Using 2nd monitor while gaming on primary monitor

PokerFace

Banned
Hi guys,

I finally managed to get Splinter Cell Chaos Theory working (via Steam).

I had a problem when I first opened the game whereby my primary monitor (Dell 2408 1920x1200) was flashing on and off, fluctuating between power on and standby and my second monitor had my other open windows (HWMonitor etc) jumping all over the screen.

I managed to get into the primary monitor by doing CNTR>ALT>DEL and selecting task manager (the primary screen then opened in a lower resolution. I went into the game settings and changed res to 1920x1200 and it worked ok.

My question is:
Is there a way to run the game on my primary monitor and still be able to move mouse and access windows on the 2nd monitor?

Extra info: If I have other windows open and I open a game, the windows jump to the right and therefore end up either moving from my left (main monitor) to the right (2nd monitor), or if I already had a window open in the 2nd monitor, it will jump to the right (sometimes off the screen, depending on the original position of the window).

I was thinking of trying Ultramon - would that work, or be necessary?

Thanks for any ideas on this.

Rakk

The Awesome
Ok, from what I've found, if I want to be able to use stuff on my second monitor whilst having a game in full screen on my main screen, I need to have the game open in Windowed mode and maximised rather than full screen, otherwise it completely gets its knickers in a twist and my second screen goes very odd (like how you described, everything sorta gets shuffled sideways, and my wallpaper gets shrunk into the middle of my second screen) and cant be used at all, not without minimising the game I'm trying to play - which isn't very useful!

Note: this does not entirely work with all games, with some older games, although I can see whats on my second screen I can't actually move my mouse onto the second screen, so basically it's entirely dependent on the game.
Games I know it does work with: EQ1, EQ2, SC2, Rift, Just Cause 2
Games I can remember that it doesn't work with: Sim City 4 Deluxe, the first Oddworld game (both through Steam)

PokerFace

Banned
Ok, from what I've found, if I want to be able to use stuff on my second monitor whilst having a game in full screen on my main screen, I need to have the game open in Windowed mode and maximised rather than full screen,

Thanks Rakk,

So how do I open a game in Windowed mode?

BTW, the games I have are: Splinter Cell and Brothers in Arms.

Rakk

The Awesome
So how do I open a game in Windowed mode?
Well, I don't have either game, but it's generally found in the options or settings section of the game, somewhere in the graphics bit of said settings/options.

Gorman

Author Level
Some games have a setting called fullscreen in a window which is exactly what you are looking for, have only seen it once or twice though

Fear

Prolific Poster
Open your game and hit Alt + Enter should put it to window mode and if you want to put it back to full screen same again ;)

Fear

Prolific Poster
Yes it's amazing what you learn when you have left Alt as your push to talk key :D and ta for the rep ;)