Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
I will be pre-purchasing it on steam too with my next wage slip hopefully, if anything it will be purely for the last portion of the beta. If you are planning on getting it please remember to add me on steam

NMEBowen

Master Poster
wont have time to play it then id guess, i belive bf3 beta will be running around then and im only leaving that to sleep,eat and toilet breaks.

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
If you have pre-purchased the beta "should" (KEYWORD SHOULD!) be going live anytime in the next 2 hours, hopefully

Dayve

I'm really not sure about this one. On the one hand, it would be nice to have a WW2 game to play again. Its been a long long time since I played a WW2 game in Multiplayer, the last I believe was CoD 2 which disgusted me with its extremely arcade-like gameplay and which I lost interest in very very quickly.

On the other hand, the weapons in this game look and sound silly. From those videos the muzzle flashes from the rifles and machine guns look unnatural, and the guns themselves don't sound right at all when fired. The noise sounds muffled.

I dunno, I guess I'll just hope there's a demo released first, otherwise I'll wait until it drops to next to nothing on STEAM and then buy it in a few years.

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
Here is some footage I made today of me playing, this was literally within 20 minutes of me downloading the beta... I will say the game is really fun, Then again if you want a photogenic game like MW3 or BF3 this is not the game for you... for those who are complaining about the graphics, ****ing grow a pair k? Its an Unreal 3 engine

Seriously I'm tired of wingers sitting here and going ooo the guns dont look realistic, the dont sound realistic.. Watch the video below and tell me they dont, I dare ya

I enjoy RO & RO2 because the game requires skill to play, you wanna be a sniper? SUUUURE go for it... Oh yeah btw dont forget wind strength, distance to target, bullet drop, is he moving? negative and positive curve ect ect.

As you will see in a few of my kills in the video its very easy to die with a single bullet.. Many a time I only just winged the guy but due to blood loss they died pretty damn fast, came close a few times myself

[video=youtube;r9-xDOx82YQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-xDOx82YQ[/video]

If you want a decent WWII shooter then please feel free to join me, If not just wait for MW3 and BF3

Dayve

Here is some footage I made today of me playing, this was literally within 20 minutes of me downloading the beta... I will say the game is really fun, Then again if you want a photogenic game like MW3 or BF3 this is not the game for you... for those who are complaining about the graphics, ****ing grow a pair k? Its an Unreal 3 engine

Those graphics look like they came straight from 2003 and you expect people not to complain? Crap graphics that can't be maxed out even on top of the line systems (or so I see many people saying) and you expect people to not complain?

Seriously I'm tired of wingers sitting here and going ooo the guns dont look realistic, the dont sound realistic.. Watch the video below and tell me they dont, I dare ya

Well, I watched about 20 seconds of your video but for some unfathomable reason you've added crap music, which I'm sure you think is really cool because it's popular to do on Youtube and whatnot, but you're asking me to use your video as a reference point for what the guns sound like and I just can't properly hear them over that crap music. From what I could hear they sounded muffled, unrealistic and crappedy crap crap crap.

The movement looked stiff too.

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
I was sort of contemplating whether I should add music or not but after going back once I had trimmed out the bits I didn't want it, I kind of felt like people would get annoyed with just watching me run around but yeah I probably should have just dropped the music

I will also point out that the team actually went to Russia and designed the maps as the buildings were in 1942, They also managed to get their hands on some of the actual weapons used and recorded the sounds for the game. So how you can say they don't sound realistic is beyond me... I mean, what more could you ask for?

Secondly, I can max out the graphics just fine. I have everything set to Ultra with no problems... The fact of the matter is, is that the game is a SIMULATION shooter, Its meant to put you in the shoes of a russian/german soldier in the bloodiest battle of history & its not everyone's cup of tea, I dont expect it to be.. Its not meant to be for everyday CoD fanboi's who like to spray and pray and run around the map firing akimbo UMP's and getting headshots.

The game is made on the Unreal 3 engine, Why? Because if you read my OP you find out that Tripwire won the "Make something unreal" contest and that means they won a license to use the engine for all their games. Until they come out with their own engine you'll just have to wait... Are you really so hung up on graphics? I dont play a game because it looks good, I play a game because its fun and enjoyable

Anyways I'm done arguing, I'm gonna go back to the beta and have some fun

Oh and Tom the game is 24.99 for DDE (if you have the original) if not I think its 29.99

Last edited:

Dayve

I was sort of contemplating whether I should add music or not but after going back once I had trimmed out the bits I didn't want it, I kind of felt like people would get annoyed with just watching me run around but yeah I probably should have just dropped the music

I will also point out that the team actually went to Russia and designed the maps as the buildings were in 1942, They also managed to get their hands on some of the actual weapons used and recorded the sounds for the game. So how you can say they don't sound realistic is beyond me... I mean, what more could you ask for?

Secondly, I can max out the graphics just fine. I have everything set to Ultra with no problems... The fact of the matter is, is that the game is a SIMULATION shooter, Its meant to put you in the shoes of a russian/german soldier in the bloodiest battle of history & its not everyone's cup of tea, I dont expect it to be.. Its not meant to be for everyday CoD fanboi's who like to spray and pray and run around the map firing akimbo UMP's and getting headshots.

The game is made on the Unreal 3 engine, Why? Because if you read my OP you find out that Tripwire won the "Make something unreal" contest and that means they won a license to use the engine for all their games. Until they come out with their own engine you'll just have to wait... Are you really so hung up on graphics? I dont play a game because it looks good, I play a game because its fun and enjoyable

Anyways I'm done arguing, I'm gonna go back to the beta and have some fun

Oh and Tom the game is 24.99 for DDE (if you have the original) if not I think its 29.99

My favourite games of all time have graphics so bad a modern calculator could render them so no, I'm really not that hung up on graphics but in the year 2011 there is absolutely no excuse for releasing games that look like they come from 2003. If a game is good then graphics don't matter a damn, but it deserves to be criticized. The team may have gone to Russia and designed Stalingrad realistically, good, that's great, Brothers in Arms did the same thing with Normandy battlefields. As for them getting their hands on the actual weapons and using the actual sounds, I don't buy it for a second. Get thee to Youtube this instant and listen to the Kar98, the MP40, Mosin Nagant and PPSH, the 4 weapons primarily used at the battle of Stalingrad. Listen to the way they sound side by side with the ones in game.

I despise CoD and the arcade type of multiplayer, you couldn't pay me to play it, and I enjoy simulation shooters, so my criticism has nothing at all to do with CoD fanboiism.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
i may look at getting it, but away from my pc right now so cant watch the video in HD, (on netbook) How is it for teamplay?

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
Team play is pretty good but then again you do get games where people run around like idiots

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Team play is pretty good but then again you do get games where people run around like idiots

lol gotta ask, what about campers? I don't mind snipers/marksmen as that's tactical and how the battle of Stalingrad was fought. I'm meaning those that sit in corners waiting for people to run past etc etc.

tom

Dayve

lol gotta ask, what about campers? I don't mind snipers/marksmen as that's tactical and how the battle of Stalingrad was fought. I'm meaning those that sit in corners waiting for people to run past etc etc.

tom

Do you even need to ask? As long as games don't implement a penalty for staying still for longer than 30 seconds those people are always going to exist. There'll also be people who run around spraying SMG's a la CoD.