Really annoying lagging problem

belksy

Ever since I first fired up my new PC I have had a real problem with the system lagging, and if I have any programing running it stop responding. This is extremely annoying when trying to do anything especially playing games. This is stopping me from enjoying the computer, and as I said sever times extremely annoying, especially as it's brand new.

Can anyone help with tips or suggestions? I would be extremely grateful.

belksy

belksy

AMD BULLDOZER EIGHT CORE FX-8150 (3.60GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3)
Motherboard ASUS® M5A97: AM3+ PLATFORM, DUAL DDR3, SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card 1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6870 - 2 DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
2nd Graphics Card 1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6870 - 2 DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 120GB KINGSTON HYPERX SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£43)
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX750 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£86)
Processor Cooling COOLIT ECO II A.L.C FAT BOY (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£79)
Sound Card Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Titanium
Network Facilities WIRELESS N PCI CARD & WIRELESS N BROADBAND ROUTER

Fear

Prolific Poster
Have you run a virus/spyware scan to make sure you have no nasties on there ?

Have you checked to make sure all your drivers are up to date ?

How much space have you used up on your SSD ?

What temps are your CPU and GPU's running at idle and when gaming ?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Not easy to pinpoint a problem like this,It could be a software or hardware issue,
to add to Fears suggestions,some things to try in whatever order you like,
1- havea look in event viewer it may give you a clue to the problem.
Go to control panel(All control panel items)/performance information and tools/click advanced tools on the left hand side/view performance details in event log.
this will take you to diagnostics-performance events, Ignore boot and shutdown events,
look for anything relating to "not responding"
If nothing obvious showing there,at the top of the tree on the left hand side,click on custom views/administrative events.
2-Update or reinstall graphics driver.
3-Open task manager & see if anything is using excessive CPU resources.
4-Run performance trouble shooter,
To open the Performance troubleshooter click ithe Start button/Control Panel/troubleshooting,Under System and Security, click Check for performance issues.
5-In "system configuration" click on the startup tab & untick items you think you dont need
to run on startup.The troubleshooter will probably point you to this anyway.
To open,type msconfig in the search box.
Failing all that you may have to look at hardware issues,
you could start by running Windows memory diagnostics tool,
Open the Control Panel (All Items View)
Click on the Administrative Tools icon, and click on windows Memory Diagnostics Tool.
Or In the Start Menu search box, type mdsched and press Enter.
Sorry for the long post.

belksy

Don't worry about it help is help. Thank you both of you I'll try both your suggestions when I get home and let you know later tonight

Belksy

belksy

Sorry fear I completely forgot, in response to your questions

1. I have done a virus scan and didn't detect anything, personally I wasn't expecting to as the first thing I did with the computer was buy and download bitdefender.

2. I don't know how to check my drivers.

3. I have got 50gbs free space out of 120.

4. I once again don't know how to check the temperatures of the CPU or GPUs.

belksy

Vanthus, i tried all of your inicial suggestions but unfortunately didn't get any results. And now I can't try the links you've just posted cos my computer won't connect to to the internet or even open firefox. I thought owning a custom built pc was suppose to be a nice experience this is just a nightmare, Im this close to throwing the thing out of the window!!!!!!!!!

'note to self' congratulations Ben you just spent 2 grand on a giant paper weight

Last edited by a moderator:

Corfate

Author Level
Calm down on the language :p

Give PCS a ring tomorrow, tell them the problem, they may be able to fix it over the phone. If they can't, they'll set up an RMA and they will fix it for you, just calm down :)

I understand how it can be frustrating, i've had new stuff not work, but it's not worth messing up your day, it'll get fixed mate :)

belksy

Cheers for your words corfate, I do need to calm down, I just havent been able to enjoy my pc since it arrived. I'll have to call them on Wednesday I'm far too busy tomorrow. I'll post afterwards what theyve recommended and whether it's helped.

Could it be a problem with the SSD?

Corfate

Author Level
I'd be furious if I'd spent £2,000 I something that wasn't working right.. I spent like £400 on this initially, to find that I forgot to get a wireless card with it.. Could have hit myself :p

It could be anything, like someone said, I think it was vanthus or fear it's hard to pinpoint it. I wouldn't know where to start :/ I'm sure the call centre will sort you put :)