The Christmas 2023 and New Year thread

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
hows everyones new yr going

homer was going to be on here at midnight but homer was also drunk so homer ended up dead in bed

homer doesnt regret it although is questioning the life choices, the rooms stopped spinning like a wheeeeeeeeeeeeeel so thats good, see @Martinr36 homers keeps going with the wheel jokes

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's what I call 'in-between projects'...no work = no money.
I took one holiday the whole time I was self employed, only to Spain for 10 days, when you factor in lost earnings it’s just not worth it, costs far too much even for a totally basic holiday

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I took one holiday the whole time I was self employed, only to Spain for 10 days, when you factor in lost earnings it’s just not worth it, costs far too much even for a totally basic holiday
It's a double-whammy on the current project, as the client has a mandatory 'contractor furlough' over the summer & winter holiday periods, so I am forced to take 3-4 weeks off when they believe there'll be less demand for contractor skills (not just me, there's about 10,000 contractors here in many different roles).

Despite me telling them every time that the work I do is on a strict schedule (based a 3rd party(ies) release schedule / dataset availability), so when I am forced to take 2 weeks off they will miss a whole month of analysis as I will not have time to complete those 2 weeks of work before the next iteration is due. So my output materials and analysis tend to gloss over anything happening end of July or end of December.

These are the worst times for a person with no children to have to book holidays anywhere as they're peak breeder holiday seasons...and then I have to take more unpaid time off if I actually want a skiing/driving holiday away somewhere.

But, as long as I can get more than 40 weeks of billable time in every year, then I won't complain too much ;)