Saved Myself From a Costly Mistake!

slimbob

Enthusiast
Sorry no experience with Seagate my internal HDD is a WD Raptor which is 7+ years old and still going strong. Also my external portable HDD's are WD Elements and again no problems over the last 8 years but I sell and buy new every 4 years. hopefully someone with experience with both Seagate and WD or other brands like Toshiba can help.

kam67

Enthusiast
Sorry no experience with Seagate my internal HDD is a WD Raptor which is 7+ years old and still going strong. Also my external portable HDD's are WD Elements and again no problems over the last 8 years but I sell and buy new every 4 years. hopefully someone with experience with both Seagate and WD or other brands like Toshiba can help.

Thank you for sharing your favourable experience with WD, Slimbob!
Again, tallies with my experience and research - indicating that WD make superior storage devices.

kam67

Enthusiast
I would say bear in mind that a SATA drive in your system is not going to be doing anywhere near the work your WD did (assuming your WD was a SATA and was also an operating system drive)....any SATA, or SSD for that matter, in your system would be for storage as the OS would be on your m2 drive. And assuming this is for a storage drive, there's no reason you can't leave it off your build and source your own and install it
Yes have decided to stick with the Samsung 980 Evo plus as my m.2 PCIe and use Samsun 860 Evo as a secondary drive and do away with the Seagate HD.

Addendum: I’ve checked several other quality custom pc builders (eg Scan, Chillblast, Cyberpower UK) and all of them are using Seagate and none WD. Maybe supply issues?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes have decided to stick with the Samsung 980 Evo plus as my m.2 PCIe and use Samsun 860 Evo as a secondary drive and do away with the Seagate HD.

Addendum: I’ve checked several other quality custom pc builders (eg Scan, Chillblast, Cyberpower UK) and all of them are using Seagate and none WD. Maybe supply issues?
@kam67 You're really doing yourself no favours.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Seagate drives.

You have had some really good advice on your build but you seem incapable of accepting and sticking with a builld for longer than a day.

Rather than just making changes on a whim, get advice before doing so.

But you've been well advised already, there's nothing you need to change on your build. The changes you're making are actually reducing the performance of an otherwise strong build.

Last edited:

slimbob

Enthusiast
Oh my...Bob's post made me realise just how thick I was being...for some reason my brain was under the impression that WD drives WERE Seagate drives :rolleyes:

Ha! I am sure you have forgotten more than I know about P.C's, Check out my previous threads! So if you think your are thick God knows what I am.:LOL:
This forum is such a great place to learn for people like me.
Best wishes.
Bob.

slimbob

Enthusiast
KAM67 I totally get it, When it is time to invest in a new P.C it is really exciting but also scary because you want to make sure you get the best P.C for your money and your needs. I was the same my friend!! But honestly I have read through this thread and the advice you have got from Spyder and Scott is so valuable and I see you have changed your build many times but have taken their advice. This is very wise as they are both so passionate and knowledgeable about the subject mater and real enthusiasts. So with regards your Seagate / WD dilemma if the recommended build contains a Seagate drive I would go with it. Scott and Spyder would not recommend a build including all the separate components unless they wholeheartedly believed in it.

I would order what they have recommended and sit back and relax til it arrives then enjoy!!! :)

Plus your build sounds so damn good I am most jealous in a nice way of course.
Best wishes.

kam67

Enthusiast
Very true, Scott - I’m afraid I’m a bit OCD 🥴! My doctor said something very similar: “If you look for problems, eventually you’ll unearth something!” :ROFLMAO: ( Mind you experience has conditioned me to be over-vigilant.... Especially when it comes to the wonderful world of High Tech...)

kam67

Enthusiast
KAM67 I totally get it, When it is time to invest in a new P.C it is really exciting but also scary because you want to make sure you get the best P.C for your money and your needs. I was the same my friend!! But honestly I have read through this thread and the advice you have got from Spyder and Scott is so valuable and I see you have changed your build many times but have taken their advice. This is very wise as they are both so passionate and knowledgeable about the subject mater and real enthusiasts. So with regards your Seagate / WD dilemma if the recommended build contains a Seagate drive I would go with it. Scott and Spyder would not recommend a build including all the separate components unless they wholeheartedly believed in it.

I would order what they have recommended and sit back and relax til it arrives then enjoy!!! :)

Plus your build sounds so damn good I am most jealous in a nice way of course.
Best wishes.

Thanks for being able to relate, Bob 🙂. I’ve followed their advice generally but - being very cautious by nature - not before umming and ahing a fair bit. I sense their patience wearing thin 😬🙈

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for being able to relate, Bob [emoji846]. I’ve followed their advice generally but - being very cautious by nature - not before umming and ahing a fair bit. I sense their patience wearing thin [emoji51][emoji85]
The thing is, no matter how much research you do, the day after you take delivery there will be some new product announced that you wish you'd included.

My current PC (from PCS of course) was the very best I could get for the money at the time, but only a few months later I'd have bought something else entirely.

At some point you have to press the go button and accept that from that moment on any new hardware developments will have to wait for next time. [emoji846]

Via Tapatalk