Recommendation of office or gaming chairs for home usage

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
Hi all,

I'm in need of replacing my current gaming chair and was wondering if any of you guys can recommend me an office or gaming chair for home usage, preferbly below £300?

Thanks.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My advice would be to stay away from 'gaming' chairs and get a proper office/ergonomic chair that is not just a branded version of a cheap 'racing style' one.

Have a watch of this, then decide.
I would so so utterly strongly absolutely and utterly agree with this.

Gaming chairs are really aimed at kids. They're incredibly badly built (unless you're paying over £400 for one that is actually designed well, and overly expensive for what you would pay for a decent office chair.

For office chairs, I've found mesh ones are the most comfortable and breathable. I find the leatherette ones often make me sweaty if it's an 8 hour work day.

There's a good load here, a lot may be totally out of budget, but gives you an idea of the companies to look at and find their more budget options:

The one gaming brand that I really do think make decent ergonomic chairs are SecretLab, but they're expensive. They do do office chairs also:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
To be fair, I've got no problem with 'racing' seats, as long as they're used correctly, and I've got Recaro racing seats in one of my cars, and can happily spend 8 hours on the road in them...they're that comfortable.

My problem is that they're not meant to be used as lounging gaming seats. They're designed to stop you moving around when driving enthusiastically, and are thus no use as a comfortable gaming/office chair...unless you have a full-motion gaming rig.

vOoiwVN.jpg

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
I would so so utterly strongly absolutely and utterly agree with this.

Gaming chairs are really aimed at kids. They're incredibly badly built (unless you're paying over £400 for one that is actually designed well, and overly expensive for what you would pay for a decent office chair.

For office chairs, I've found mesh ones are the most comfortable and breathable. I find the leatherette ones often make me sweaty if it's an 8 hour work day.

There's a good load here, a lot may be totally out of budget, but gives you an idea of the companies to look at and find their more budget options:

The one gaming brand that I really do think make decent ergonomic chairs are SecretLab, but they're expensive. They do do office chairs also:

Thanks for the web links. It has been a great help. Will pick a suitable ergomomic mesh based office chair for my needs and avoid gaming chair.

Last edited:

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
My advice would be to stay away from 'gaming' chairs and get a proper office/ergonomic chair that is not just a branded version of a cheap 'racing style' one.

Have a watch of this, then decide.
Thanks. I'll keep a look out for a good study ergonomic office chair.

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
To be fair, I've got no problem with 'racing' seats, as long as they're used correctly, and I've got Recaro racing seats in one of my cars, and can happily spend 8 hours on the road in them...they're that comfortable.

My problem is that they're not meant to be used as lounging gaming seats. They're designed to stop you moving around when driving enthusiastically, and are thus no use as a comfortable gaming/office chair...unless you have a full-motion gaming rig.

vOoiwVN.jpg
Makes sense, especially in my case as I can never sit still, even at work.

Ash_

Master Poster
Ergonomically... office chairs absolutely destroy gaming chairs. Mesh is an absolute must imo, also select one with good lumbar support.

You really don’t have to spend too much, to get a good chair, i’d advice avoiding ones under £100 though, as although compared to gaming chairs... they are nicer imo... the longevity of the bottom cushion isn’t there. So you could really be looking at, a new £80 chair every couple of months, vs a high quality £200 one, that lasts years.

you also want to look at reviews, regarding hydraulics, as some chairs may need regassing relatively regularly.

also, don’t pay an extra £30 or so, for it prebuilt. they are probably easier to build, than adding ram sticks!

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
Ergonomically... office chairs absolutely destroy gaming chairs. Mesh is an absolute must imo, also select one with good lumbar support.

You really don’t have to spend too much, to get a good chair, i’d advice avoiding ones under £100 though, as although compared to gaming chairs... they are nicer imo... the longevity of the bottom cushion isn’t there. So you could really be looking at, a new £80 chair every couple of months, vs a high quality £200 one, that lasts years.

you also want to look at reviews, regarding hydraulics, as some chairs may need regassing relatively regularly.

also, don’t pay an extra £30 or so, for it prebuilt. they are probably easier to build, than adding ram sticks!
Thanks for the advice. You really hit the nail in the head with sub £100 chair issue. Bought a £60 one in Oct and the right armrest support has cracked a couple of days ago. Going to try to get the right office chair in the next week or so, before I get myself into a receiving end of an accident waiting to happen.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the advice. You really hit the nail in the head with sub £100 chair issue. Bought a £60 one in Oct and the right armrest support has cracked a couple of days ago. Going to try to get the right office chair in the next week or so, before I get myself into a receiving end of an accident waiting to happen.
Big thank you for bringing this up BTW, I’m about to start a remote working role and need to invest in a good chair also, so this is really helpful!

Gavras

Master Poster
I have been working from home since February 2020.

The majority of days are 12 hours at desk at home.

My chair which I bought back in 2019, is a Secret Labs Titan XL

today, I have been sitting here working since 0800 and it’s now 1750, not got out of chair for over 2 hours and still comfortable, will grab a quick meal and be back here until about 1830.

it can be adjusted but to me once its sorted just leave it lol.

oh and will probably have a couple hours blast on World Warplanes after 7pm.

for Office Chairs, I can really recommend the following.

I have one as my office chair and we also bought a bunch of them for people working from home over lockdown.

very comfortable for long hours, you tend to just feed Devs and leave them to sit and work

Last edited:

Ash_

Master Poster
I’ve never physically owned this chair... however i have used one either the same or extremely similar. And they are fantastic. Mesh seat and back and the reviews look great.

(One of the low reviews is about holes not aligning, this is when someone fully tightens a bolt as they put it in, before all bolts are in place. Only lightly tighten them at first and this problem doesn’t happen).

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
(As always, my apologies if i do some mistakes, english is not my native language)

I'm an ergonomist (or human factor engineer, as you prefer) so, i'm allowing myself to give you some advices.
You may want to be carefull with the back support (it's better if you can adjust it)
If you can find a chair with arms support that move in 3D it's good (4D it's better)
Don't take a too deep base (it has to be less deep than your thigh)

And as a personnal preference, you may want to take a chair build with fabric rather than with leather (thnk about hot weather ... :D)

It's all i can think for now, but don't hesitate to ask me other questions if you need

Sincerely,

Don Coyote

I have been very pleased with the Ikea Markus chair. Not as adjustable as some of the suggestions but has been very comfortable for extended periods of time at my desk.