RECOIL III - i7-9750h & 2070 RTX : Temps problem

sonik14

Hello guys, I have Recoil III i7-9750H gtx 1660 ti.
I have read the comments about temperatures issues with Intel 8th and 9th generation processors for ALL manufacturers (Lenovo, Dell etc).

I want to receive some advice and also tell my case.

1) Windows prime95 - 12 threads
a) office mode => IMMEDIATE throttle of CPU to max of 2.6Ghz (almost 1-2 seconds after stress test begins) (Max Temp: 85)
b) other profiles => Exactly same situation with frequency 2.9-3.1Ghz (Max Temp: 95)
PS: I find the office usage EXTREMELY useful. I guess it nerfs the CPU when reaching a lower temp than in other profiles. However, the gaming mode never achieves higher frequency than 3.1Ghz.

2) Linux Stress Test
a) Single core: frequency 3.6-4.1 Ghz (is it throttled dynamically?)
Threads 1, 5, 7, 9: 85-98
Rest threads: 72-82
When thermal throttle is triggered(I suppose) then frequency drops to 3.1Ghz but temps drop also to 65-75. This lasts for a couple of seconds.

b) 12 threads: Immediate throttle to 2.9-3.1Ghz (Avg Temp: 85, Range: 65-80) [Same as case 1a with lower temps]

My concerns conclusions:
I) The higher temperatures occur only to 2 of the 6 cores.
2) Ubuntu automatic fan management gives better results than Game center's conf.
3) I can understand that it is not realistic and I should not expect my laptop to run under 4.1Ghz for a long time using all threads. But I can NEVER get more than 3.1 using all threads. Is that normal? If not in stress test, I can get 4.1Ghz frequencies for a bit (example launching firefox browser etc)

Systems temperature in Linux without heavy usage around 40-46 degrees.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If you're running Prime95 with AVX workload (i.e. any recent version where you didn't disable that), that could account for higher temps?

12 thread full load with ~3.1GHz is pretty similar to the Kitguru review of the Recoil with the 8750H.

If 2 cores are hotter than the others, it could signal a bad paste job.

sonik14

I will try disabling AVX instructions and come back with results.

It is certainly 2 cores and always the same that give higher temperatures. But form benchmarks I have seen here, almost everyone has the same higher temperatures to some of the cores

Last edited:

sonik14

With disabled AVX. Core 0 and 2 still give immediately 95 degrees but better frequencies around 3.4-3.6Ghz comparing to 3.1-3.3Ghz.
Another difference is that with enabled AVX after 5 minutes the clock was dropped to 2.6Ghz when with disabled AVX it never dropped below 3.2.

Cores 1, 3, 5 around 75 degrees. Core 4 around 88 degrees.

With disabled AVX I continuesly get Throttling in relation to this:
With enabled AVX, as said lower Ghz, but throttling turns to 'YES' for a few seconds every few seconds.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    97.6 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

Jonny1

Hey guys sorry for re-opening this, but I'm experiencing similar issues with the Recoil III with temps reaching the high 90s after 30 mins or so of use in games, especially in 2 cores which seem to spike higher than the rest. I've had the laptop since october, I was just wondering if it is reasonable and feasible to contact PCS about a refund?

Cheers

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey guys sorry for re-opening this, but I'm experiencing similar issues with the Recoil III with temps reaching the high 90s after 30 mins or so of use in games, especially in 2 cores which seem to spike higher than the rest. I've had the laptop since october, I was just wondering if it is reasonable and feasible to contact PCS about a refund?

Cheers
You have to give them the chance to sort it out, there’s no justification asking for a refund when you don’t know if the goods are faulty.

phitol

Bronze Level Poster

Cheers

As mentioned above, you really should at least try troubleshooting first, just google "gaming laptop throttling" and see how prevalent it can be. The first step is always to do some controlled tests to see if your laptop is abnormal or not.

1. Do you have fans on max?
2. Is the laptop on a solid surface so plenty of air can get underneath?
3. Is the cpu stock (not Overclocked) , although a small undervolt as you have is ok.
4. What are your pl2 and pl1 power limits set to?
5. How are you measuring temps? Peak(max) or average? I.e. is it sustained at over 90 degrees, or is it peaking at that?
And I’m sure there are more.

i find it helps to run some like for like tests with others, i benchmarked my 9750h Defiance V a lot when I got it, and found it (as expected) throttled quite readily at times, only doing like for like and comparing results did I satisfy myself it was a representative example of the laptop and stopped worrying. However, had I followed the like for like protocol and had it obviously exceeding others, I’d have been on the blower to pcs to get it resolved. id Be happy if they said to send it in for diagnosis/repast because you know it would get personal attention and should come back with it carefully pasted.
note the number of people buying big brand laptops and immediately repaste the cpu/gpu because the variance of paste and application is known to be so poor.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
id Be happy if they said to send it in for diagnosis/repast because you know it would get personal attention and should come back with it carefully pasted.
note the number of people buying big brand laptops and immediately repaste the cpu/gpu because the variance of paste and application is known to be so poor.

100% Agree with everything other than this. From personal experience I've had nothing but poor paste jobs on return from PCS (3 occasions).

It's a common gripe on the forums as well. My personal opinion would be that it's more common place than even is noted due to unawareness of the issue and how to check it. I think mine was applied with a trowel.

I have fed this back on those occasions but it's definitely something that needs training focus IMO as it's not a case of just slapping the stuff on. It's the reason I almost always recommend Corsair AIO coolers and not to select the additional high end paste with them (pre-applied good paste that doesn't need touched).