Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

Barnaby89

Graphics were certainly a let down, but I've only heard positive things to come out of the beta by the majority.

Gameplay looks pretty solid at least. Still looking forward to it :)

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
There is no penalty for camping in RO2 sadly & If I'm totally honest yes it does happen... But as Dayve stated, it will always happen and I have seen it happen in the beta but its very rare that it does

Dayve

I don't know of any game that does this??? lol

Neither do I. That's the point.

Battlefield 2 dealt with campers pretty well. The enemy commander could point you out to the entire team. Team members could spot them, revealing them to the entire team. And, if the enemy commander had any amount of wits about him or her and the camper was causing your team much trouble at all, you could drop a supply crate on his head, or some artillery.

Also the maps were huge so camping wasn't AS viable a strategy as it is in other games.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'm going to have to find some footage of the game when I get home. Hope a demo gets realised or something, or maybe a trial of the online play.

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
There are commanders in RO2 also, You can call in a recon plane which spots all enemies on the map.. Just tell your team mates to push down the T button and presto you can see all enemies for a short time

The only downside to RO2 is that if you want to call artillery you can do it from the radio/map.. well you can, you just need to find the spot with your binoc's first mark the location with smoke and then the arty can be fired

tom_gr7

Life Serving
The only downside to RO2 is that if you want to call artillery you can do it from the radio/map.. well you can, you just need to find the spot with your binoc's first mark the location with smoke and then the arty can be fired

Sounds good though dude, that's how soldiers would have used artillery.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
I have preloaded and am waiting eagerly!!! :) (Or preparing to get rifled, fragged, mortared, sniped, machine gunned; not to mention tanked.)

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Urgh I thought nearly 8gb was enough but yeh; soon as I read your post put it back on steam and yep downloading a 2.5gb patch. Dont mind this if it gets any major issues out of the way before i play; may have to get some more beers though. Not a good thing on a weeknight. :shifty:

NilSatis

Bright Spark
May have to get a whole bar full of beers with how slow this is downloading; although with all the prepurchases it is to be expected i suppose. I normally get 2.3 mb/s without fail on steam. Am getting 150kb/s on this........dohhhhhhhhh!
Ok switched steam to download from a couple of different uk servers and no dice. Changed to US Boston server...and bam 2.3mb/s again. Nice.
Oh fug it. Now its not going to be released for hours. :( At least i had most of the beer already.

Last edited:

Barnaby89

Sorry went to cook dinner, meant to mention...switch to Malaysia as UK download locations are limiting people....down to 20kb/s for me!

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
My steam hated me last night, I pre-loaded then I had two 2.5 GB patches followed the full game install -.- Finally got on @ about midnight and so far I've been up all night killing Russians and Germans alike

UndeadJack

Master Poster
I love WWII games. I am a history nerd :p Currently doing about Nazi Germany and the Cold War for GCSE. I actually got told off for reading a textbook yesterday xD Can't wait to get a good computer to play this!

Dayve

I'm tempted also. How many snipers are allowed per team? Snipers ruin games for me. I don't just mean they make me slightly angry, I mean they actually ruin games for me. Yes I know Stalingrad was a big sniper fest but the game shouldn't be.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
If you like very realistic ww2 era games then it is great. There are still a few issues. It had a terrible release; server browser crashes etc. and there are still a few things......but there is definitely a good game there. Single player is terrible. It is basically just a way to understand what you are doing with the game for multiplayer. Bots are brain dead. As a multiplayer game it is a pretty satisfying game. You need a good connection; then there are plenty of servers in Europe to choose from. Not so many maps but the maps are pretty big and because of the pace of the game hard to get bored with. The maps are actually very good. It is a tough game. Expect to die a hell of a lot at first; and you need to be good at ready danger areas; making use of cover is a must; ensuring you know the weapon you are using etc. and remembering to bolt your rifle before shooting; let alone reloading.

It performs great for me now; but there are a lot of people who say that it doesnt run well on their system. It is an unreal engine based game and is optimised pretty poorly. It is a great looking game on ultra settings and has atmosphere in abundance if you are into that sort of thing. It is nothing like most other shooters, pretty important to try and stay alive rather than going on mad runs into danger areas, but once you get the hang of it, it is a great game. There are problems for some people with the game recording stats. but it is fine for me. As for performance, I get average 60fps on most maps on multiplayer on ultra settings; but there are a few tips I can give you to make the game run this well. The highest setting of antialiasing gives a few problems in performance; but the second level down looks just as good. All other things can be set in game and there is an easy file to change in the config if these things dont make the game run ok for you.

Basically it is not a game for the faint-hearted or easily frustrated. There are many times you will die and not realise what you did wrong but i am slowly getting better. A few of the things such as tanks etc. are a bit poorly executed; as is some of the hit detection on higher ping servers; but you cant fault the realism in most aspects; and it is easy enough to have fun. On lower ping servers it is great. Having said that.... online is leaps ahead of something like Arma2 in terms of hit detection; and no rubber banding etc occurs unless a really high ping player is on a server. I would say go for it. The game is not without its problems but if you are considering it be aware that they have patched it a few times already and are continuing to improve it all the time. The weapons are great to use and the online action is good. I would give it 3/10 for single player and 8.5/10 for multiplayer. :)

NilSatis

Bright Spark
There are only 2 or so "snipers" in that they can use the scoped weapons per team per game. This doesnt stop people including you able to rifle someone with a bolt action from 150 metres or so away in game. This is one of the great aspects of it. Realism servers dont include a kill cam, so you can be killed and then wonder why; and how. There are other servers that include a kill cam but expect people to realise that and to move and flank where you are going to anticipate them to be next time around. It oozes realism, depends whether you want a fast paced arcade game or not. If not, then the best ww2 shooter out there on that front. :) You can shoot infantry with an anti-tank rifle too and watch the giblets fly. Great stuff. It is also not a good game for campers, kill someone most of the time and you will want to move, or certainly know you need to move soon. The fact that most people play territory mode means that moving is a must...similar to battlefields system of capturing an area (but that is the only thing that is similar lol)