RECOIL 15 MISSING CPU and GPU Power Limits and NVIDIA Whisper Mode.

Akli

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, apologies, was looking at the vendor entry.

Can we see a screenshot of your PCS downloads?
1644361834600.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Then install nvidia drivers
And lastly, the windows 10 control center

Then run Prime95 for 10 minutes with HWMonitor open at the same time.

After 10 minutes post a screenshot of your HWMonitor window for both CPU and GPU while Prime95 is still running

I'm gonna go to bed now, if no one else is still online we'll look at it tomorrow.

Akli

Bronze Level Poster
Did you look at the two articles I posted earlier?
Yes, I am not going to edit registries, use throttle stop or do some crazy cmd stuff in safe mode.
As you can tell I don't know how to configure windows correctly. Would you trust me with such power?

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yes, I am not going to edit registries, use throttle stop or do some crazy cmd stuff in safe mode.
As you can tell I don't know how to configure windows correctly. Would you trust me with such power?
Well I think checking what your CPU performance is set to would be straight forward enough to try at least?

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Can you expand the top option on that and take another screen shot? The option above Slaapstand?

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
You seem to be missing many options for the power plans, including the performance option. Can you open a command prompt as an administrator, and run this command:
powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

This should restore the default high performance power plan.

Akli

Bronze Level Poster
You seem to be missing many options for the power plans, including the performance option. Can you open a command prompt as an administrator, and run this command:
powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

This should restore the default high performance power plan.
1644366102588.png

Done, it says high performance. but the settings in the power options did not change.

Akli

Bronze Level Poster
Then install nvidia drivers
And lastly, the windows 10 control center

Then run Prime95 for 10 minutes with HWMonitor open at the same time.

After 10 minutes post a screenshot of your HWMonitor window for both CPU and GPU while Prime95 is still running

I'm gonna go to bed now, if no one else is still online we'll look at it tomorrow.
1644368654781.png

updated nvidia diver and then installed Controlcenter for win10. Still running at 0.4ghz. and power limit options are still not present.
It is exactly how it was before. I am lost.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
View attachment 32291
updated nvidia diver and then installed Controlcenter for win10. Still running at 0.4ghz. and power limit options are still not present.
It is exactly how it was before. I am lost.
Which control center did you use?

Your CPU is vastly overheating, from what I see at 0.44GHz cap it's over 50c which is ridiculously high. It's possible I've got the wrong reading, but you haven't shown what was asked for.

Have you opened the chassis at all?

I would suggest you need to repaste as a first step.

Last edited:

barlew

Godlike
Which control center did you use?

Your CPU is vastly overheating, from what I see at 0.44GHz cap it's over 50c which is ridiculously high. It's possible I've got the wrong reading, but you haven't shown what was asked for.

Have you opened the chassis at all?

I would suggest you need to repaste as a first step.
In my opinion bad thermal paste would not cause the CPU to throttle to the point of locking to 400MHz. I think the W11 install of CC has either gimped the hardware or it has directly written somthing to the BIOS.

I also don't think it is overheating having 8 cores running 100% at 400MHz will generate some heat. Considering that CPU idles around 40-45C (correction my 5900HX idles at around 60C with the standard CC profile and its definitely not overheating under load) I don't think it is overheating.

@Akli I think you need to report this to PCS they definitely need to investigate.

*Edit* - As a further observation your package power is incredibly low. That should be sitting around 50W under load. The fact yours is only reaching max 7.3W during a Prime95 stress test shows to me that this is not being caused by thermal throttling. If it was throttling you would expect the Package wattage to hit the max wattage of around 50W and then drop very quickly as the CPU overheats and throttles. Yours is not getting past ten.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
In my opinion bad thermal paste would not cause the CPU to throttle to the point of locking to 400MHz. I think the W11 install of CC has either gimped the hardware or it has directly written somthing to the BIOS.

I also don't think it is overheating having 8 cores running 100% at 400MHz will generate some heat. Considering that CPU idles around 40-45C (correction my 5900HX idles at around 60C with the standard CC profile and its definitely not overheating under load) I don't think it is overheating.

@Akli I think you need to report this to PCS they definitely need to investigate.

*Edit* - As a further observation your package power is incredibly low. That should be sitting around 50W under load. The fact yours is only reaching max 7.3W during a Prime95 stress test shows to me that this is not being caused by thermal throttling. If it was throttling you would expect the Package wattage to hit the max wattage of around 50W and then drop very quickly as the CPU overheats and throttles. Yours is not getting past ten.
The throttle would have started long before Prime95 testing remember, plus your idle temps are at full power and unlocked Hz. You can't compare the two, they're entirely different tiers.

I personally still think there's further testing to be done to identify the root cause and there are still values we don't know.

barlew

Godlike
The throttle would have started long before Prime95 testing remember, plus your idle temps are at full power and unlocked Hz. You can't compare the two, they're entirely different tiers.

I personally still think there's further testing to be done to identify the root cause and there are still values we don't know.
I appreciate its not apples for apples but I personally still don't think it's overheating.

I really cannot see bad paste causing throttling that aggressive, Not over such a short period of time any way.

I am also concerned that all of the CPU customisation options are missing from the new install of CC. The OP should have the option to change the 3 different boost wattages.

Testing is always good though you will get no argument from me.