vortex III

Hi is it possible I can buy the Vortex III with only the I7 ivy cpu and the HD AMD 7970M without ram or hdd I have no option but to have with 2gb and 250gb hdd and how much would you take off without memory and hdd ?

Jamwllms

Bronze Level Poster
I have a gut feeling they won't do that for testing purposes... (And probably some super-complicated reasons that are beyond my meager comprehension.) But even if they did I suspect the money you would save would not be a lot. Taking off 2GB of RAM and the smallest slowest hard drive in stock won't exactly save you much money...

Just a thought. :)

I would really prefer to buy the vortex III with 660m gfx at a cheaper price then upgrade to 680m or 7970m when prices dropped I believe the Vortex III LE isn't compatible with these two cards

Jamwllms

Bronze Level Poster
Financially though you're better off just waiting, or else you'll be spending a lot of money on a graphics card you plan on taking out in a few months. :)

And yeah, the LE is designed to be money saving and isn't compatible with any of the higher specced cards.

Last edited:

Jamwllms

Bronze Level Poster
A post by someone from PCS. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: I can't find it, so I MAY have made an error. Since I also read that the Vortex III comes shipped with the 7970m installed. I'll edit my post to that effect. Apologies.

Last edited:

Dolleeh

Pretty sure I saw the same post as Jamwllms. I read the cards were being shipped already soldered to the chassis.

Jamwllms

Bronze Level Poster
Glad I may have not imagined it..

But for the life of me I can't find the post.

Like I say, I read the 7970M comes "Installed" in the laptop, but whether that is synonymous with "Soldered", I can't say..

Hopefully someone will have a better idea.

I'm not too fussed anyway. I have no intention to upgrade mine. :)

Maestro

Yes the 7970m gps's are shipped already fitted in the chassis. However these are discrete mxm cards and can be removed.

Reactions: fnf