RECOIL 15 MISSING CPU and GPU Power Limits and NVIDIA Whisper Mode.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I appreciate its not apples for apples but I personally still don't think it's overheating.

I really cannot see bad paste causing throttling that aggressive, Not over such a short period of time any way.

I am also concerned that all of the CPU customisation options are missing from the new install of CC. The OP should have the option to change the 3 different boost wattages.

Testing is always good though you will get no argument from me.
We still don't know what version of CC it is, it could be an unsupported one which would make sense why the PL values are not enabled.

That in turn would make sense why the power limits are borked.

This may well be a hardcoded limitation but we need to rule out cc version first.

If it does turn out that user needs to contact PCS, we need to fully understand what their solution is, if it's simply a different version of CC, then that needs to be uploaded to their account. Also, if contacting PCS, verify if the windows 11 CC is the required version or if an update is required.

Either way, that CPU under its current limitations shouldn't be creating that much heat, but appreciate this is a secondary issue that can't be determined until the power limits are addressed.

barlew

Godlike
We still don't know what version of CC it is, it could be an unsupported one which would make sense why the PL values are not enabled.

Yes we do OP posted a screenshot from his W10 download section. He is using the Windows 10 version of CC. This is of course unless PCS have uploaded the wrong version of CC to his W10 download section between him installing Windows 11 and trying to revert back.

downloadfile-1.png

I know we don't agree but I maintain that the CPU is not thermal throttling for two reasons. 1 the CPU does not appear to be pulling enough wattage for it to reach the temps required to thermal throttle. 2. In the HW Monitor screen shot the temps are sitting low 50C's and maxing at 56C. Whether that is too high for a CPU running at 500Hz is irrelevant because its about 50C below the thermal throttle threshold of that CPU. If the CPU was thermal throttling both of those temps would be sitting high 90C's.

The CPU is running slightly warm I agree but its not even trying to maximise its thermal headroom.

barlew

Godlike
The version cc I installed was 3.1.35.0
Ill just RMA the laptop again I am tired of this.
Before you do that can you try to manually install the AMD chipset driver from your W10 download section. Restart your PC and see it makes a difference.

1644398602586.png

Akli

Bronze Level Poster
I know we don't agree but I maintain that the CPU is not thermal throttling for two reasons. 1 the CPU does not appear to be pulling enough wattage for it to reach the temps required to thermal throttle. 2. In the HW Monitor screen shot the temps are sitting low 50C's and maxing at 56C. Whether that is too high for a CPU running at 500Hz is irrelevant because its about 50C below the thermal throttle threshold of that CPU. If the CPU was thermal throttling both of those temps would be sitting high 90C's.
Well before all the problems, the CPU would idle at 50-60 on turbo mode. I don't think it's bad paste. I really think something went wrong when I was on win11 the moment I uninstalled CC version 3.1.35.0 my CPU speed went to 0.40ghz. I tried installing the new one and they did not go back to normal speeds.

The funny thing is when I RMA's the laptop for this issue before I got it back with win10 and CC 3.1.35.0 installed. It broke again when going to windows 11. I think the CC versions on my download page could be wrong.

barlew

Godlike
Well before all the problems, the CPU would idle at 50-60 on turbo mode. I don't think it's bad paste. I really think something went wrong when I was on win11 the moment I uninstalled CC version 3.1.35.0 my CPU speed went to 0.40ghz. I tried installing the new one and they did not go back to normal speeds.

The funny thing is when I RMA's the laptop for this issue before I got it back with win10 and CC 3.1.35.0 installed. It broke again when going to windows 11. I think the CC versions on my download page could be wrong.
Ok can we just unpack this a bit for clarity.

So you installed W11 and installed which version of CC? And when you had that version of CC installed on W11 your CPU worked fine, it wasn't until you uninstalled it that problems started?

You have already RMA'd the laptop for this issue and PCS managed to fix it but it broke again because you tried upgrading to W11 again?

Akli

Bronze Level Poster
Ok can we just unpack this a bit for clarity.

So you installed W11 and installed which version of CC? And when you had the version of CC installed on W11 your CPU worked fine it wasn't until you uninstalled it that problems started?

You have already RMA'd the laptop for this issue and PCS managed to fix it but it broke again because you tried upgrading to W11 again?
Ok, it went like this before RMA, Laptop worked fine on win10 with CC 3.1.23.0. Then updated to Win11. Saw that there was a new version of CC 3.1.39.0 for win11. I installed that after reboot my clock speeds were slow. I tried to go back to CC 3.1.23.0 to no avail. Then tried to go back to win10 using a media creation tool usb. Even without CC installed the CPU was slow.
I send it back for RMA, it was fixed after. They returned the laptop with win10 and CC 3.1.35.0 and everything worked.
Then I updated to win11 and the moment I uninstalled CC 3.1.35.0 to install the new one my speeds were back to being slow.
Tried the new one again CC 3.1.39.0 to no avail.
And now we are here.

barlew

Godlike
Ok, it went like this before RMA, Laptop worked fine on win10 with CC 3.1.23.0. Then updated to Win11. Saw that there was a new version of CC 3.1.39.0 for win11. I installed that after reboot my clock speeds were slow. I tried to go back to CC 3.1.23.0 to no avail. Then tried to go back to win10 using a media creation tool usb. Even without CC installed the CPU was slow.
I send it back for RMA, it was fixed after. They returned the laptop with win10 and CC 3.1.35.0 and everything worked.
Then I updated to win11 and the moment I uninstalled CC 3.1.35.0 to install the new one my speeds were back to being slow.
Tried the new one again CC 3.1.39.0 to no avail.
And now we are here.

Ok I have a couple of questions:

1. Each time you updated to W11 did you upgrade through W10 or did you perform a clean install? I.E. install through USB pen and run updates like previously specified?

2. When you sent back the laptop for RMA what did the engineers notes say on your RMA ticket? Did they just perform a clean install and configuration of Windows or did they do anything else?

My suspicion and again its just my opinion is, you are updating to W11 through Windows and not as a clean install (assumption on my part), when you do that the version of CC you have installed is compatible with W10 not W11 so it is causing some change when you perform the rollover which is borking your power limits and is potentially doing it at a hardware level.

By the time you uninstall it and install the version compatible with W11 the the damage is already done.

This is why I am interested in whether or not the Technician did anything other than a clean install of Windows.

Akli

Bronze Level Poster
Ok I have a couple of questions:

1. Each time you updated to W11 did you upgrade through W10 or did you perform a clean install? I.E. install through USB pen and run updates like previously specified?

2. When you sent back the laptop for RMA what did the engineers notes say on your RMA ticket? Did they just perform a clean install and configuration of Windows or did they do anything else?

My suspicion and again its just my opinion is, you are updating to W11 through Windows and not as a clean install (assumption on my part), when you do that the version of CC you have installed is compatible with W10 not W11 so it is causing some change when you perform the rollover which is borking your power limits and is potentially doing it at a hardware level.

By the time you uninstall it and install the version compatible with W11 the the damage is already done.

This is why I am interested in whether or not the Technician did anything other than a clean install of Windows.
1. I updated through win10
2. IDK they told me they fixed the problem and send it back. I do know that they did not do a clean install because my windows account was still on it after receiving the laptop back.

I also think it is on a hardware level.

barlew

Godlike
1. I updated through win10
2. IDK they told me they fixed the problem and send it back. I do know that they did not do a clean install because my windows account was still on it after receiving the laptop back.

I also think it is on a hardware level.
If you go into your PCS account and click on My Returns > Track Returns you can see all your RMA's. Click on the one relevant to your CPU speeds and read the report.

The fact they didn't do a clean install is puzzling so it would be good to know exactly what they did.

There will be a fault report from the engineer which will detail specifically what they did to resolve the issue and then under that there will be a list of Replaced Chassis Components.

I think this is being caused because you are updating through W10 with the W10 compatible version of CC installed. You should never upgrade windows through the operating system. You should always perform a clean install from scratch so there are no conflicts.

Akli

Bronze Level Poster
If you go into your PCS account and click on My Returns > Track Returns you can see all your RMA's. Click on the one relevant to your CPU speeds and read the report.

The fact they didn't do a clean install is puzzling so it would be good to know exactly what they did.

There will be a fault report from the engineer which will detail specifically what they did to resolve the issue and then under that there will be a list of Replaced Chassis Components.

I think this is being caused because you are updating through W10 with the W10 compatible version of CC installed. You should never upgrade windows through the operating system. You should always perform a clean install from scratch so there are no conflicts.
I just read their report.
Aha they did reflash/flesh a bios. Ok It is certain now!
The new CC or Windows11 just knocked something in the bios.
this also explains why CC is not working correctly.

Last edited:

barlew

Godlike
I just read their report.
Aha they did reflash/flesh a bios. Ok It is certain now!
The new CC or Windows11 just knocked something in the bios.
this also explains why CC is not working correctly.
I think it's more likely that there was a conflict between the W10 CC and your W11 install which caused the problem but either way it would appear you are going to need another BIOS flash.

Funnily enough this is something PCS will probably let you do if you contact them. They will provide you with a BIOS and instructions.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I would clean install W10, deleting all partitions, install the known to work W10 version of CC and forget about upgrading to W11, or if you want to go to W11 do a complete clean install deleting all partitions and then install the W11 version of CC

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I think it's more likely that there was a conflict between the W10 CC and your W11 install which caused the problem but either way it would appear you are going to need another BIOS flash.

Funnily enough this is something PCS will probably let you do if you contact them. They will provide you with a BIOS and instructions.
Be quicker than an RMA. And if you do this, don't upgrade to W11!!!! :p

Akli

Bronze Level Poster
Be quicker than an RMA. And if you do this, don't upgrade to W11!!!! :p
But I would like to upgrade to W11 down the road.
Aren't there people with the same laptop who are running w11. I would reckon that maybe my laptop has an incompatible bios version for w11.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Working laptop vs Minimial functional improvements from W11... your choice ;)

Not saying you can't upgrade, but if it was me, I'd want to know that doing so would not break my laptop, that there are W11 drivers and s/w for all key components etc. And as a few other posters have said, do a complete wipe and install rather that upgrade from existing W10.

Akli

Bronze Level Poster
Working laptop vs Minimial functional improvements from W11... your choice ;)

Not saying you can't upgrade, but if it was me, I'd want to know that doing so would not break my laptop, that there are W11 drivers and s/w for all key components etc. And as a few other posters have said, do a complete wipe and install rather that upgrade from existing W10.
I'll ask them to send me the newest bios with instructions. And after that, I'll try a fresh install of Windows 10.

barlew

Godlike
I'll ask them to send me the newest bios with instructions. And after that, I'll try a fresh install of Windows 10.
If you need any more help stick another message in here.

Also just a minor request. If you get troubleshooting help on the forum in the future, and the fault you are troubleshooting has relevant RMA history, pleaseeeeeee tells us at the start ;).

barlew

Godlike
Aren't there people with the same laptop who are running w11. I would reckon that maybe my laptop has an incompatible bios version for w11.
Sorry for the double tap post. I don't think its the BIOS I think the problem is being caused by the way you are trying to install W11.

That being said I personally will not be installing Windows 11 for a long time.