stock will arrive in...

tonystar73

pretty much all manufacturing is based on Bill of Materials cost.

This allows manufacturers to change the configuration of parts that make up a finished product.

If you change to an item after an order is placed, it may be classed as an upgrade (change in config).

The manufacturer will have ordered against the original BoM and will be due these parts in (or allocated against build).

Also majority of suppliers order against expexted builds as opposed to actuals, as this allows orders to be placed to cut lead times.

Where actual demand exceeds expected, then yes there is a shortage and lead times for parts come in to play.

This is case with most companies - The options are to wait for lead time items or change to another part, that will be cost of new part and a percentage of the original part, as they now have a part with no order against it.

as has been said, contact PCS directly as to reason, then you have the choice wait for part or pay for the change.

There is no lying going on, it’s just basic material flow and logistics.

Under normal circumstances I would totally agree with you, and If I was asking to replace a part they had in stock with another part they had in stock, I would 100% accept that charge.

However, the part in question is not even in stock, and as far as I know has no expected delivery date as of yet. So the fact that I have to pay a charge for something that doesn't yet exist seems absurd to say the least.

I won't continue to bother anyone else's time here on this and I shall be phoning PCS about this first thing.

ddr305

Bronze Level Poster
Just an update on my build time for anyone interested in current timings, today's email was a kick in the teeth 😅

Email received date. Estimated build date.
06/08/20 (order placed)
09/08/2024/08/20
14/08/2025/08/20
19/08/2025/08/20
24/08/2028/08/20

Deblooms

So, the estimate they gave me has been accurate since day 1 it seems. I received an estimate build on the 24th pretty much the first working day after my order. Now it's down to hoping that it'll go through testing without issues and will be dispatched tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Production Dates
Processed Date01-08-2020
Pre-Production Date07-08-2020
Build Date24-08-2020
Test Date24-08-2020

Deblooms

Now, in relation to my last post - this was faster than expected.

Production Dates
Processed Date01-08-2020
Build Date24-08-2020
Test Date24-08-2020
Awaiting Dispatch Date25-08-2020
Dispatch Date25-08-2020

Now let's just keep the fingers crossed that it comes here fine and DPD don't toss it too much.
DPD also sent me an email with the estimate being Thursday, which would be a welcomed surprise.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Now, in relation to my last post - this was faster than expected.

Production Dates
Processed Date01-08-2020
Build Date24-08-2020
Test Date24-08-2020
Awaiting Dispatch Date25-08-2020
Dispatch Date25-08-2020

Now let's just keep the fingers crossed that it comes here fine and DPD don't toss it too much.
DPD also sent me an email with the estimate being Thursday, which would be a welcomed surprise.
If you download the DPD app on your phone it gives you live updates and real-time tracking, plus you can organise delivery adjustments should you need to like leaving with a neighbour or specifying a different date. Well worth it.

Deblooms

If you download the DPD app on your phone it gives you live updates and real-time tracking, plus you can organise delivery adjustments should you need to like leaving with a neighbour or specifying a different date. Well worth it.

Luckily for me we have a concierge where all parcels are routed to in my apartment complex / building site. It's quite neat. I will however download the app and get live updates. I'm a stickler for live updates and tracking. Hope it works the same in Ireland.

ddr305

Bronze Level Poster
Just an update on my build time for anyone interested in current timings, today's email was a kick in the teeth 😅

Email received date. Estimated build date.
06/08/20 (order placed)
09/08/2024/08/20
14/08/2025/08/20
19/08/2025/08/20
24/08/2028/08/20

Just seen that mine has gone in to building today!