Serious LMG bash

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just watching this through now.

I was aware of Hardware Unboxed having posted a sarcy post on Twitter to LMG for something, but didn't invest any time into finding out what that was about.

But I trust Steve implicitly, Steve is totally objective where possible, when he says "we leave out personal feelings" I know that to be true over the last 9 years or something of me watching him. LMG, where I do respect them, I would take Steve's word over theirs. They have a lot more "political" or investor relationships where they have to meet agreements, that's just a fact, and certainly over the last few years there have been a lot more moments where I've questioned "shilly" attitudes. I've always given Linus the benefit of the doubt, but with this, I'm not so sure I can.

Steve wouldn't have called them out in this way unless he absolutely felt he had to. And HUB, while being far more opinionated (you should see them on twitter, it's hysterical), they are extremely dilligent in their testing scenarios.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Just watching this through now.

I was aware of Hardware Unboxed having posted a sarcy post on Twitter to LMG for something, but didn't invest any time into finding out what that was about.

But I trust Steve implicitly, Steve is totally objective where possible, when he says "we leave out personal feelings" I know that to be true over the last 9 years or something of me watching him. LMG, where I do respect them, I would take Steve's word over theirs. They have a lot more "political" or investor relationships where they have to meet agreements, that's just a fact, and certainly over the last few years there have been a lot more moments where I've questioned "shilly" attitudes. I've always given Linus the benefit of the doubt, but with this, I'm not so sure I can.

Steve wouldn't have called them out in this way unless he absolutely felt he had to. And HUB, while being far more opinionated (you should see them on twitter, it's hysterical), they are extremely dilligent in their testing scenarios.

interesting video, be interesting to see if and when LTT responds to these points, i always take note of the response as that tells you a lot about said company.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I've said it about the coolers for years, it really stuck out for me as my real world experience totally contradicts the results they publish. I didn't actually realise just how in the pocket they were, but I knew there were ties somewhere.

It makes no odds to me really as I only ever watched the LTT stuff for interest and fun, I took absolutely everything they say with a pinch of salt. J2C is in the same bracket for me as well.

The Asus ties were interesting.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
I've said it about the coolers for years, it really stuck out for me as my real world experience totally contradicts the results they publish. I didn't actually realise just how in the pocket they were, but I knew there were ties somewhere.

It makes no odds to me really as I only ever watched the LTT stuff for interest and fun, I took absolutely everything they say with a pinch of salt. J2C is in the same bracket for me as well.

The Asus ties were interesting.

ltt always came across to me as a tech channel aimed at newbies rather than say a gamers nexus, if your targeting a less tech savey audience then most of them are none the wiser if say data is not accurate.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
ltt always came across to me as a tech channel aimed at newbies rather than say a gamers nexus, if your targeting a less tech savey audience then most of them are none the wiser if say data is not accurate.

Indeed, but as pointed out by GN..... misinformation is dangerous, regardless of level. People are people regardless of how green they are to any particular subject. When the audience is in the millions, you have millions of people using blind faith to argue against anyone using reason...... sound familiar?

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah LTT has always been for pure entertainment for me I never take anything they say seriously

Now what they've done to Billet Labs is exceptionally scummy, that really surprised me asking for a prototype back 3 times being told it's been shipped back to them twice and then publicly auctioning off their "best" prototype is just so unbelievably malicious

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Linus has posted a response on the LMG forums

linus-response-v0-dh24b8ss85ib1.jpg

Source: https://linustechtips.com/topic/152...nd-integrity/?do=findComment&comment=16078641

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It's a good response from Linus to be fair. It shows him to be what I believe we all think he is, a guy that loves the geeky side of tech. The issues are deeper rooted IMO though, the omission from the Asus & Noctua comments for example.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That's an awful lot of words to say very little to be honest, doubling down on the Billet Labs thing was an approach. Not a very smart or ethical approach but it certainly is one

I get Linus is a public face of a company but let's not get it twisted here LTT is a multiMILLION dollar company he still talks like it's him and two buddies working from his garage but it's distinctly not that. He has massive reach and influence and he owes the products he "reviews" the bare minimum of respect and diligence

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That's an awful lot of words to say very little to be honest, doubling down on the Billet Labs thing was an approach. Not a very smart or ethical approach but it certainly is one

I get Linus is a public face of a company but let's not get it twisted here LTT is a multiMILLION dollar company he still talks like it's him and two buddies working from his garage but it's distinctly not that. He has massive reach and influence and he owes the products he "reviews" the bare minimum of respect and diligence

I think that's the big contrast for me also. I see that response as being from the guy with 2 mates in his garage, that's just him though, and not the company that he is speaking for.

The way he has tripled (now) down is suggesting that LTT have never reviewed, and would never review, an exuberant product positively.

I see his response as being good from a personal level, but as you point out... from the face of a company, it's unprofessional and skirting. But how is this response supposed to be viewed/taken?

It IS good to be having the discussion though, I would be surprised if people didn't see GNs opinion on that being correct.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I see his response as being good from a personal level, but as you point out... from the face of a company, it's unprofessional and skirting. But how is this response supposed to be viewed/taken?
How I view this is pretty transparent, Linus cannot take criticism in any form and reverts to deflection, playing the victim or denial. His ego won't allow him to be wrong even though GN gave very clear examples but you'll notice how he didn't address any of the very specific examples of them clearly being the wrong but decided to go the woe is me angle. It's almost text book corpo deflection to be honest

Lines like "To my Team (and my CEO's team, but realistically I was at the helm for all these errors, so I need to own it)" sets the tone for the entire wall of deflection

I'm taking responsibility but I'm actually not it's the CEO's fault but technically I'm the head so I'll say it's my responsibility and hope people feel bad for me and deflect.

"Going through growing pains" Oh **** off mate you've been around since like 2007/2008 you know the craic.

The entire thing is double speak sentences which amount to I accept the fault but not really, while addressing nothing specific or being as vague as possible. It's textbook

Reactions: QH7

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I more meant, what is his expectation of how his response would be taken, rather than directly asking yourself. But I agree with your view :)

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I more meant, what is his expectation of how his response would be taken, rather than directly asking yourself. But I agree with your view :)
I honestly think he knows how it'll be taken because he posted on his small private forum as opposed to responding in a video. Also specifically mentioning not addressing it on WAN shows tells me he knows it's a really bad look

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I honestly think he knows how it'll be taken because he posted on his small private forum as opposed to responding in a video. Also specifically mentioning not addressing it on WAN shows tells me he knows it's a really bad look
This is very true, he should be making a public video about it and responding to each point, not posting on their own company forum.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The HUB video is (inevitably) a more restrained look at all of this, and (inevitably) doesn't quite go for GN's all-out style. (Which is GN's schtick, of course, and their USP for those who find outrage the way to engage with the world.)

Status
Not open for further replies.