Rakks planned new machine!

kruppsy

Master
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£79) -still mulling this one over

Has the Windows 8.1 update hit yet? Its supposedly going to make it a lot more paletable.

EDIT: Just googled...end of June

Last edited:

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Haha, you also get your packaging taken off you for the greater good :) or in other words 'donated'

Rakk

The Awesome
You may also consider upgrading the warranty.
I figure I can do that in a few months once my bank has recovered, cos I'm also planning on going on holiday at the end of June (which wont cost as much as this PC but still isnt cheap).

Rakk

The Awesome
So one question I have, the boost on the CPU's, that comes into action when the CPU is basically at full speed if more is needed isn't it, ie. it doesnt require a specific command from whatever is using said CPU?
I seem to remember when I first used EQ2 on my current machine I got warnings about one CPU being used excessively, so something like that I'm guessing would trigger the boost? - though is there any limit to how long the boost will hold - or would it start to object?

Don't suppose anyone knows the answers to those questions? :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Don't suppose anyone knows the answers to those questions? :)

The boost is usually dependant on temperature and usage. If the core temperature is below a certain temperature, and usage is above a certain percentage, then boost is applied. I believe that when a single core is being used (or just two of them) then the boost is bigger and the other cores will be clocked down low.

Intel's system may work differently but this is how it works on Bulldozer, Nvidia Tegra 3, and GPU Boost on Nvidia is similar

Rakk

The Awesome
So, this mornings quandry, Win7 or Win8, aggghh!!
I like Win7, but Win8 is supposedly faster, and I'm not sure if i'll just get really annoyed with that whole metro thing
I hate making decisions especially when I don't know all the details :)
Anyone know if you can focre the metro screen onto just one screen (preferably the second in my case) of a multi-monitor display?

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Personally I'd go W7 but that's your personal choice. I don't know about the second screen thing though sorry mate.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
This may help you decide on whether to get W8 as this is the free update being released

[video=youtube;VQb5caeSo00]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VQb5caeSo00[/video]

sayresy

I run W8 on my laptop and (crappy old) desktop. Having been a windows user since windows 3.1 I find the W8 build to be excellent. The thing that annoys people about this W version is the metro screen which is really designed for touch control. There is a update coming out V soon called windows 8 blue. This will give you the option of doing away with this metro screen.

rujnning w8 is great - it feels a lot lighter and more efficient than w7. Even on my old steam powered desky it loads everything really quick and just feels lighter than the previous builds..

Your new rig sounds awesome...:rockon:

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Win8 does have problem with nvidia surround as far as I know + i prefer win 7 for gaming.

Rakk

The Awesome
Think someone has taken the plunge!

Was about to come and post to say the deed has been done, but you seem to have beaten me to it :)

I went for Win8 in the end and decided I couldn't cope without the fast track.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Was about to come and post to say the deed has been done, but you seem to have beaten me to it :)

It would have been hard to beat me on that post as I did it when you phoned up ;)

keynes

Multiverse Poster

so we should expect pictures next week? :)