Thermal Paste recommendation

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
My trusted old Core 2 Quad Q6600 has got a really bad fever:( and is in need of a bit of TLC.

What do you suggest as a good thermal paste to buy to get it back near to what the temps were before?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Arctic Silver 5 is a good thermal compound, but unless you are going to OC, you'll never know the difference between AS5 and the stock thermal compound.
I use TIM Clean to take the old paste off,or Just get Isopropyl Alcohol from your local pharmacy. Make sure it's at least 70% proof,also use a lint free paper/cloth.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast

Sleinous

Author Level
Arctic Silver, IC Diamond, Shin Etsu, all good brands.

ArctiClean 1 & 2 are very very handy for cleaning off old Tim and are cheap from watercooling UK's website.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Thanks Vanthus. How easy is it to apply AS5?

I have just done a quick search and saw this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Cool...IJP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304243015&sr=8-1

Is this any good?

Is it worth buying ArtiClean or whatever it is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

The Q6600 is coming to the end of it's life now so I will try and OC it and see what it can do before it gets sent to PC heaven.
I'm no expert on It abdulhamid,I've only done It three times.
It's supposed to be easy but I found It quite difficult putting the heatsink back on,but that was with older pc's,might be easier on yours.
As I said,If your going to over clock I would use AS5.
As for applying the paste,(after old paste is cleaned)different methods have been suggested to me,
like putting a small pea sized amount of paste on then putting heatsink on to & letting It spread by the contact,or spreading a thin layer with small plastic stick provided like I did.
If at first you dont succeed,you can always try again,took me 3 or 4 shots the first time.
Also,make sure to ground yourself,or wear antistatic wriststrap.
Yes, I would get the Articlean.

Last edited: