Windows 10 Network - Secured, not connected

andrewstevens556

Bronze Level Poster
I think it may be a driver issue.

when you’ve got it cabled, go into device manager, find the WiFi adapter, right click and delete including bundled software, then reboot.

windows will find the relevant driver and reinstall.
Then test again on WiFi.

Just done this exactly as stated. By the time I restarted it was already installed - no notification at all but checking Device Manager there it was again. Driver seemed to be the same version/date as prior to uninstall.

Ethernet cable now connected so will update tomorrow morning to see how wifi and ethernet are then.

andrewstevens556

Bronze Level Poster
Out of interest, what AV are you running?

AV?

Edit: dim moment there! Brain was going audio visual but didn't make sense...!

Now I translate to antivirus! Currently just standard windows gubbins, and I think the Bullguard trial is hanging around for its 30 days before being removed.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Does your PC sleep for more than 24 hours at a time?

If Bullguard is no longer 'in use' then uninstalling it is an excellent idea.

What happens when Ethernet attached is the key to telling whether it's the WiFi driver (or some other wireless issue). We do need to localise this and Ethernet attachment is the best way to do that I think...

andrewstevens556

Bronze Level Poster
Does your PC sleep for more than 24 hours at a time?

If Bullguard is no longer 'in use' then uninstalling it is an excellent idea.

What happens when Ethernet attached is the key to telling whether it's the WiFi driver (or some other wireless issue). We do need to localise this and Ethernet attachment is the best way to do that I think...

Thank you for your help so far.

Latest update.....it seems the ethernet cable plugged in last night has been doing its job without issue. Came to the PC this morning, didn't give things a second thought as it all functioned fine and I was in a hurry.

Just thought about this again now, and checked the machine - it's connected via etherent without issue, but the wireless connections were not connected (despite Connect Automatically being ticked). When I connected manually (been using the PC for 20mins already without thinking) it would has connected ok.

PC never sleeps more than 24 hours - usually turns itself off 11pm or so, then wake it up at 8am. Often sleeps a bit during the day, but the night is its longest sleep.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thank you for your help so far.

Latest update.....it seems the ethernet cable plugged in last night has been doing its job without issue. Came to the PC this morning, didn't give things a second thought as it all functioned fine and I was in a hurry.

Just thought about this again now, and checked the machine - it's connected via etherent without issue, but the wireless connections were not connected (despite Connect Automatically being ticked). When I connected manually (been using the PC for 20mins already without thinking) it would has connected ok.

PC never sleeps more than 24 hours - usually turns itself off 11pm or so, then wake it up at 8am. Often sleeps a bit during the day, but the night is its longest sleep.
Excellent. :)

If it's never sleeping for more than 24 hours then it's not a DHCP lease issue and we can forget that.
If it's working ok when Ethernet attached then it's a wireless adapter issue and so that's where we need to look.

I would now follow SpyderTracks' suggestion and check that the wireless driver is properly installed. It would be wise to download a new copy of the driver from the WiFi card manufacturer's website, then use Device Manager to uninstall the wireless adapter (and driver), then reboot, and then install the newly downloaded driver.

When you install the newly downloaded wireless card driver only install the driver itself, make sure that all additional software that comes bundled in the downloaded driver is not selected. You neither want nor need that additional bloatware - just the driver.

andrewstevens556

Bronze Level Poster
Thank you.

Just followed the driver advice once again. Went to Intel website, downloaded latest driver to desktop. Uninstalled. Restarted. By the time I was back restarted the driver seemed to have installed itself again....I assume via Windows. Situation was still the same.

So I tried a different method. Uninstalled the driver. Unplugged ethernet. Restarted. Then installed driver via download on desktop. Once installed, still the same.

Strangely, when hovering on the icon in taskbar, it showed "Unidentified network" yet the SSID of the network still showed.

Screenshot (19).png

andrewstevens556

Bronze Level Poster
It probably wasn't relevant to the issue or even remotely useful but did you you try the Radio thing I mentioned earlier in the thread? Just wondering as it looked like it was overlooked....sounds like you are at the point of trying anything so might be worth a look

Sorry for the slow reply. Yes, I did try this in Windows. Didn't fancy venturing into the bios for it though.

Thank you for the suggestion.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think it might be worth just checking where we're at now. As I understand things the problem has been narrowed down to this....

1. Everything works normally when Ethernet attached, including remaining connected on waking from sleep.

2. WiFi connection works normally until the PC sleeps, on resuming from sleep you have the "No Internet, Secured" message (and we've established that's because DHCP fails on resuming from sleep (you see the autoconfiguration address and no gateway in ipconfig /all).

Is all that true, or is there more we don't know?

I'd also like you to run the following PowerShell commands using Admin mode (ie. elevated) when connected via the WiFi adapter both when you're having the No Internet, Secured issue and again when everything is running normally. Note they are not case-sensitive.

Get-NetAdapter
This command will produce a list of your network adapters and their names. Find the name of your Wifi network adapter, you'll use this in the next commands. Note: You only need run this command once, the WiFi adapter name won't change.

Get-NetAdapter WiFi | Format-List -Property Status,MediaConnectionState,ifOperStatus
Replace WiFi with the name of your WiFi adapter in the above command. It will show the status of the three properties listed. Take a screen shot of this output and post it here.

Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty WiFi
Replace WiFi with the name of your WiFi adapter in the above command. It will show you all the advanced properties of your adapter. Take a screenshot and post it here.

Get-Net-IPConfiguration WiFi -Detailed
Replace WiFi with the name of your WiFi adapter in the above command. It will show you the detailed IP properties of your adapter. Take a screenshot and post it here.

:)

andrewstevens556

Bronze Level Poster
Yes, as far as I am aware that is all correct.

Thank you. OK, first up "No Internet, Secured"

EDIT: Screenshots removed as messed up a command - screenshots to follow below....

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Urm, you've got an anchor free TAP in place, I'm almost positive that's throttling your network speeds on the wifi.

What AV do you run, is it Panda by any chance?