Really need help choosing between these 2! For a gaming rig

Adam1712

Okay so im going to be buying this rig for the release of FFXIV and im sure most of you have heared about the diabolical recommend specs. There is no way i can afford something they are asking my budget is £750-£800.

So i am pretty well decided to go with the AMD Phenom x4 965BE for a cpu wherever i look it seems to get good reviews and seems to me like a good cpu... So the rest was down to the GPU really, i was pretty stuck with going tfor the HD 5770 which from reviews etc i htought looked like it could cope with medium level graphics for FFXIV... But i did a bit more research tonight and have found the 460GTX 1Gb... I seems to outperform the 5770 everywhere and i have found a rig which would fit it for 780...

My main question is... Will the change in motherboard have any mojor drawbacks? I am aware an will not be able to crossfire in the future as i had planned for dual 5770's and is the 460GTX better than 5770? The only differences in the systems are...

Motherboard - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO: DUAL DDR3

Graphics Card - 1GB RADEON HD 5770 GDDR5

Compared to....

Motherboard - ASUS M4A87TD/USB3: DUAL DDR3 USB 3.0

Graphics Card - 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 GDDR5

Any benchmarks from FFXIV with similar rigs would be helpfull :)

steveuk87

Super Star
go check the benchmark thread in the gaming section and look for my score (top SS) i have the Asus m4a79xtd and i used the 1GB Radeon HD 5670 :)

Steve

Adam1712

Thankyou for quick response... That is helpfull. What would you reccomend i do then? Would the 5770 have much of a boost over the 5670? And im guessing the CPU wont make too much difference since they are both very powerfull and probably bottlenecked by the GPU anyway? Thankyou

steveuk87

Super Star
the 5770 is double the performance of the 5670 apparently :) mines currently getting upgraded atm :) and tbh the 460 does outshine it by far but its up tp you tbh, i personally like the amd/ati rather than amd/nvidea :)

Steve

Adam1712

That is the other thing... The Ati/Amd is said to be more 'compatible' i know... plus the fact i will be able to go xfire in the future and i know 2x5770's will be better than a single 460tgx... So i guess it comes down to... Do you reckon a single 5770 will run FFXIV smoothly on mid quality 1680 x 1050? If so or even low-mid quality aslong as it is a decent 30fps+ then i am happy and will just save up for a second 5770? :) Also steve is there anychance when you get your pc back with the 5770 you could run the benchmark and post it on here for me? It would give me a ton of confidence to see an almost identical set up :) Thanks man!

steveuk87

Super Star
yeah no probs mate wont be till next week unfortuntly but when i do i'll post some new screenies, and yeah 2 5770's are better than one 460, but 2 460's are better again :p its really up to you and cash tbh mate, one 5770 will suffice tbh

Steve

Adam1712

Thankyou very much mate, its okay coz i wont be ordering the rig till beggining september :) Thanks again dude!

PaulH

Bright Spark
The GTX460 destroys the 5770 - Ive had / got both :) - The 5770 is cheaper though and still a VERY good value card

Sleinous

Author Level
Okay so im going to be buying this rig for the release of FFXIV and im sure most of you have heared about the diabolical recommend specs. There is no way i can afford something they are asking my budget is £750-£800.

So i am pretty well decided to go with the AMD Phenom x4 965BE for a cpu wherever i look it seems to get good reviews and seems to me like a good cpu... So the rest was down to the GPU really, i was pretty stuck with going tfor the HD 5770 which from reviews etc i htought looked like it could cope with medium level graphics for FFXIV... But i did a bit more research tonight and have found the 460GTX 1Gb... I seems to outperform the 5770 everywhere and i have found a rig which would fit it for 780...

My main question is... Will the change in motherboard have any mojor drawbacks? I am aware an will not be able to crossfire in the future as i had planned for dual 5770's and is the 460GTX better than 5770? The only differences in the systems are...

Motherboard - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO: DUAL DDR3

Graphics Card - 1GB RADEON HD 5770 GDDR5

Compared to....

Motherboard - ASUS M4A87TD/USB3: DUAL DDR3 USB 3.0

Graphics Card - 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 GDDR5

Any benchmarks from FFXIV with similar rigs would be helpfull :)

i'd recommend that 460, but id also recommend youw ait till Monday when the 2GB 460's will be in which should help you LOADS.

Gorman

Author Level
i am disturbed by the amount of ATI /AMD peddling going on around this thread. Wheres the Intel love?