Telephone Number Change & Customer Service Announcement

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Good evening

We are considering changing our telephone number to an "03" number in the coming weeks, but before we do I need to get feedback as to how many of our customers understand what an "03" number is, whether they think it's based in the UK, and how much they think calls cost.

So before reading the paragraph below, or searching for an answer online...

1. Do you know what an 03 number is?
2. Would you call us if our number was 0330 xxx xxxx?
3. Do you think this number will cost you more to call?

Why are we changing?

Assuming that you have answered the above - here's the answer:

We're improving our customer service team in a big way. In the next month or so we'll have some great news for our customers, but right now I can't say anymore. Part of our improvement involves ditching our 0844 number and changing to a new 0330 number, which means calls will be at the same cost as "01" and "02" numbers. If you have inclusive call minutes, which we know a lot of people do, then it could potentially mean you can speak to us for free as often as you like. :)

Based on current numbers in use, once we make the change no other supplier of computers and laptops in the UK offer will be able to offer cheaper pre-sales advice or technical support than us!

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I love you PCS (that's why you got the shiny important persons hat in the Minions pic :) )

Keep up the ever evolving service! :D

Rakk

The Awesome
That's great :)

So have you heard of 03 numbers?

I had heard of them, some places I think already use them cos its a lot cheaper for mobile users, but I hadn't really seen much about them or particularly looked into it.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
sounds good PCS,

1 - yes, thanks google ;)
2 - I tend to use the messaging service through the main site, but now I'll probably call more.
3 - nooo, its cheaper :)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
1. Do you know what an 03 number is?- no.
2. Would you call us if our number was 0330 xxx xxxx? - probably.
3. Do you think this number will cost you more to call? - don't know.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Oh yeh, there were questions...

1) Yes (it came up as a possible thing to use at work)
2) Never had a reason to :( Pretty sure Jak wouldn't appreciate forum superstar social calls clogging up the system :)
3) How can it cost more! 3 is less than 8!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
1.- Yes, I used them before.
2.-Definitely, it seems to be cheaper and should count as part of my allowance.
3.-Cheaper for a mobile phone user, not user about landlines.

Tom DWC

1. Do you know what an 03 number is?

Not until now.

2. Would you call us if our number was 0330 xxx xxxx?

If I needed to but I would probably have checked the contact us page on the website first to find out the cost.

3. Do you think this number will cost you more to call?

I would have had no idea either way - do now though!

Sounds good, especially with only having the mobile and no landline a lot of the time. :)

Stephen M

Author Level
Was aware of 03 numbers and very pleased PCS is switching to them, even though I prefer email as I can read it through a few times and add what I have forgotten to put in (always something). However, it is handy to be able to talk to someone and now it will be out of my inclusive minutes even better.

I begrudge the way a lot of companies rake in money with expensive phone lines. Not sure if posting this site breaks any rules (sorry mods if it does) but I have found it very useful for finding geographical numbers rather than the expensive ones: http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

bigben

Master Poster
I wouldn't have a problem as long as you made it clear that 03 only costs standard charge.
Out of interest, why not just have a local number?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I didn't know what one was but as long as the website clearly stated the charges (if any) then I'd still call.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I don't have a landline. Too many people trying to sell me windows... i don't need because your PCs come with windows already (teehee).

Bad joke aside, i would still use the messaging ticket on the main site but if it was urgent i would be using my mobile and so the 03 number would be beneficial to me and users in a similar situation.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the comments. Once we've decided on how to proceed further we will let everybody know.

In the meantime, if you have any further feedback regarding 03 numbers please post here.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Thanks for all the comments. Once we've decided on how to proceed further we will let everybody know.

In the meantime, if you have any further feedback regarding 03 numbers please post here.

Once it is introduced you could try to indicated how much it will cost on the website, an average from a bt landline or mobile phone.

steaky360

I have heard of them before I think through nPower, they use it for the 'alternative' number to the 0800 number in case you are ringing from a mobile etc. I must admit though I wouldn't have hesitated to call before mostly because I use the "call waiting" page and don't call unless the queue's low/empty so I'm not waiting too long (and I never am! :))

Very good move!

dv8tion242

Would it be worth using VOIP rather than traditional lines of support? Mainly using video so support can see what is or is not happening. Obviously doing that won't help everyone, but at a guess, most people buying from custom-shops will be vaguely aware of SIP/XMPP and or Skype or even Google's video.. Even the 03 rates @ .10-.40/per minute seems higher than is necessary. there are tons of Android and iPhone applications which alleviate the hassle.
SIP or XMPP is more flexible than Skype because a Skype client/account isn't necessary but is more like asking what kind of cloud a person prefers. But would still allow a central clearing house of sorts.
For a business, I see even BT is getting to this game.

If that's not possible, due to whatever reason, maybe a certain amount of credit should be given up by the company? Knowing the current rates for a person's location, time spent on the phone should be pretty easy to figure out. So if someone has spent 20 minutes on the phone @ .20/minute, maybe the cost of calling support (or even half of that cost) could be taken up by PCS and put back into that customer's account.

Just a couple ideas.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
If i was having an issue with my PC i think i would be inclined to call regardless, for the cost of a couple of minutes phone call i would be happy to pay a couple of quid to get it sorted. Then again I'm not exactly frightened of the inside of a computer so im probably not an ideal example.

To answer the specific questions.

1. Do you know what an 03 number is? Not without asking google
2. Would you call us if our number was 0330 xxx xxxx? Yes, but i would call anyway if i had to. Just hope i don't every have to :)
3. Do you think this number will cost you more to call? My gut told me it would be cheaper but until i looked up google i had no idea of the cost