Wireless Network Card for Gaming?

MrRaich

Silver Level Poster
I get a ping of around 60-80ms on my old computer and I was wondering what the best choice of Network Card is for PC wireless gaming. Will my ping improve with a better Network card? And what network Card should I get?

Thanks in advance. :)

Fear

Prolific Poster
These get different results for everyone if you want a good stable low ping you would be better off getting a set of homeplugs but if you want to stick with wireless then there is no guarantee anyway what router are you using ?

MrRaich

Silver Level Poster
At the moment I'm using a a D-LINK.. thing.. And we have a BTHomeHub at the moment.

Thanks for replying!

petgag

As long as its an N rated card, prefereably with MIMO and multiple antennas, then it will give you good speed. G rated cards are older and slower, mimo cards (multiple antennas) have multiple signals, can be dual band, and if linked with MIMO routers give faster and better quality signals.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
As long as its an N rated card, prefereably with MIMO and multiple antennas, then it will give you good speed. G rated cards are older and slower, mimo cards (multiple antennas) have multiple signals, can be dual band, and if linked with MIMO routers give faster and better quality signals.

While I agree this is normally the case, I actually struggle with N in my house. Router is the other end of the house (using an apple timecapsule), my laptop a macbook pro with a wireless N card works brilliantly on G, Its not the strongest signal where I use it (about 60%), however switching to N my signal drops to around 23% and doesnt sustain a constant signal. If I move one room closer N dominates the G but for some reason my room doesnt like N signals.

As someone mentioned earlier, if you dont mind a bit extra on cost and are willing to use homeplugs, then this is deffinately the way to go, brilliant connection through them as its just a wired connection using the electrical cables in your home. The only thing to watch out for with the homeplugs is if you have a set of logitech Z5500 surround speakers. When my homeplugs are in I cannot use the speakers as the bass constantly pops.

jd123

While I agree this is normally the case, I actually struggle with N in my house. Router is the other end of the house (using an apple timecapsule), my laptop a macbook pro with a wireless N card works brilliantly on G, Its not the strongest signal where I use it (about 60%), however switching to N my signal drops to around 23% and doesnt sustain a constant signal. If I move one room closer N dominates the G but for some reason my room doesnt like N signals.

As someone mentioned earlier, if you dont mind a bit extra on cost and are willing to use homeplugs, then this is deffinately the way to go, brilliant connection through them as its just a wired connection using the electrical cables in your home. The only thing to watch out for with the homeplugs is if you have a set of logitech Z5500 surround speakers. When my homeplugs are in I cannot use the speakers as the bass constantly pops.

------ You could try a surge protection adapter on your surround sound device as this will filter out the effect of the homeplugs. Homeplugs don't work through surge protection plugs. these cost as little as a five from places like argos, b&Q etc etc