Will a GTX 460 Run minecraft at MAX settings?

harvb

Looking to build a PC under 600quid and have got this (self building it) and i was wondering if i can lower the price down slightly by getting a GTX 460 insted of the 560ti

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V unbuffered
Asus P8H67-M R3 H67 1155 Socket 8 Channel HD Audio mATX Motherboard
Core i5 2500 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Coolermaster CM690 II Lite with Coolermaster GX 650W PSU *Special Offer Bundle*
Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDM Out PCI-E Graphicas Card
LG GH22NS70 22x DVD±RW with DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive
WD 750GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 7200RPM 32MB Cache
And also is everything fine with the setup ^ as in will there be no problems?
THANKS!

Gishank

Bright Spark
To answer your question - yes.

Minecraft isn't a demanding game, you can run it on max settings on very low-end cards. lol.

Sleinous

Author Level
Yeah they would but honestly for the price diff i'd stick with the 560 Ti, its not all about performance (although the 560 Ti is quite a bit faster!), its also about power usage, the 500 series cards are more power efficient than the 400 series.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
To answer your question - yes.

Minecraft isn't a demanding game, you can run it on max settings on very low-end cards. lol.

you must remember that minecraft uses java, which is very inefficient which is why the 256 bit mod is very hard to play

but a gtx 460 is a decent card and will max it out easily

Sleinous

Author Level
Useless tip: Run java x64 on big servers so as not to run out of memory so often. (mem limits on java).

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Useless tip: Run java x64 on big servers so as not to run out of memory so often. (mem limits on java).

Im a Java programmer and I hate Java lol, well I hate the fact it has such a low memory limit as standard lol, obviously its no problem changing it but for example my friend ran minecraft a while back at about 10 seconds in Java was running out of memory, has to be a bug in minecraft because ive never seen it use anywhere near that much memory, but just changing it via commandline helped a bit, not a fix but a temp solution for now lol.

Sleinous

Author Level
I found it to be highly problematic to change, it refused to accept my changes, x86 version and x64 version :/

Also yeah Notch recently added some prevention system that chucks you out of game as soon as their is the slightest chance of block corruption, hence its alot easier to get that out of memory window nowadays ;)

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
my computer plain refuses to play minecraft lol. IM guessing for the full release theyll be switching to C and not sticking with Java? I cant see them developing for console which will have to be C based and stickin with Java on PC lol

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
my computer plain refuses to play minecraft lol. IM guessing for the full release theyll be switching to C and not sticking with Java? I cant see them developing for console which will have to be C based and stickin with Java on PC lol

i didnt think it was Majong building it for consoles, only PC & mobile devices?

also there is a minecraft app for iphone/ipod called minecrafted, its not bad, although i cant seem to play on my own and its only the original version available on the website for free...

still a bit of fun on the go i guess

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Even if it isnt Mojang making it for console, the game is going to have to be pretty much the same across all consoles, keeping it in Java will almost certainly mean console version will run better, which would make a PC version pretty pointless imo. Think hes gonna have to code in a C based language or optimize his Java further before releasing because it runs ridiculously slowly.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i think they probably will, but i think it will have to be the first full release which will be the first C one rather than java because of the way its currently updated, either way in the full release you will probably need to redownload completely rather than just an update

it may just be a simple port and therefore they dont need to change on PC, that way they only need to sort bug fixes after porting

i may be completely wrong, you know a lot more about this stuff than me