Stressed!! Help!

markyb

I'm getting so stressed over this now, i've had my new machine for 2 days and i've not even been able to use it properly because of different problems. The latest being that I recently installed windows 7 on top of each other by accident (with advice from gorman i tried to format the drive first and do a re-install) However half way through installation i get an error message telling me that there were some missing files and now BOOTMGR has failed to load, so now i cant even install windows! I've tried the automatically repair button, along with all the other options given to me on screen, i cant boot from the hard drive as now there is nothing there, so what do i do? im desperate to sort this out, as right now I cant do anything with it!

Sleinous

Author Level
If you bought the Windows version with your pc, simplest thing to do is to pop the disk in, when it comes up with the screen "Press any ckey to continue" press a key. Then, when it says, custom install or upgrade, custom install > full install. This will format and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows. You will STILL have your old windows and old files saved on your HDD in a folder called "windows.old" in your C drive. Once youve taken all your docs and stuff t hat you wanted off your old install, run Disk Cleanup from Tools > Accessories and select "previous windows installations" to cleanup :) Hope that helps.

Also if you do NOT get the "press any key to continue message", simply enter BIOS usually by pressing del a few times after beep, and change the bootup order, so, you will want your DVD drive up at the top of the list.

markyb

I'm able to start a new installation for windows like you say, i go to custom install and choose the drive, then half way through the "expanding windows files" bit is where i get the error and i have no previous installed versions of windows to fall back on as i'm doing it from new... is there a way to repair the bootmgr??

Maestro

are you deleting all the partitions on the drive when you get the opportunity to do so during the win 7 install

markyb

yes, i have it so both hard drives say unallocated space and theres another one above my hard drives which says it's reserved for system. I'm trying to install windows on my main HD which is 2TB, it installs to roughly 35% and then i get the error. I'm ready to throw the thing out the window to be honest.. I just want it to work.

Maestro

ok, you need to delete the reserved partiton. Also have you tried installing the os on each drive in turn and does it fail at 35% on both. Also is the os purchased from pcs or is it your own. It could be a damaged disc.

markyb

I've tried deleting it before but it just comes back after a failed attempt. I've tried installing on both drives and it fails roughly about the same time.

markyb

it's the one that came with the PC. i'm really really gutted.. Thanks for the link, although I feel it's going over my head a little bit.. I think i'll be making a call to PCS unless I can get a solution that isnt out of my depth. Bummer :(

Sleinous

Author Level
Does sound like it doesnt finish unpacking the files to me. At what step does it fail? I mean, which line of text like 'expanding windows files'

Meds

Hi Markyb,

I think it would be best if you call Tech Support (0844 499 4000) when you a with your PC. They will talk you through step by step and get you up and running in no time. It will be alot quick than posting on here and waiting for a response. Also, don't forget the forums are not an official support channel so it's best to go through Tech Support anyway.