Really :(

Johnny b

Bronze Level Poster
i done some tests last night and under 100% load for 30minutes my cpu temp reading's was 80/84c on 2 cores the other 2 was 75/80c max.

i'm really worried about these temps, i tested the system using realtemp with prime95 i ran prime for about 30minutes and had to stop because of the high temps can anyone suggest what i do? I feel like iv'e been so unlucky with this p.c so far.

Corfate

Author Level
Go into start, and search for "resource monitor"open it, then check what program is at the top of the list?

For example, mines Bullguard scanner:
cpul.png

I did however have Applemobiledevice.exe thing running average CPU at 44. This sent my CPU to 60-80%, frequent spikes of 100%.

Tell me what one is at the top?

Last edited:

Corfate

Author Level
Oops, nevermind what i said.. I thought you meant you didn't know why your pc was at 100% CPU!

Sorry about that, hope you get it sorted :)

onlynik

Enthusiast
I've only got a stock cooler on my machine, Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 case and i7 2600k at normal.

I ran prime 95 and checked the temps from the Asus AI suite, the cpu temp was around 70 degrees. I also ran core temp, which gave me a temp of 81 degress.

So there is a 10 degree discrepincy between applications.

If you are worried about cooling whilst running at 100% get a new cooler. I know I am going to.

Johnny b

Bronze Level Poster
I've only got a stock cooler on my machine, Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 case and i7 2600k at normal.

I ran prime 95 and checked the temps from the Asus AI suite, the cpu temp was around 70 degrees. I also ran core temp, which gave me a temp of 81 degress.

So there is a 10 degree discrepincy between applications.

If you are worried about cooling whilst running at 100% get a new cooler. I know I am going to.

Well i shouldn't need a new cpu cooler i have a Titan fenrir extreme and my temps at 100% loads reach max temps of 84c 4 degrees higher than your stock cooler? so its not the cooler thats issue im sure.
Iv'e only turned on the p.c 3/4 times and haven't even used it just tested, already had to RMA straight off the bat now this, i feel disappointed now. Thanks for your reply anyhow.

Gorman

Author Level
Well i shouldn't need a new cpu cooler i have a Titan fenrir extreme and my temps at 100% loads reach max temps of 84c 4 degrees higher than your stock cooler? so its not the cooler thats issue im sure.
Iv'e only turned on the p.c 3/4 times and haven't even used it just tested, already had to RMA straight off the bat now this, i feel disappointed now. Thanks for your reply anyhow.

Are the PC's in the same room? If not i don't see how it can be relevant what another user is getting. What was the RMA for?

What case is it? What makes you think that 80+c is high for an I7 under load?

I have so many questions!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
im not sure the cosmos is a great case for cooling although dont quote me on that

anyway, have you tried seeing if the titan is secure? if it wobbles a little, tighten it up because just the tiniest gap can make a big difference, make sure the fan is properly connected as well, and all other fans are also secure, although they shouldnt effect it much

Johnny b

Bronze Level Poster
Are the PC's in the same room? If not i don't see how it can be relevant what another user is getting. What was the RMA for?

What case is it? What makes you think that 80+c is high for an I7 under load?

I have so many questions!

No obviously there not in the same room, id say it's quite relevant due to the fact he has the same cpu our room temp's are most likely very similar all so. Anyway the RMA was that the cpu cooler bracket + one screw had snapped in transit and the cooler was very very loose, i wasn't getting a signal on my monitor and the system kept shutting down an rebooting it's self. I think these temps are high through research, PCS all so confirmed those temps seem high, do you have any advice?

Last edited:

Johnny b

Bronze Level Poster
im not sure the cosmos is a great case for cooling although dont quote me on that

anyway, have you tried seeing if the titan is secure? if it wobbles a little, tighten it up because just the tiniest gap can make a big difference, make sure the fan is properly connected as well, and all other fans are also secure, although they shouldnt effect it much

The case i have is the CM690 MKII Advanced.

I checked the cooler straight away when it got it back from PCS. Just checked again, although the screws on the cpu are tight the cooler can move a little about a mill maybe less but it seems firm enough though.

Gorman

Author Level
No obviously there not in the same room, id say it's quite relevant due to the fact he has the same cpu our room temp's are most likely very similar all so.

Ambient temps are very relevant. My idea of a comfortable room temp might be very different to yours. Slight play on the cooler is ok, as long as its not too dramatic.

I think these temps are high through research, PCS all so confirmed those temps seem high, do you have any advice?

I don't know who at PCS would say that 80+ is high for an Intel CPU under load, on air, in a mid tower with unknown ambient temp but i wouldn't!

Temps are very relative and examples on forums etc should be taken with a pinch of salt, technically those temps are absolutely fine for an Intel under Prime.

If the temps 'seem' high all i can suggest is checking ventilation to the case, record the ambient temps and reseat the fan with fresh cpu paste. Further than that consider changing the cooler for a higher rated one or move to a similar setup to mine, i.e full custom water loop. Under load i can push 80+ with an I7 920 no problem though if i leave it on long enough for the water in the loop to heat up.

Johnny b

Bronze Level Poster
Ambient temps are very relevant. My idea of a comfortable room temp might be very different to yours. Slight play on the cooler is ok, as long as its not too dramatic.

Okay ive tested my room temps the're about 18c/63f.

I don't know who at PCS would say that 80+ is high for an Intel CPU under load, on air, in a mid tower with unknown ambient temp but i wouldn't!

Temps are very relative and examples on forums etc should be taken with a pinch of salt, technically those temps are absolutely fine for an Intel under Prime.

The guy at PCS Mustafa Ramzan said.
The temperatures do seems very high, can you please confirm what you were using to test the computer?

I understand that you can't go by everything you hear on forum's etc so you're saying that them temps are fine and there's nothing wrong with the cpu etc?
i'm just not convinced 80+ are safe temps to run at 100% load,i bought this computer to do heavy 3d/hd video editing/animation plus a small amount of gaming at those temps i'm concerned it's going to damage my computer. I've seen videos of people overclocking and getting lower temps on air, i'm so confused.

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
If you can prime for several hours and the temps stay within the 80's then you are absolutely fine. Prime is an artificial test and not much, even the most hardcore program is going to push a CPU like that.

When people overclock they are turning off a lot of features etc to keep temps down like hyper threading for example, its all about the big numbers for them. Also they will be using ridiculous thermal paste, possible lapping the CPU / Cooler etc etc.

Mustafa is mistaken, Is it possible to get lower temps? sure it is. Is there any benefit of doing so? i dont know, are you an overclocking enthusiast? if so probably. Is there any chance of the CPU being damaged by 80+ under load, no none whatsoever.

Johnny b

Bronze Level Poster
If you can prime for several hours and the temps stay within the 80's then you are absolutely fine. Prime is an artificial test and not much, even the most hardcore program is going to push a CPU like that.

When people overclock they are turning off a lot of features etc to keep temps down like hyper threading for example, its all about the big numbers for them. Also they will be using ridiculous thermal paste, possible lapping the CPU / Cooler etc etc.

Mustafa is mistaken, Is it possible to get lower temps? sure it is. Is there any benefit of doing so? i dont know, are you an overclocking enthusiast? if so probably. Is there any chance of the CPU being damaged by 80+ under load, no none whatsoever.

Thanks for the reply.
When i tested prime for 30 minutes temps reached up to 84c so i stopped could of went higher. Why do overclocker's say watch your temps, isn't that because you can damage your CPU? or does that only apply to overclocker's? Doesn't make sense to me how people with stock coolers same CPU and rooms temps have lower temps than me? why would people buy aftermarket coolers if there worse than stock "well for me anyway" this just doesn't make sense.Don't higher temps mean slower CPU performance?

Edit - Do you know what speed my ram should be running at?

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
there must be something up with yours, is the heatsink locked down tight, the slightest wobble can make a lot of difference, if you can feel a little wobble, tighten the screws up some more

Gorman

Author Level
Thanks for the reply.
When i tested prime for 30 minutes temps reached up to 84c so i stopped could of went higher.

So leave it running and see how high it gets until it levels off, if it stops there its not a problem. If it runs up until the machine crashes / powers off then there is a problem.

Why do overclocker's say watch your temps, isn't that because you can damage your CPU??

Because when you overclock you make it hotter, which can trigger the thermal cut off. The CPU powers off to prevent damage. The only way you can mess up a CPU with overclocking is with the voltage. Intel especially.

Doesn't make sense to me how people with stock coolers same CPU and rooms temps have lower temps than me? why would people buy aftermarket coolers if there worse than stock "well for me anyway" this just doesn't make sense

Again, we dont know what exact temps were achieved on that one other example given here.

-we dont know his ambient
-we dont know how it was recorded
-we dont know how long prime was run for
-we dont know his exact cpu settings and if everything is indeed stock
etc etc etc

Don't higher temps mean slower CPU performance?

No.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
what im just saying, if the stock is performing better then there must be something not quite right, which is most likely the heatsink not being tight enough

i know 80 is not high, its low for my laptop, im at about 75 right now i reckon, only cos i stood it up next to a fan for 10 minutes

Gorman

Author Level
what im just saying, if the stock is performing better then there must be something not quite right, which is most likely the heatsink not being tight enough

What im saying, repeatedly, is we dont know if thats the case at all.

Different cases, different environments, wheres the scientific process?? you cant take one value and make assumptions on it. And for future reference, over tightening of heatsinks will damage the board.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
overtightening will, but if its wobbling, then its not very secure is it and probably not making full contact with the CPU