Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
I choose to believe its something far more sinister

traigo_paz

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
came across this that was linked from the LTT forum by a poster, there is some conjecture whether linus meant this as a joke rather than a stipulation, the poster on the reddit forum said they included an image of the LTT handbook to prove the case, another poster said as its in Canada this is above board, interesting read anyway.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Fully agree, I don't think he's done himself any favours at all.

didnt linus hire a new CEO a few months ago, and he was also talking about how he could have sold LTT for 100 mill,

if this becomes damaging for LTT, who takes the wrap, him or the new CEO?

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I do think this is overblown. Obviously LTT has been quite sloppy recently, lots of mistakes that they wouldn't want to make. Some processes are clearly not right -- and in a big organisation processes are everything. It's not a five man team like GN or HUB are. That needs resolving, but it isn't evil.

And the things that people think are evil are mistakes: incompetence not malice. Again, that's a problem that needs sorting, especially when they have clearly had significant impact on others.

But the torches and pitchfork internet brigade is terribly primary school behaviour. And GN profit from the outrage machine: it's their modus operandi, and to a certain type of internet person it seems like the best thing in the world. But it's not the whole truth.

And I can understand why Linus himself feels hurt by it. Sure, GN say "we're not friends, we're journalists", but that isn't how they've operated for years. It feels personal, whether or not that's justified.

So I hope LTT gets better. I think they will: they've been talking about a lot of the things that they need to do already. I think they'll get it right. But I'm already bored of the internet outrage machine!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I do think this is overblown. Obviously LTT has been quite sloppy recently, lots of mistakes that they wouldn't want to make. Some processes are clearly not right -- and in a big organisation processes are everything. It's not a five man team like GN or HUB are. That needs resolving, but it isn't evil.

And the things that people think are evil are mistakes: incompetence not malice. Again, that's a problem that needs sorting, especially when they have clearly had significant impact on others.

But the torches and pitchfork internet brigade is terribly primary school behaviour. And GN profit from the outrage machine: it's their modus operandi, and to a certain type of internet person it seems like the best thing in the world. But it's not the whole truth.

And I can understand why Linus himself feels hurt by it. Sure, GN say "we're not friends, we're journalists", but that isn't how they've operated for years. It feels personal, whether or not that's justified.

So I hope LTT gets better. I think they will: they've been talking about a lot of the things that they need to do already. I think they'll get it right. But I'm already bored of the internet outrage machine!
I think you may have missed out on the several very personal digs on public videos from various members of LMG including Linus at both HUB and GN that triggered this in the first place? I think the point is that they were the ones to not be professional and approach HUB and GN with their issues privately before going public with quite snidey comments that brought into question their testing methodologies (but without any specifics).

But I do also think there's more going on here that the public are aware of, I have a feeling there has been some private communication between Linus and Steve that may go deeper. I'd agree that Steve does seem more annoyed than I've ever seen him on stream, and the comment he references as being targetted at him could easily have been HUB (or even someone else), so there must be a reason why Steve took that so personally.

Actually though, thinking further on it, perhaps Linus was referencing a mistake that they'd picked up on a video Steve had done but didn't choose to publicise the specifics.

I don't know, I know less and less about daily life each day. I think too much and drink too much caffeine, and sleep is an eternal battle. Oh if I could just shut off my mind one day!

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I think you may have missed out on the several very personal digs on public videos from various members of LMG including Linus at both HUB and GN that triggered this in the first place? I think the point is that they were the ones to not be professional and approach HUB and GN with their issues privately before going public with quite snidey comments that brought into question their testing methodologies (but without any specifics).

But I do also think there's more going on here that the public are aware of, I have a feeling there has been some private communication between Linus and Steve that may go deeper. I'd agree that Steve does seem more annoyed than I've ever seen him on stream, and the comment he references as being targetted at him could easily have been HUB (or even someone else), so there must be a reason why Steve took that so personally.

Actually though, thinking further on it, perhaps Linus was referencing a mistake that they'd picked up on a video Steve had done but didn't choose to publicise the specifics.

I don't know, I know less and less about daily life each day. I think too much and drink too much caffeine, and sleep is an eternal battle. Oh if I could just shut off my mind one day!
No, I'm aware of it, but I think it's all clumsy rather than malicious. Something that needs dealing with, but the level of furore (most of which is from people on the internet, not GN) is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.