Really :(

Gorman

Author Level
I checked the cooler straight away when it got it back from PCS. Just checked again, although the screws on the cpu are tight the cooler can move a little about a mill maybe less but it seems firm enough though.

Its not wobbling!

i am beginning to dispair a little here.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Any heatsink Iv'e tampered with has always had a little movement if you try to move it.It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the contact.
Why don't you just let it run like Gorman said Johnny b,if it cuts out then you know there is a problem

WhatCanIKeep?

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

This is Mustafa Ramzan the guy who you spoke to, first of all I would like to apologise for the inconvenience and to what I had confirmed. I am not sure why I would have said that the temp is high when you confirmed that you were using Prime 95 and had the computer on load, but I do apologise for the inconvenience.

I can assure you if you are using Prime 95 and stressing the CPU and getting 80/84c then you have nothing to worry. If the temp keeps going up then we need be worried or when closing the Prime 95 Application the temps are not going down because that would mean you could have a problem with the cooler.

Kind regards,

Unwina

Silver Level Poster
I seem to recall that my Core 2 duo E6700 was overheating a few years back until I realised that the stock cooler was getting blocked by dust.

Thing is I got hold of Prime and used to run it out of the box. When the CPU got too hot it used to fail the maths element giving an FP error in Prime I think. I thought this was the indicator that other things were going to crash so i stopped running it and found a solution.

Its a long story but the PC could not be opened without breaking the warranty so I sort of solved it until the warranty ran out by getting some compressed air cans from fellowes i think. I was able to blow air into the cooler and get rid of the dust, it used to last about 3 months or so. Once I understood the problem all was ok and prime never failed.

Does this sort of thing always occur with Prime or is it just that the hottest bit happened to be the Maths Processor area and it gave up before the CPU shut down.

I think the temps were about 75/80C but the cores were about 85-90, memorys not that good. The PC only ever bsod a couple of times before I narrowed it down and it never ever shut off completely which I would expect with a CPU shutdown.

Took me a long while but do you use Prime out of the box or do you run a specific test item on the system?.

And a question for gorman perhaps, I never ever changed any voltages so i was curious if that was the case would my CPU remain ok for ages, the reason I ask is that the PC above stopped working, no beeps just fans, one day recently. I checked the PSU with a PSU tester and the 3V line had an error on it. I changed the PSU and fans started no beeps or anything and then the PSU went up in smoke , I tested the replaced PSU and all the outputs were errored ( I tested it before putting it on load and all lines were green (OK). I am now waiting for new PC from PCS but I am curious as I gave up for the moment on the old PC but the one i'm running has the SATA Disk drives from the old pc and they are find. I woukld have tried the RAM as well but they didn't fit in this box. My thoughts are the GPU took the PSU out but I don't know.

Any ideas what it might be MB / GPU / CPU or all 3. I am lloking for a cheap board that fits all the bits on ebay to try and recover the parts and establish what bit is wrong.