Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Release

Kaitel

Bronze Level Poster
So I see that the 1st service pack for Windows 7 is out on the 22nd, while I can see this is handy for new systems to get them up to speed with the updates in one go, is it really necessary to install this service pack if you're up to date with your current system? I don't wanna download the same updates I already made or ones that I deemed at the time I didn't need.
Ive got auto updates turned off so I can check each one manually first so I assume it wont force this service pack on me until/if I want it, but I see Microsoft has released a service pack blocker program, can't they just tell people to turn off auto-updates if they don't want the pack yet?
Is everyone gonna update their system straight away, wait a while to see if any problems arise, or not at all and keep doing individual updates as they appear?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Service packs are a lot more than just updates, In fact It was reckoned xp service pack 2 could have been classed as a new operating system.Like you I am always wary of windows updates & like to keep control myself instead of just automatic,but I have a lot more confidence in microsoft now,I really think they are pretty good at what they do.But I will still be waiting to see if all is ok with the update,problem as there will be claims that it has done some damage in one way or another to someones pc,but this will probably be in the minority & could be related to a failed previous update,but it should always be possible to roll back.It shouldn't be forced on you unless you have automatic updates set.

Al.Neri

Super Star
I'll probably hold off for a few days, maybe up to a week to see how other people report their installations, after that, I will install it myself.

Al.Neri

Super Star
anyone taken the plunge yet? I downloaded an ISO copy, but I have yet to burn it to a dvd, let alone install it.

Gorman

Author Level
installing now.

I loathe service packs for entirely different reasons than stated above.

I now have to update every single windows 7 image, cheers Microsoft.

Kaitel

Bronze Level Poster
Apparently it's best to use the Windows updater to do it, much smaller for some reason, maybe it doesn't do the updates you've already made. I really dont see the point in doing it myself, says its mainly previous updates and stuff for servers. Seems like too much risk for too little reward to me, if it aint broke - dont fix it.
So I'm gonna try and avoid it as long as possible, hopefully indefinitely.

Al.Neri

Super Star
just done the install myself, went fairly well for me, not noticed any issues, though for some reason, my CPU usage is a fluctuating a bit higher after updating. probably purely unrelated, but the increase is still there. other than that, nothing untoward to report.

Anthony.Ralph

Bronze Level Poster
Another one who has done the update. No problems so far. Mind you I never had problems with XP or Vista (SPs) or Win 7 so maybe I lead a charmed life!

Anthony.

Gorman

Author Level
In my working history the worst by far was XP sp2, I remember it wiped out a lot of users. Little things like printers not working etc but enough to cause big headaches

darksider

Bronze Level Poster
yeah, i'm waiting a solid couple of months before i take the plunge....

....i wanna enjoy my new machine for a llittle bit before the service pack bricks it like it pretty much has with every update that i've ever tried. :(

Freeley

Is there a way of checking what updates you have installed.
I've had automatic updates on since i got my pc last month and was wondering whether i had the service pack or not.

Gorman

Author Level
bring up windows update and hit "view update history", then check restore hidden updates. If you don't see it, you don't have it yet.

Best indicator would be it in the available updates queue though!

shades

Silver Level Poster
In my working history the worst by far was XP sp2, I remember it wiped out a lot of users. Little things like printers not working etc but enough to cause big headaches

Yes!!! XP SP2 was the death of my pc at the time. Had to completely re-install and avoided it like the plague from there on in.

PokerFace

Banned
Is there a way of checking what updates you have installed.
I've had automatic updates on since i got my pc last month and was wondering whether i had the service pack or not.

If you have downloaded it already. don't worry about it....someone has to be the guinea pig :beta:

Just tell us when it's safe to join you :)

Gorman

Author Level
oh its fine, ive applied it to many machine, the only hiccup was where a large enterprise network and custom apps were involved. Just do a system image before you update and even if it goes wrong you are back up and running in <1/2 hour.

darksider

Bronze Level Poster
oh its fine, ive applied it to many machine, the only hiccup was where a large enterprise network and custom apps were involved. Just do a system image before you update and even if it goes wrong you are back up and running in <1/2 hour.

but..... NEW machine!

Trust me, if I didn't know any better, i'd say me Ma actually slept with a guy called Murphy when she conceived me because he sure as hell shows up a lot in my life... :(

Freeley

bring up windows update and hit "view update history", then check restore hidden updates. If you don't see it, you don't have it yet.

Best indicator would be it in the available updates queue though!

Cheers for that, i see it's listed as an optional download that i have to choose manually. Don't know whether to or not!
As Gorman says perhaps i'll do a system image and go for it, what's the worst that can happen :hang:

pengipete

Rising Star
It's easy to check whether you already have Service Pack 1 installed - right-click on the My Computer icon and select Properties from the pop-up menu. At the top of the System window that opens, it will show your Windows version - is SP1 is installed it will be written just underneath.

The only widely reported problem with SP1 and W7 relates to hibernation and only then fi a particular type of hard-drive controller is present. It's an easy one to sort until Microsoft release a proper fix - just disable hybrid sleep and problem solved.

Freeley

Well i've installed it now anyway, already had waking up problems so don't want hibernation issues as well!