Windows scam

Narcotics

Rising Star
Virus phone scam being run from call centres in India

Does anyone else get this scam call i get it like 2 3 times a week im starting to think i'm the only one they try to scam. I do get a good laugh out of each call i did manage to keep one of them on the line for 45 minutes playing grange hill theme down the line every 2 or 3 minutes. I also told one my pc runs on Linux & he did start the call with hi there this is a call for windows computers your computer is running slow i'm here to help improve your system but why call me if my pc does not run on windows this doesn't matter he said i then told him i had some old rusty bike for sale if he would just be so kind to give me his bank details. I don't get how this scam is still working it's beyond me.
[video=youtube;-SlvZF6k5bE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SlvZF6k5bE[/video] 223261-scam_original-5184962.jpg

Scammers call your house and ask for you by name posing as computer security pros from legitimate companies. The fake security experts claim that you're at risk for a computer security threat and offer to help you solve the problem. The criminals then ask you to perform a variety of tasks to help combat the bogus threat such as giving the thieves remote access to your computer, tricking you into downloading malware, and even asking for your credit card information.

The scammers appear to be targeting people in English-speaking countries including the United States, Canada, Ireland and the U.K. Microsoft called 7,000 computer users in these four countries to see how widespread the emerging scam was. So far around 15 percent of those surveyed had received a call, according to Microsoft.

The good news is only 3 percent of those surveyed fell for the scam, but those who did fall victim usually paid a hefty price. The vast majority of those deceived (79 percent) suffered some kind of financial loss including money taken from their bank and credit card accounts, compromised passwords and identity fraud. Average financial losses ranged from $82 in Ireland to as much as $1,560 in Canada.

More than half of those surveyed also said they suffered subsequent computer problems, costing users in the US an average of $4,800 to repair their PCs.

If you receive a call from someone claiming to want to help you fix your computer, Microsoft offers the following advice:

Be wary of unsolicited calls related to a security problem, even if they claim to represent a respected company.
Never provide personal information, such as credit card or bank details, to an unsolicited caller.
Do not go to a website, type anything into a computer, install software or follow any other instruction from someone who calls out of the blue.
Take the caller's information down and report it to the police.
Ensure you have the latest security updates for Windows and all programs running on your PC.
Always use a strong, unique password and change it regularly

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Last edited:

Buzz

Master
Im on phone so didnt read the full post but the windows scam calls have been going ages. Best thing to do is keep them on the call for as long as possible pretending to be interested and keep pretending that when they want u to open the files or remote networking just keep acting dumb as if u have no idea why its not working. Make them pay big for the call :)

Then hang up an hr later. They have called me at least 4times now.

Corfate

Author Level
Haven't got a call from these before. Sad thing is that the less knowledgable pc users and elderly people may be tricked into paying.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I used to get them pretty regular,not for a while now though.
It's a bit of a laugh for me but as Corfate said some people will be conned
which isn't a laugh.

Buzz

Master
Yeh Corfate they have for sure. It was / Is a pretty popular scam here. The 1st time I got the call I freaked out with them, Said was recording the call etc etc. I could hear 2 ppl talk in background, coaxing the person on the phone to me. Only for I knew microsoft do not track users, I knew there was no way the call was legit. It happened again and again. Weird thing is our house number is x directory so I have NO idea how the got our phone number.

[video=youtube;j-Sxi3-VW7k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Sxi3-VW7k[/video]

Narcotics

Rising Star
I used to get them pretty regular,not for a while now though.
It's a bit of a laugh for me but as Corfate said some people will be conned
which isn't a laugh.

It's insane this scam has been ongoing since 2008 i think Microsoft should make more awareness of this scam like you say its the old and not so computer savvy people that will get scammed. I did read one person that got caught by the scam was looking after her husband who at the time was dying of cancer holy crap, how do these people sleep at night?

Fear

Prolific Poster
Yeah i have had a few of these calls and the last one about 2 weeks ago i spent the first 10 minutes looking for the start menu and then i finally asked if the computer needed to be switched on first ;) i then kept him on the phone for another 25 minutes as i was really bored and the last question he asked me was you don't have a computer do you and after i said no he hang up :(

baron75mk2

Banned
i have not had any calls , but i did hear about it not so long ago on the news - i think ill just hang up if i do get calls though

good post though for anyone who isnt aware of this scam :)

Thank you.

Rakk

The Awesome
I can only remember getting one of these calls once, I wanted to string the guy along, but got bored after about 2 minutes and told him to go away and stop bothering me.

Buzz

Master
when they ring just say, its kinda funny you ringing me from Microsoft about a Microsoft issue, when in fact I am using Linux. Very odd. Can you explain please. Beep beep beep (ring tone)

Narcotics

Rising Star
when they ring just say, its kinda funny you ringing me from Microsoft about a Microsoft issue, when in fact I am using Linux. Very odd. Can you explain please. Beep beep beep (ring tone)

If they call give them this number 0300 123 2040

tom_gr7

Life Serving
My mam got a call after she bought a new laptop pc world in January,

The caller told her that her pc had sent them a message saying to call them, apparently the pc had a virus. lol Course it has.

She actually refused to turn on any pc in the house and put the phone down after saying she has no idea what he's talking about and that she wasn't going to do anything she asked. hahah. Go mum!

Buzz

Master
My mam got a call after she bought a new laptop pc world in January,

The caller told her that her pc had sent them a message saying to call them, apparently the pc had a virus. lol Course it has.

She actually refused to turn on any pc in the house and put the phone down after saying she has no idea what he's talking about and that she wasn't going to do anything she asked. hahah. Go mum!

Haahaa, same as my folks. They always just hang up or put them onto me saying Iv no clue what those people are asking me. My parents wouldnt know what a computer looked like let alone how to turn it on. lol

In a way, i want one of these calls, just so i can have a laugh :p
I was like this at first but then it just ends up being annoying, as you know damn well its a scam but cant do anything bar keep them or or hang up. It was rampant here in Ireland for while but seems to have died down now. Not had a call in few months.

They ask you to install software that will remove the virus and they get their tech support to connect to your comp and install it for you. Of course there is a charge for the software that as you well know does absolutely nothing. Its crazy why they havent been dealt with yet by officials. Surely the software site can be traced and removed. Ok they will pop up again so just remove em again.