Starfield

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
First Starfield update has been released.

No real spoilers, but it's a hotfix more than a full update. 729MB download is pretty beefy compared to what may be coming in future!

Capture.JPG

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Capture.JPG

Was wondering when the Starfield Steam cards would drop. I guess I have some more work to do as 48 hours isn't enough to unlock them all yet!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
They'll be worh a bit I would have thought
The Starfield card market could go either way to be honest. With a Steam peak of 330,000 concurrent players, there's likely at least 1.6 million cards out there, and likely a LOT more, so there's a decent supply.

Some will be selling their cards (particularly those who bought the game just to review bomb it) at any price which will lower the market prices, at least in the very short term. Some will be holding onto their cards looking for the highest price they can get as they're expecting high prices. Others will be looking to make trade moves and craft badges which will generate more cards, but that will only happen in the short term among the whales who want to be first to get the badges and don't mind throwing the £££ around. Over the longer term, the likes of myself will be crafting badges, but that'll come from the market settling down.

The above was very much just my thoughts, but having typed them out, I went looking. Here's some actual data to poke at.

Looking at my cards, they're currently valued between 17p and 19p which is fairly high for new cards. I only tend to look to buy for 5p maximum, so the market is too pricey for my tastes for now, but as I say, over the medium to long term, I suspect the market will cool down and become closer to what I'm willing to pay. I'll likely get booster packs semi regularly once I've got the eligibility given my Steam level, so I might be able to craft a badge or two of my own while waiting for prices I'm happy to pay.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The Starfield card market could go either way to be honest. With a Steam peak of 330,000 concurrent players, there's likely at least 1.6 million cards out there, and likely a LOT more, so there's a decent supply.

Some will be selling their cards (particularly those who bought the game just to review bomb it) at any price which will lower the market prices, at least in the very short term. Some will be holding onto their cards looking for the highest price they can get as they're expecting high prices. Others will be looking to make trade moves and craft badges which will generate more cards, but that will only happen in the short term among the whales who want to be first to get the badges and don't mind throwing the £££ around. Over the longer term, the likes of myself will be crafting badges, but that'll come from the market settling down.

The above was very much just my thoughts, but having typed them out, I went looking. Here's some actual data to poke at.

Looking at my cards, they're currently valued between 17p and 19p which is fairly high for new cards. I only tend to look to buy for 5p maximum, so the market is too pricey for my tastes for now, but as I say, over the medium to long term, I suspect the market will cool down and become closer to what I'm willing to pay. I'll likely get booster packs semi regularly once I've got the eligibility given my Steam level, so I might be able to craft a badge or two of my own while waiting for prices I'm happy to pay.
Are there review bombs are there? Didn't expect that, for any valid reasons or just for tge sake of it?

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Are there review bombs are there? Didn't expect that, for any valid reasons or just for tge sake of it?
I've seen a few reviews that are clear attempts at review bombs on Steam, and review aggregate sites where purchases aren't required definitely have them. Most of the negative reviews on Steam do appear to be genuine though which is good, as that does suggest that Valve have a handle on review bombs for Starfield.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What I've been really impressed with with some lesser more mainstream online games like Fortnite are the seasonal campaigns, it's a really clever thing to do and really does bring people in for that season, keeps it fresh as well.

I've not played fortnite, but one of my nephews was really hooked on it and would send me links to livestreams of season finale's, it was pretty mindboggling the way it brought players together for those last few days of the campaign.

It would be incredible if Starfield could incorporate something like that, perhaps as a sub section you could join separately to the main game.

But someone mentioned that since the development started so long ago (12 years or something like that), the infrastructure for true multiplayer just isn't present, and literally something they can't code in because of restrictions in the base layer. I have no idea if that's accurate, haven't read anything up on it.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster

homer j doesnt really understand steam cards,

homer j is old

Doh Homer GIF - Doh Homer TheSimpsons - Discover & Share GIFs

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
What I've been really impressed with with some lesser more mainstream online games like Fortnite are the seasonal campaigns, it's a really clever thing to do and really does bring people in for that season, keeps it fresh as well.

I've not played fortnite, but one of my nephews was really hooked on it and would send me links to livestreams of season finale's, it was pretty mindboggling the way it brought players together for those last few days of the campaign.

It would be incredible if Starfield could incorporate something like that, perhaps as a sub section you could join separately to the main game.

But someone mentioned that since the development started so long ago (12 years or something like that), the infrastructure for true multiplayer just isn't present, and literally something they can't code in because of restrictions in the base layer. I have no idea if that's accurate, haven't read anything up on it.
My main concern with the seasonal approach to online games is they're typically found in live service type games with battle passes, endless grinding and all that. I think I read that some of the early Fallout 76 content was a bit like that. It can be good when it's done right, but it's so easy to get wrong. Something like that needs to be the focus from day one, so I don't think we'll see that for Starfield - maybe Starfield 2 - coming to a PC & Microsoft console near you somewhere in the 2050s!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Yeah they announced that on Steam the other day. My first experiences with FSR2 have been pretty positive, and since I can't use DLSS 3.0, will probably have a play around with DLSS and see which feels better on Starfield.

robin h 25

After playing the game for a while, I've not really touched on the ship building of the game until recently, I thought i could see what i could come up with, with a custom ship build,
And being a fan of Star Trek, I had to try my hand and attempted to build a Star Trek ship in Starfield...

My design is a little crude but it's the best i could do with the parts i had available and the parts that would work and fit together to get it to fly which took me just over 3 and a half hours to make...
Star Trek in Starfield 2.jpg

Star Trek in Starfield.jpg

I didn't know if it was worth starting a new thread just for anyone to show off there custom starship designs, this being a Starfield thread, I put my screenshot of my build in here.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
After playing the game for a while, I've not really touched on the ship building of the game until recently, I thought i could see what i could come up with, with a custom ship build,
And being a fan of Star Trek, I had to try my hand and attempted to build a Star Trek ship in Starfield...

My design is a little crude but it's the best i could do with the parts i had available and the parts that would work and fit together to get it to fly which took me just over 3 and a half hours to make...
View attachment 38635
View attachment 38636

I didn't know if it was worth starting a new thread just for anyone to show off there custom starship designs, this being a Starfield thread, I put my screenshot of my build in here.
I've only really gone into the shipbuilder to add a little more cargo space or something basic. I've managed to pick up a few ships through missions and so haven't felt the need to build a whole ship myself.

Those are pretty cool though!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Looks a little like a phaser, or a modern day stun gun :D

Hours of fun in just building a ship though! I'm still working through Harry Potter but I think I'll get this for a play. If I can walk away for a few days and pick it back up, it may keep me entertained for a long time :)