Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Don't take my word for it, you might think it's the bees knees,

I kinda cant help it, sounds really really pants and I really don't want anything to do with.

I wouldn't want to buy a game for 20quid, that still unfinished lol.

They wont attract any cod fanboys. cod fanboy's in my opinion only like Modern warefare/slack ops because of the up to date weapons and equipment. They are so narrow minded that they think the new cod will be any different than the old cod! lol different missions, but not different gameplay/online play.

Dayve

I just played it again for an hour or two, I have to say it can be really satisfying when you get 3 kills in a row with a bolt action rifle, especially against people using spray guns. It just doesn't make up for the terrible controls and everybody else on the server using assault guns that didn't exist yet and spray guns though. This game is basically just CoD 1 but with better graphics and worse controls.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I just played it again for an hour or two, I have to say it can be really satisfying when you get 3 kills in a row with a bolt action rifle, especially against people using spray guns. It just doesn't make up for the terrible controls and everybody else on the server using assault guns that didn't exist yet and spray guns though. This game is basically just CoD 1 but with better graphics and worse controls.

Old school cod was ace!

I was a proper camper on that, kar 98 one shot one kill!

Dayve

So was I. I got so good with it that eventually even in close confines of a small room I could defeat someone with an SMG more than 50% of the time, even if they started spraying before I had a chance to aim. I also turned off the crosshair and made a point of not firing unless I was aiming down the sights. I remember sitting in a room on that map with the burnt out church with a good view of the street, and one by one came the Allies and one by one I shot them, 1 hit kill, about 15 in a row before a cooked grenade got me, exploded before I had a chance to react.

You know why I can't do that on RO2? Because the movement is not smooth, it's completely stiff. Also because everybody in the map is camping, even the people with assault rifles and SMG's who SHOULD be assaulting the flags, not camping waiting for someone to run in to their field of fire. Instead the capping of flags is left to me with my Kar98, which sometimes I can pull off but most of the time I can't, but when you do, ducking and diving from one bunch of rubble to the next, moving through a sewer instead of above ground and getting to the enemy flag unmolested, it's very very satisfying, especially if someone like you sees that you are trying to play the game as it was intended and follows you.

It just doesn't happen enough though. Maybe I need to find friends to play with and use the headset I bought with my new PC in August.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
It just doesn't happen enough though. Maybe I need to find friends to play with and use the headset I bought with my new PC in August.

I'd join ya if I had the game dude, maybe will pick it up when it gets cheaper. I'm not thinking much to bf3 beta, (i kno a beta, but alpha was miles better)

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
Sounds to me Dayve that you want a game where we run around beating people to death with shovels and where people kill each other over who gets to use a full auto weapon. The reality of it all is that if that WAS the game nobody would play it...

I certainly dont want to run around with a shovel killing people, I want to a play a WWII game thats fun. You may not like the game and you may feel you have wasted good money on it but others enjoy the game

If its not your cup of tea then dont play it, Thats the simplest answer.

Dayve

I'm playing it and enjoying it, more so now I've got used to the attrocious control scheme and realised that using cover (by actually pressing ctrl to take cover) is utterly pointless, and I'm killing people with my bolt action rifle, but there are still massive problems with this game if they really want to be able to call it realistic.

#1 the semi automatic rifles used by the elite rifleman class simply did not exist at Stalingrad
#2 the assault rifle used by the Axis team simply did not exist at Stalingrad
#3 too many smg's allowed per team

The first two are game killers for me, and if they're not fixed by the time BF3 comes out this game is going on the shelf of massive letdowns next to Metro 2033. #3 I would like to see fixed, but I could live with it if it wasn't.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
#1 the semi automatic rifles used by the elite rifleman class simply did not exist at Stalingrad
#2 the assault rifle used by the Axis team simply did not exist at Stalingrad
#3 too many smg's allowed per team

The first two are game killers for me, and if they're not fixed by the time BF3 comes out this game is going on the shelf of massive letdowns next to Metro 2033. #3 I would like to see fixed, but I could live with it if it wasn't.

Number 3 might get fixed. but 1 and 2 wont! I totally agree with all three points though. how can they say its a realistic game? Weapons used in the game where not at the time?

NilSatis

Bright Spark
lol click Its not an Stg 44. Its an Mkb 42. The prototype to the STg 44. :turned: Apparently.......
The other gun is most definitely authentic and is a Gewehr 41. This was superceded by the Gewehr 43 (numbers are for release years) and was also most definitely used in the Eastern front. So they did at least get these two things right. Sorry!

I agree with you that this game has bugs 'a plenty. They are working on solving them but for there to be so many is pretty bad. I really enjoy the game though; despite its flaws. I wont defend them for releasing it in its buggy state at all; I completely agree with you there. Hopefully patched which are being rerolled out to the beta version are going to be applied correctly to the release version and actually solve a few things. I dont find the number of sub machine guns a problem. There really arent many allowed on each team in most maps. I enjoy cutting them down with bolt actions; and they are actually more of a challenge to use in some maps where close quarter fighting doesnt happen.

I guess we should be happy it performs ok on our systems, as a lot of people cant get it to perform well on ultra settings at all. I get average 60-70 fps. Dont know why it runs so well for me. I always turned off one frame thread lag, and framerate smoothing in the graphics options. I also disable the steam overlay while i play. Doesnt seem to do anything but it runs great for me.

Tom; I wouldnt call this game pants at all mate; dont write it off. I think you would like it, and if you get a good deal on it provides a refreshing alternative to most online shooters. Im glad i bought it, and it will only get better with patches and mods especially. More maps would be good, and there are already major expansions in the pipeline. :)

Last edited:

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
Aye, Im looking forward to the Rising Sun expansion... Bets on who can guess what theatre it will be in lol

Dayve

lol click Its not an Stg 44. Its an Mkb 42. The prototype to the STg 44. :turned: Apparently.......
The other gun is most definitely authentic and is a Gewehr 41. This was superceded by the Gewehr 43 (numbers are for release years) and was also most definitely used in the Eastern front. So they did at least get these two things right. Sorry!

I agree with you that this game has bugs 'a plenty. They are working on solving them but for there to be so many is pretty bad. I really enjoy the game though; despite its flaws. I wont defend them for releasing it in its buggy state at all; I completely agree with you there. Hopefully patched which are being rerolled out to the beta version are going to be applied correctly to the release version and actually solve a few things. I dont find the number of sub machine guns a problem. There really arent many allowed on each team in most maps. I enjoy cutting them down with bolt actions; and they are actually more of a challenge to use in some maps where close quarter fighting doesnt happen.

I guess we should be happy it performs ok on our systems, as a lot of people cant get it to perform well on ultra settings at all. I get average 60-70 fps. Dont know why it runs so well for me. I always turned off one frame thread lag, and framerate smoothing in the graphics options. I also disable the steam overlay while i play. Doesnt seem to do anything but it runs great for me.

Tom; I wouldnt call this game pants at all mate; dont write it off. I think you would like it, and if you get a good deal on it provides a refreshing alternative to most online shooters. Im glad i bought it, and it will only get better with patches and mods especially. More maps would be good, and there are already major expansions in the pipeline. :)

Yeah, Mkb and Gewehr 41. Mkb was a prototype of StG44, yeah, not even in mass production yet, just a prototype. In the battle of Stalingrad the Germans were still winning the war and Hitler allowed little funding for new weapons that, at the time, he thought they simply didn't need. Even in 1944 they had to lie to Hitler to get him to sign off on the production of the awesome StG44, by telling him it was a machine pistol and not an assault rifle, and even when it went in to mass production its number was relatively tiny. So you see, while the Mkb might have been used on the eastern front, it would have been merely a handful of them and at best should be restricted to 1 per server, and even that's being generous.

As for the Gewehr 41, it was as buggy as this game is, and again was a prototype. The vast majority of small arms ammunition all through the war was for the Karabiner, Schmeiser and heavy machine gun (MG34 and to a lesser extent MG42). Karabiner, Schmeiser and MG34 should be the main weapons of the Germans in RO2, as these were the overwhelming majority of weapons used by infantry, grenadiers and elite named regiments. You could fight at the front for weeks in late 1942 and early 1943 and never see a Gewehr 41 or an Mkb.

Instead 50% of the Axis team are sporting Mkb's and Gewehr 41's. The smaller the server, the more of a problem it is. On a 64 man server, if you can put up with the lag (which is bad even with a ping of 50) then it's not quite as bad, because out of 32 people on each team 20 will be stuck with the rifle, which is realistic.

Also I will say that now I'm properly used to the way things work this game is fantastic, despite the unrealistic weapons and overwhelming advantage the Axis team has.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Massive performance update patch today; 3.3 gb. Also stat reset will be done later so that stats/unlockables/achievements are not bugged. Finally! Game plays so much better with the performance update; even though mine worked great before, it seems even better now. Various other bugs have also been squished. Expect stats reset to be live this evening or tomorrow morning. :) They will be reset for everybody, so we all start as level 1 raw recruits etc again.

Dayve

Massive performance update patch today; 3.3 gb. Also stat reset will be done later so that stats/unlockables/achievements are not bugged. Finally! Game plays so much better with the performance update; even though mine worked great before, it seems even better now. Various other bugs have also been squished. Expect stats reset to be live this evening or tomorrow morning. :) They will be reset for everybody, so we all start as level 1 raw recruits etc again.

Stat reset didn't work, people still running around at level 99 or whatever the top level is. The amount of assault rifles, SMG's and semi-automatic weapons hasn't changed yet, it's still like a Vietnam war game but with WW2 skins in that respect, but the performance did increase a lot.

I still uninstalled on the same day as the update though. I wanted a realistic WW2 game, I got CoD except I die in one hit. Altogether, I've had about 2 days worth of fun, the rest has been completely frustrating. Possibly one of the worst games I've ever bought.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
They should have never had to do the stats reset. They messed up bigtime. With that said, my stas and achievements have been reset and are working ok. They will be rolling the stat reset out across all users as quickly as they can, but it is apparently not an easy process to do everyones at the same time. Im not defending them, but at least give them a chance to get it right, and then see what you think.

If the machine guns etc have ruined your fun then i would question what exactly you want to get out of the game...it is just a game! I am not disagreeing with you that there are still a load of those classes, but you make it sound like they all have an advantage over you. Yes the stg 44s or erm mkbs as they like to call them will have an advantage as you can basically go single shot or fully automatic on these, but the sub machine guns, and the larger deployable machine guns have all got many disadvantages. Once you have played for a while, you learn how to deal with those. It is nothing like COD Dayve. I think you have missed many aspects of it, if you think it is; again I am not its biggest fan, but I think you are just wrong here.

It performs great now, and they are fixing the bugs and people still arent happy; if this is possibly one of the worst games you have bought then I am very surprised; in single player....it is bad; in multiplayer it is a great game. Anyway each to his own. I have managed many days of fun on it, the smoke effects and the tension of pushing through points etc and the detailed map design alone make it a very enjoyable game. There are still issues with tanks and ai tank commanders and machine gunners, so I play on servers that have taken the tanks out. There is going to be free dlc of various sorts coming out soon and it will get better all the time. They should never have released it in the state it was in, but now it is a great game for people who want a realistic ww2 shooter.

Also I will say that now I'm properly used to the way things work this game is fantastic, despite the unrealistic weapons and overwhelming advantage the Axis team has.

What happened to that? There have been balances in maps to stop the axis team having such an advantage (even though in some respects they would have tbh) and I do wonder how the weapons are unrealistic?! Anyway, maybe leave it uninstalled and come back to it later. :)

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
I think Dayve is one of these gamers that can never make it his mind up... One minute he loves a game, then he hates it, then he loves it, then he hates it... Reminds me of my ex-girlfriend[rollinglaugh]

Dayve

I believe my last post covered it. I had about 2 days of fun, despite the unrealistic nature of the game, the advantage the axis team has, the bugs and so forth. The rest was frustration. When I got better and was able to kill people with my weapon of choice (bolt action rifle) I started to have fun, but then the SMG/MG/semi-auto users also got better, which make up over half of each team, so it just evened itself out again and went back to being unbalanced and unfair.

Not to worry, It's uninstalled now and on my **** shelf next to Metro 2033 and the other major letdowns. BF3 here I come... to wallow in thine sweet arcade-ish, fun and very, very well balanced gameplay.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
So i bought it in the steam sale last week, installed and played today.

At first it felt good, the little tutorial plays quite well.

So went for the single player, lol its just the online maps but with computer bots.

lol the online is a joke. omg so bad.

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
I dont think the game was ever designed to be a single player game, The first RO was only online multiplayer and at least they took a stab at it rather that not attempt at all... They arent this huge company like EA or Bethesda who can invest millions into a game, Tripwire are a small company that made a game from the unreal engine and they used that money and the money from their first game to make a sequel

I just wish people would give them a break, I mean at least they are trying right? There are plenty of other **** games out there from bigger name companies but because its from a brand name studio everyone rolls out the red carpet and gives it nothing but praise

All I can say is give it time and maybe their next game will be better, If you dont like the game then thats fine... stop going on about it because you are starting to sound like those kids on youtube who go on music vids and troll

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I just wish people would give them a break, I mean at least they are trying right? There are plenty of other **** games out there from bigger name companies but because its from a brand name studio everyone rolls out the red carpet and gives it nothing but praise

Cough* COD