Spyder’s Vinyl Showcase (With Added Toe)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oooo, fingers crossed will only take a couple of weeks to arrive, v excited.

2022-01-26 20_30_54-Inbox - spydertracks@googlemail.com - Outlook.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just arrived today off a lucky order off his Discogs, only 350 released back in October which I missed, I happened to check back recently and he must have had a few returned as there were a few available.

M.I.K.E Push - FSOE Collected Works Volume I

For those of you who may not know, Mike Push is a bit of a trance legend, he was behind "The Legacy" back in 2001 and "Please Save Me" with Sunscreem just before, there was a period where it was just hit after hit

He went a bit harder later on, but this is a collection of his stuff while on the Future Sound Of Egypt label, and thought I'd give it a go.

20220201_195940.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
@SpyderTracks - Have you tried the Miles and Quincy Live at Montreux yet? I’m intrigued where it stands sonically being a live album.
No, not yet, been working through from earlies to the lates, just finished the 4th record "Body Heat"

The second album is Frank Sinatra at the Sands with Count Basie's Orchestra, all recorded live on stage at the hotel. I can't begin to explain just how fantastic that record is. The second side of four is all Frank talking to the audience. It's mesmerizingly good, especially since it was recorded in '66.

The Miles Davis record is the last of the series, so probably gonna get to it next weekend.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
The second album is Frank Sinatra at the Sands with Count Basie's Orchestra, all recorded live on stage at the hotel. I can't begin to explain just how fantastic that record is. The second side of four is all Frank talking to the audience. It's mesmerizingly good, especially since it was recorded in '66.
That bodes very well, one of my all time live favourites is Performing Price and there’s serious kudos attached to everyone who played an instrument, placed a microphone, tweaked the volume etc. Live albums are on the back foot compared to their big studio brothers so it’s always a pleasant surprise when a live performance sounds genuinely good 👍👍👍

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That bodes very well, one of my all time live favourites is Performing Price and there’s serious kudos attached to everyone who played an instrument, placed a microphone, tweaked the volume etc. Live albums are on the back foot compared to their big studio brothers so it’s always a pleasant surprise when a live performance sounds genuinely good 👍👍👍
I was never into live albums until I got into vinyl. Don't know what it is, don't know if it's the way I listen in the fact that I'm actually sitting there just focussing on the music rather than having it on in the background as I would have with digital playback or CD in the past. Maybe it's just a thing with getting older?

But I have a few live albums now, some of the obvious ones like Eric Clapton Unplugged, Nirvana Unplugged, Alice In Chains MTV Unplugged, but my favorite so far (aside from the new Sinatra one) has to be Some Enchanted Evening by Blue Oyster Cult.

Music On Vinyl reissued it recently, and this is the copy I have, if you like them, sincerely recommend picking it up, it's cheap currently, and a really good quality pressing:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
@SpyderTracks - Have you tried the Miles and Quincy Live at Montreux yet? I’m intrigued where it stands sonically being a live album.
Just listening to it now, skipped a little of the previous record "Back On The Block", was a little too 80's for me.

This is a wonderful recording, you wouldn't know it was live save for the Compère and audience applause, the quality of the recording and pressing is phenomenal.

I've pumped it seriously loud. This and the previous "Back On The Blocks" are the only 2 sourced from Digital Masters, but again you'd have to have pretty amazing ears to pick that out I think.

Just reading the liner notes, this was recorded in '91, Miles had always sworn he would never replay older content, but Quincy had repeatedly asked him for 15 years to get together to replay some old classics. Apparently Miles started softening when his old Partner from the early days, Gil Evans, died in '88.

It took months of rehearsals which started with Miles offloading a lot of the more complex material to other players, but bit by bit his confidence returned and by the show he was all up for it. At the end of the show, Miles was so happy with the outcome that he wanted to take it worldwide.

He died 2 months later.

So really, if it hadn't been for Quincy, this monumental occasion probably would never have happened.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Three little EP's through the door today, some extremely funky tracks on these, I'm gonna end up ordering the full set of 14. The one I'm really after is Episode 10 which has a rare vinyl pressing of a Brazilian DJ called Vintage Culture, but it's extremely hard to come buy, just made a purchase from some little independent record shop that says they're getting some stock in on Friday:

Defected Records - Sampler Episode 5

20220208_181146.jpg

Defected Records - Sampler Episode 6

20220208_184048.jpg

Defected Records - Sampler Episode 9

20220208_190626.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Another one through the door, I particularly want Don Henley's version of this track which is only available on the Leaving Las Vegas soundtrack and the MTV The Unplugged Collection, Volume One which are both unfortunately only currently available on CD.

But I love the Ray Charles version as well. It's just an extra broodiness and soulfulness that Don Henley's version brings.

Ray Charles - Come Rain Or Come Shine 1959 UK 45rpm single NM from discogs.

R-4213691-1644437968-9480.jpg

I'm always astounded that you can still come across records like this that are over 70 years old and have been loved and played and are still in this kind of condition. Goes to show what a remarkable medium vinyl is when it's cared for properly.

Last edited:

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Another one through the door, I particularly want Don Henley's version of this track which is only available on the Leaving Las Vegas soundtrack and the MTV The Unplugged Collection, Volume One which are both unfortunately only currently available on CD.

But I love the Ray Charles version as well. It's just an extra broodiness and soulfulness that Don Henley's version brings.

Ray Charles - Come Rain Or Come Shine 1959 UK 45rpm single NM from discogs.

View attachment 32310

I'm always astounded that you can still come across records like this that are over 70 years old and have been loved and played and are still in this kind of condition. Goes to show what a remarkable medium vinyl is when it's cared for properly.
Oh i like this one !

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
2001: A Space Odyssey 1989 UK Remaster from the MGM Soundtrack series NM off discogs.

I saw an amazing review on discogs:
"If you haven't played at least Side 1 at dawn, you're missing out on a spiritual, mental trip."

I've set my alarm for 6am on Saturday and gonna blast it as the sun comes up!

20220210_183208.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Some more of the Defected EP's top to bottom, left to right, unfortunately the colour ones seem to have suddenly sold out.

Sampler EP 4
Sampler EP 12
Sampler EP 8
Sampler EP 1
20220222_161503.jpg