Very pleased with my new PC

Dave159

Hi all,

Just to keep people up to date for anybody else who might have the same situation
with faulty memory.
My CPU cooler is the Titan Fenrir Evo Extreme Heatpipe CPU Cooler.
The heat sink is so large in fouls two memory modules. One faulty module, means
all the memory modules have to be replaced. In my case the faulty module happened to be very easy to remove, but the only way to remove all the modules is to unclip the
CPU cooling fan.
So I removed the CPU cooling fan after a struggle, which made it easy to remove the
rest of the memory. Not looking forward to putting the fan back though.
So now I'm awaiting replacement.

Dave159

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
To be honest I dont know why they are asking you to replace all the ram sticks,but they're the experts & maybe it's their policy.
Thing is If ever you remove the heatsink/cooler,as far as my knowledge goes you should really remove & reapply the thermal paste,which can be a bit of a pain,but you say you only need to remove the fan,in which case, shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

Dave159

PCS says "the full amount of RAM would need to be replaced as it comes as a tested set, we cannot mix RAM up i.e. new for old."

In that case when testing RAM theres no point in isolating the faulty module.

It is also recommended to test individual sticks in slot A2 for my MB which in my case would be removing then attaching the fan for each module.

A good thing is Kingston RAM is supposed to have a life garrantee.

Dave159

Last edited:

Maestro

Yes, i t can cause a bit of an issue, when only 1 module is faulty having to return the whole set. If it were sansung it wouldnt be an issue as they come as individual sticks. But Kingston come as kits, and in order to return them under warranty back to kingston we have to return them as a kit ( same serial numbers etc).

It is always worth testing because it is quite feasible that it might not have been the memory that was faulty. By isolating the faulty memory module you have proven it wa sa faulty module and not for example a faulty slot.

Dave159

PCS kindly sent me a new RAM kit which I tested for about 5 Hours. No errors on pass 3.
But the CPU fan was very difficult to replace. At the moment all seems ok.

Dave159