question to gtx 470 owners

alastair

Bronze Level Poster
when running gpu-z i noticed that the 470 had max temp of 90'c when under heavy load i.e metro 2033 with lots of settings turned right up. So i used afterburner it confirmed the temps, so i set a more aggresive fan setup, it's louder but hits mid 70's now.
So my question is this, is this the best way of dealing with the temp for a long lived healthy gpu or is the high temp indicative of an issue?

Ps i'm just using afterburner to monitor and set fan speed, i've touched no other settings.

Sleinous

Author Level
I'd use EVGA precision if I were you, displays a graph in real-time, I find it rather useful.

Mine doesnt top 75 deg on load, 45-50deg idle

alastair

Bronze Level Poster
thats what i thought you had eluded at when i was trying to decide on my gpu, i.e doesn't run too hot. Wondering if my mobo's auto fan profile was just a little conservative as it didn't rev up to 60% speed until 70c, and was still at 60% at 85c as far as i remember . Would you mind listing your fan proifle for me?

Sleinous

Author Level
my fan doesnt often go past 40%, this is a little concerning tbh.... what games are you playing? Metro 2033? Wouldnt have thought that would get any hotter than folding@home or, bfbc2, moh.

Gishank

Bright Spark
Naturally there are other factors, dust, airflow, etc. Though to be honest, having a higher fan speed won't majorly hinder the lifespan of the card as far as I am aware.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Well the high end Nvidia cards are notoriously hotter, louder and less energy efficient than the Radeon alternatives so I'm not really surprised by those temperatures, what case do you have?

Sleinous

Author Level
Well the high end Nvidia cards are notoriously hotter, louder and less energy efficient than the Radeon alternatives so I'm not really surprised by those temperatures, what case do you have?

Is my card a hybrid Radeon Fermi then? lol...

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Is my card a hybrid Radeon Fermi then? lol...

Don't know, couldn't find the thread where you uploaded your computer pictures in but the GTX470 does run hotter than the comparable HD6870

GPU -------------------- TEMP IDLE C --- TEMP FULL C

GeForce GTX 470 ------------- 43 ------------- 94

Radeon HD 6870 1024MB ------ 39 ------------- 68

(from guru3d.com)

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
94? rofl! No way, but yeah its not rocket science it runs hotter because its better! Mwhahaha, I love annoying you! Nah kiddin' anyway..

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
94? rofl! No way, but yeah its not rocket science it runs hotter because its better! Mwhahaha, I love annoying you! Nah kiddin' anyway..

Yeah I think they tested the cards outside of a case so there wouldn't have been much cooling to them :)

alastair

Bronze Level Poster
the case is the Cosair 600t.
Right, quick test using heaven 2.1 and auto fan settings. 1920x1200 everything on full, except stereo 3d
fan temp
idle 40% 50c
load 63% 89c

with my higher fan profile

43% 46c
78% 77c

Should i be concerned? Enought to speak to tech support on Monday?

Last edited:

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Those temperatures look fine to me for that case, it's not particularly good at cooling and the GTX470 can run up to 105*C before it stops working.

alastair

Bronze Level Poster
would you stick with stock fan speeds or go with the higher profile? Or perhaps another profile that balances out between two? So the case isn't great at cooling :( that'll teach me to jump on something brand new before there were many reviews. The ones i read raved about it, atleast it's not completely cooking it i suppose lol

Sleinous

Author Level
Your fan should be set to auto, it will increase in speed automagically when the card gets hotter. Again, download EVGA precision to find out if it is or not. It should be.

alastair

Bronze Level Poster
It is indeed increasing, sorry if i wasn't clear i've not set it to a fixed speed in either profile. The higher temps are with the stock profile set to auto(out of the box settings), the cooler temps are my own profile with a lower temp threshold before the fans ramp up. All i've done is speed up how quickly the fans speed up compared to the temp.

alastair

Bronze Level Poster
also should the temp build up gradually? as running the logo bit before the game in metro puts the temp up 13c in whats that a 40s - a minute

Sleinous

Author Level
Ye thats normal, when I alt tab out of World of Tanks I notice a decrease in temp within 20 seconds and vica versa

alastair

Bronze Level Poster
cheers for your help guys. I'm not so concerned about it now, i've decided to run with a custom fan profile which is keeping it at 45c 40% fan at idle and 75c 73% fan under full load with the case fans running at 70%'ish all the time. To be fair it's not that much louder and when playing a game i don't notice the fan noise.

After some searching i found a couple of sites claiming that if you swap the top 200mm fan for 2x120 fans it improves airflow so i might look at that if heat becomes more of an issue. It appears that the stock 200mm fans although quiet pull a lack luster amount of air through due to their blade profile. So nothing that cannot be sorted if needed, i assume that taking out stock fans and adding others would have warranty implications unless i popped it back to PCS to have it done.

Gorman

Author Level
Right!!

Enough!

Fermi is designed to run at 90-100c, and will do so without issues for years.

Sure you can get it to run cooler but there really is no problem to fix, hot card is hot.

I swear, i half expect to come into my kitchen one morning to see a load of slack jawed ATI fanboys stood around my kettle moaning and groaning about how it went all the way to 100c.

alastair

Bronze Level Poster
Sorry Gorman. Please forgive me (cower/hide), I promise not to start anymore inflamitory threads.

I realise you have heard this all a 1000 times before but it's all new to me.

I'll stop typing now....