Saved Myself From a Costly Mistake!

kam67

Enthusiast
As the saying goes, 'for to travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive, and the true success is to labour'. Or words to that effect...
Excellent! That’s a far better overall build, will last a lot longer and be a better experience!
Thanks SpyderTracks ! Even though you seemed a bit tough on me at times, I know it’s because your heart is in the right place: you are passionate about getting people the best kit possible🙂👍

Last edited:

kam67

Enthusiast
Well, ultimately, you have taken all the advice on board and will now be getting an excellent system that will serve you well....better to go through all of that before buying than buy something that you aren't 100% happy with. As for it being a "long and boring drama"...I gotta say...it was far from boring! Besides, we all need a little drama every now and again...keeps us on our toes ;)
Glad that I’ve kept you engaged and wanting to read on - I have to say it was a ‘real cliffhanger’!
Let’s hope the rest of the saga will be considerably more straightforward. 😂

Last edited:

kam67

Enthusiast
Well, ultimately, you have taken all the advice on board and will now be getting an excellent system that will serve you well....better to go through all of that before buying than buy something that you aren't 100% happy with. As for it being a "long and boring drama"...I gotta say...it was far from boring! Besides, we all need a little drama every now and again...keeps us on our toes ;)
You are absolutely right Nursemorph - what do they say? “act in haste, repent at leisure” I didn’t care that I had to return to the back of the queue. It’s too substantial and important investment to get wrong.

Last edited:

kam67

Enthusiast
Okay here we go again :rolleyes::have been trawling a few forums and a possible pattern is emerging with people having boot problems (black screen etc.) with Ryzen CPUS . Is this an issue? A number of people have found it related to out of date bios or ram problems. Anyone able to shed light on this? Will PCS ship boards with the latest bios installed? Someone please put me out of my misery :cry:!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Okay here we go again :rolleyes::have been trawling a few forums and a possible pattern is emerging with people having boot problems (black screen etc.) with Ryzen CPUS . Is this an issue? A number of people have found it related to out of date bios or ram problems. Anyone able to shed light on this? Will PCS ship boards with the latest bios installed? Someone please put me out of my misery :cry:!
Thats people putting in Ryzen 3000 CPU’s on old B450’s with out of date BIOS. It’s not a factor, that’s just people not knowing what they’re doing.

Just sit back, you’ve got a really good system now that you’ve taken advice. It will all be fully updated and ready to go when you receive it.

kam67

Enthusiast
Thanks Spyder :) ! (Was hoping it would be something like that e.g. out of date equipment and/or bios).
On a side note, do PCS or the board manufacturers (Asus in my case) ship boards with the latest bios installed?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks Spyder :) ! (Was hoping it would be something like that e.g. out of date equipment and/or bios).
On a side note, do PCS or the board manufacturers (Asus in my case) ship boards with the latest bios installed?
PCS will update the BIOS to the latest version during building.

That issue isn’t relevant to you anyway as you’re on X570

kam67

Enthusiast
Ok that's good to know!

P.S. At the risk of sounding pompous, you are to be commended on your tireless work on these forums - it is way above and beyond the call of duty!

Last edited:

keithbeaks

Enthusiast
Have to say this is a really good forum. People are extremely patient, knowledgeable and helpful!

Fair play to the OP as well for listening and not being stubborn! And it was entertaining lol

kam67

Enthusiast
Have to say this is a really good forum. People are extremely patient, knowledgeable and helpful!

Fair play to the OP as well for listening and not being stubborn! And it was entertaining lol
Thanks, Keith - although it was more uncertainty and anxiety rather than stubbornness or arrogance. That’s why too much knowledge, or rather, half-knowledge, often based on questionable sources (!) is not always a good thing. I think this particularly applies to the field of custom built PCs where there are so many complex variables, both objective and subjective. Not to mention that, in this specific case, it entailed leaving a platform I’d used for decades (Intel) for one I’d had no previous experience of (Amd). But what’s the famous motto? ‘He who dares wins’!

p.s. it was an added bonus that the thread provided much needed light relief 😆

Last edited:

kam67

Enthusiast
Here we go again 🤓! I was wondering if the
1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
might be a better choice than 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W) ? I’m as much concerned with reliability and longevity as speed. The Firecuda 520 is so new that there are hardly any user reviews while the Samsung Evo Plus has a very positive response from loads of reviewers.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
In the spec you posted it had the firecuda? Did you change it again? The Firecuda would be the best drive for gaming.

You really need to stop changing the build, it's not necessary and it's not very fair on PCS.

kam67

Enthusiast
Ok fair point... I had previously been told by one of their reps that they are used to it and it doesn't inconvenience them as it’s days (if not weeks!) from actually being built.
Also Spyder if you glance further up the thread I’m actually sticking with my first choice for the m.2 PCIe SSD (Samsung Evo Plus)

Last edited:

kam67

Enthusiast
Hi

I realise I’ve got a thread already going but this is a more specific query pertaining to Seagate SSDs and HDs. Would really welcome some feedback regarding how good/reliable they are. I’ve come across a lot of negative user reviews on Amazon and various forums.
The most comment complaints are early failure rate.
My previous PCS Desktop has a WD Black drive which has run 8 years without a hiccup and WD seem to have had an excellent long standing reputation - shame that they are no longer offered as an option by PCS.

Last edited: