Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
I am not sure how many people here are into WWII Shooters but I have to say that personally I love the era, I remember playing Call of Duty on PC when it first came out and really enjoying the series

For anyone who doesn't know RO & RO2 is made by Tripwire Interactive, their first game Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41 - 45 was made in 2006 after they won a competition known as the "make something unreal" contest since then it has become a huge game with an expansive community

Their second game debut's in august and from what I have seen it looks like its right up my alley.

So get comfortable because this is going to be a long post

Overview

Heroes of Stalingrad will take the award winning Red Orchestra franchise into the next generation of gaming. Cutting edge graphics and audio built on Unreal Engine 3, inventive features and streamlined realism will deliver an unrivaled WWII experience. Focusing on the Battle of Stalingrad and the surrounding operations, both German and Russian, from July 1942 to February 1943 the game allows the player to experience one of the most brutal battles in all of human history. For the first time ever in a first person shooter gamers will be able to experience WWII from the Axis side in a German single player campaign. As always with the Red Orchestra franchise, Tripwire will aim to deliver unrivaled accuracy and attention to detail, along with gritty, vicious combat in multi-player, co-op and solo modes. Again, Tripwire have listened to the fans and have designed a whole set of new features to make the game more accessible and easy to get into – all while delivering the tactical shooter realism fans of the original game loved.

Features

RO multiplayer taken to new heights: Tripwire’s renowned MP already exceeds that of much of the competition – the new game will stretch that lead even further. With highly addictive and fun varieties of game-play online, the game will feature everything from quick, brutal firefights, through to more intricate and challenging simulation modes.

Persistent Stats Tracking and Player Progression: Persistence constantly gives the gamer something to strive for and keeps them playing. Grow in rank, earn medals, improve your abilities, and become a Hero – all visible to the complete online gaming community and embedded within the game.

Heroes: Obtain the ultimate goal and become a Hero online. Players with hero status inspire troops around them and cause fear in their enemies. Heroes have access to the best and rarest weapons and equipment, and will stand out visually from the rest of the soldiers.

Stalingrad Campaign: The Stalingrad campaign will feature the multiplayer maps used in a campaign layout recreating the battle for Stalingrad from both the German and Russian sides. This will be enhanced with story elements through the form of mission introductions and in-game cinematic sequences that begin and end the campaign.

Unique Focus – the Battle of Stalingrad in depth: takes the familiar WWII genre into a unique direction. Far removed from the well-trodden Normandy setting, gameplay is based on fresh scenarios and actions the player has never experienced before. Follow the German army as they assault the city of Stalingrad, to the banks of the Volga. Follow the Soviet army as it holds the city against all the odds then destroys the Axis forces.

First person cover system: Experience the ultimate firefights that a cover system allows, from the immersion of a first person view. Peek or blind fire over and around cover and more.

Squad Command: Command fire teams on the battlefield using an easy to use first person interface. Suppress the enemy, send a fire team to flank them and hit them where it hurts!

WWII weaponry redefined: true to life ballistics, bullet penetration, breathing, adjustable sights, free aim, weapon bracing, photo-real graphics and more, create WWII weaponry that has no equal.

Co-op: Players can connect with their friends and battle AI in multiple game types including the Stalingrad Campaign, Skirmish Mode, and more.

Offline Challenges – Online Achievements: Offline challenges such as the shooting range and assault courses let the player learn and hone their skills to perfection with all of the weapons and features in the game. Training with different challenges to achieve awards, win competitions and improve their skills the player can pit their best times/scores against the rest of the online gaming community.

Morale: Experience what it is like to be a soldier in one of the bloodiest conflicts in history and the importance of a soldier’s state of mind and how it can turn the tide of battle.

Exciting Offline Play: Offline play against AI featuring the Stalingrad Campaign, Skirmish mode, and more give the player an exciting and fun environment to learn the game before hopping online. Play any level or Campaign offline against AI to gain achievements and train for the online arena.

Competitions & Leader-boards: Compete to obtain unique awards and achievements with players all over the world. The competitions range from shooting range challenges to unique and fun assault courses.

Enhanced Unreal® Engine™ 3: Built on an enhanced version of Unreal Engine 3 the game features cutting edge visuals and features.

HUD: Guns behave realistically, with bullet drop and spin taken into account. The game also lacks elements of a traditional HUD like an ammo counter. Forcing players to remember, or manually check, how many bullets are left in the gun's magazine

Cover: First person cover system allows players to hide behind objects in the world to avoid gunfire. While in cover players can peek out to take more accurate shots or fire blindly. However the shape, size and composition of the object will change it's effectiveness at protecting the player. Smaller objects may not cover the player's entire body and some may not stop bullets

Health System: Health does not regenerate over time or by use of medical equipment, but wounds must still be bandaged so more health is not lost through blood loss

Trailer:

[video=youtube;jsUJnIl_9-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsUJnIl_9-I[/video]

Tanks: Tank warfare in the game is just as realistic as bullets, Tanks require 3 people to operate and the player must choose to spawn as tank crew. A gunner, driver and assistant driver are required to operate the tank.

Minimum

Windows XP/Vista/7
Dual Core 2.3 GHz or better
2 GB RAM
256 MB SM 3.0 DX9 Compliant GeForce 7800 GTX or better, Radeon HD 2900 GT or better
Sound: Windows Supported Sound Card
DirectX 9.0c
8 GB free hard drive space

Recommended

Windows XP/Vista/7
Quad Core 2.6 GHz or better
3 GB RAM
512 MB SM 3.0 DX9 Compliant GeForce GTX 260 or better, Radeon HD 5750 or better
Sound Blaster Audigy or better
DirectX 9.0c
8 GB free hard drive space

All I can say is that this game looks amazing and I cant wait, I have the original game on steam and even that is just as great for the time it was released

RO2: Heroes of Stalingrad is currently due out in August

Last edited:

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
Developer Diaries

[video=youtube;2zogCqAI2uY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zogCqAI2uY[/video]

[video=youtube;zzFSBVuD-Co]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzFSBVuD-Co[/video]

Interview

[video=youtube;wkk3SiywLHI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkk3SiywLHI[/video]

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
@Tom

No I am not a salesman ^^ I studied WWII for my GCSE & A level History so I am rather fanatical about it (not.. not the killing and horrifying morale's btw! just the history behind it)

The trailer was good it got me at least reading into it a bit, that was when I was sold on it.. To really see if I would like it I bought the original on steam when it was on special for like £5 and I really enjoyed that

I hate shooters where its just run and gun and hold down the fire button, Thats also mostly why I snipe in my shooters.. I like to take my time with my shots and make sure its a kill before I shoot

My theory is that if the game is to hard to get easy kills you have less chance of ending up in game with corner camping noobs who get 10 kill streaks and own your entire team

@Wozza

Did you know about this game before you read it here or did my post here actually help you make your mind up?

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
Will point out that the game is currently in a "friend & family" stage beta test, Im expecting that at some point this month or early next month we will see an open beta.. If you listen in part 2 of the dev diaries he mentions handing out 20,000 keys so be ready

tom_gr7

Life Serving
just watching one the vids dude,

2 questions
1. do ya get losers that run round shooting sniper rifles at point blank range? like in cod?
2. say ya sniping from a distance, you shoot a bloke in the chest will he be dead straight away or just lose some health and keep running?

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
Answers:

1) In the first RO there was a restriction on how many people could be snipers on a team, Matches usually were made to feel like you were a squadron & in real life most of the time there is a designated marksman therefore most of the time only one person could be a sniper per team

2) Yes, in theory in RO that is a kill however the game will decide on the circumstances that would contribute to his death.. a) is a medic nearby b) does he have a field med-kit c) did the bullet pass through anything on the way are some thing you need to take into account but 99% of the time a shot to the chest is usually a kill

The game will also do things like if you are shot in the leg you cant run properly, shot in the arm and you wont be able to steady your gun so well. If you are shot and patched up its no longer a case of IF you will die.. its a case of WHEN you will die, i.e either the bleeding will or someone will finish you off

tom_gr7

Life Serving
sounds pretty cool, thanks for the answers dude. Hope it doesn't end up with the same person getting to be the sniper/mg gunner all the time lol,

Look forward to the release.

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
With the cap of players per game being increased to 64 I'd imagine that the number of people that can play as each class will increase. Could all those who are almost certainly getting RO2 add me on steam please (TDFIFaithless or TiG Keenhail is my steam ID) I'd like to have a few people that I can actually play the game with when it comes out

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
system requirements got released

Minimum

• Windows XP/Vista/7
  • Dual Core 2.3 GHz or better
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 256 MB SM 3.0 DX9 Compliant GeForce 7800 GTX or better, Radeon HD 2900 GT or better
  • Sound: Windows Supported Sound Card
  • DirectX 9.0c
  • 8 GB free hard drive space

Recommended

• Windows XP/Vista/7
  • Quad Core 2.6 GHz or better
  • 3 GB RAM
  • 512 MB SM 3.0 DX9 Compliant GeForce GTX 260 or better, Radeon HD 5750 or better
  • Sound Blaster Audigy or better
  • DirectX 9.0c
  • 8 GB free hard drive space

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
currently running linux on my laptop as my original hdd broke :( add me though 'wozza365' and i will start playing when i get my pc

Dayve

They didn't show many guns being fired in the videos but the ones they did show sounded nothing like the real thing (not even close) and the muzzle flashes also looked silly. Looks good apart from that though, I guess.